Do you go to garage sales?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2007, 07:55 AM
tonyarn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What types of things do you look for or buy? Do you ever find yourself buying unneccessities because "it's a garage sale" and it's cheap? What are some of the best deals you've ever gotten?

Benjamin 2/2/09

***site contains pictures***
I have 3 angels waiting for me in heaven.
March 15th, 2007, 09:58 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I shop garage sales when I see good looking ones. My best deal ever ... probably the full furnishing of my college apartment for $35 (and that included the old guy delivering it to my house 30 minutes away!).

I love garage sale deals, personally.
March 15th, 2007, 11:29 AM
CBMS
I like them... mostly for some decent clothes or baby stuff that I know I can use...

Best deal? Well... I guess there's really two. The absolutely BEST BARGAIN I got was some reallly beautiful Noritake China--I think the people didn't know what they had! We bought service for 8 plus the gravy boat and two serving plates and a serving bowl for 40 bucks, and piece by piece, we could get over 900! But I love it, so it's not for sale. The next best was a singer for 10 dollars--it was still in the bubble wrap and the box had NEVER BEEN OPENED! The sticker is still on it (from the store delivery), and it was 97 dollars! woohoo.
March 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM
tonyarn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't wait for them to start this year, I am also a garage sale junkie! This year I am thinking of buying stuff that I can sell on ebay...make some extra $$$!

Benjamin 2/2/09

***site contains pictures***
I have 3 angels waiting for me in heaven.
March 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM
CBMS
PS-my hubby is an antiques junkie... and he knows his stuff... our house is loaded with original McCoys and other fine pottery and antiques...he's the REAL garage sale freak in our family.
March 15th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Veteran
Not on a regular basis, because it's hard carting the kids around. However, I've gotten HUGE savings on craft supplies for the kids (washable markers, stickers galore, paper, etc) and on furniture that we painted and gave to the kids (desks, dressers). It can be very worth it!

March 16th, 2007, 10:35 AM
cinfy's Avatar Cool Chick
I was a garage sale junkie last year buying clothes for Alex. I didn't quite know what to buy but I couldn't resist clothes at 10 cents each! I also bought several toys and a ton of baby books. I don't think I ever bought anythign for myself.

This year, I already have a list going of what I need - baby gates, exersaucer, and sit up/stand up toys. Plus, more clothes.

There are two huge yard sale things in the next week and I'm going to both. Hoping to get good deals.

March 16th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Bluebunnygirl1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love garage sales!!!

March 17th, 2007, 08:23 PM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love my best friend and I were out today at them. I got a computer desk with a hutch for $75. And a box full of lego blocks, a couple little toys and a valance for Peyton's room for $2.75.

My best yard sale find was a Lane recliner for $5.

March 18th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Mjp121212's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've clothed my son since birth on garage sales! There's 2 huge ones wher eI am every year and I save my money all year for them. I get him gymboree stuff, gap, levis all the top brands for way cheap! I get them for the summer and the next fall and he still has some I bought last year for next year!

I like estate sells too. speaking of noritake I have a HUGE set of crestmont pattern from an estate sale for 75$ and I have service for 8, plus all the extras and a clock of Haviland blue garland pattern---priced at 35 na dI talke them down to 30 lol

The noritake is worth around 900 and the haviland at least 600! Those are my two best buys I think. But I get stuff like that.

Thanks to Maitri for my wonderful siggy!
March 19th, 2007, 03:52 AM
meli.ann's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't go to any last year, but I love them! My best deal was the full size stand up freezer that my husband and I found for $25. We had just bought our first house and wanted to get one, so that worked out REALLY well! It's been almost 4 years, and it's still working great.

Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero. ~Marc Brown

March 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM
julieet76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to julieet76
95% of my baby's stuff came from garage sales. Including his round crib and dresser/changing table.

Hmm I don't think I have ever gotten a REALLY awsome deal. I paid $5 bucks for his bouncer that looks brand new. LOL it has already made back its money he lives in it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search