Anybody here get WIC?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2007, 11:26 AM
CBMS
OK... I am kind of just venting a bit, I guess...

we get WIC. I don't lie to get it--we just qualify for it. We're a single-income family, and we fall just below the cut off...

anyway... I am extremely careful with my own money, so I try and do the exact same thing for WIC. Like--I *KNOW* I don't buy cheese very often, so I always use those coupons for WIC; same with juice coupons. I don't buy it very often at all, so I normally use them for WIC...

well, I went to get the BOGO block cheese at Winn Dixie (I get 1 lb. of chunk cheese on WIC--the exact ones that are BOGO, and with WIC, you get all the frees and stuff that normal customers get...) so I also have coupons for the cereal, juice, and the cheese... the girl looks at me when I say, "no, no, not yet... I have coupons." and says, in an extremely rude voice, "for WIC?" I was like, "yeah--for WIC. They help me save money; I try to do them the same favor."

I just get really irritated when A) coupons are such a hassle, and B.) like I/we/anyone getting WIC or the like should just take what we can get and run... We help pay for that fund, too... and if we all used coupons for those things, then the funds would go further! Right?

anyway... I just wanted to ask--do any of you others that get WIC [or foodstamps] use coupons? Or am I really that alone on this? I seem to get this reaction almost EVERY TIME!!! (although... not quite--this time she was a little rude; normally it's more of a shock instead of acting like they're bothered by coupons)...
March 26th, 2007, 11:49 AM
paganempath
Everyone said that I should've signed up for WIC but I didn't. It wouldn't have actually saved me any money because of my unique situation. I don't drive so DH has to take time off work to drive me to appts. and such. So it made absolutely no sense to lose almost $20 an hour in overtime to go to the WIC office for appts. just to save on some food. Especially since I shop with coupons-- I've only paid full price for formula maybe once or twice. Sorry for the sorta OT story so back to the question at hand...

If I were on WIC, I'd probably use coupons too. I know there are some people who don't care since they're getting it for free. But this is the way I see it-- spending the max amount just makes the program harder for people to get and harder to keep it available for those who really need it.

Screw the people who give you a hard time. They should commend you rather than give you attitude.
March 26th, 2007, 12:05 PM
tonyarn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used to get WIC, but I wasn't a couponer then. I did usually get the store brand, though. If I knew about couponing then, I'd have used them...especially if I could get BOGO's still!!!

Benjamin 2/2/09

***site contains pictures***
I have 3 angels waiting for me in heaven.
March 26th, 2007, 04:21 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I wouldn't feel bad about using the coupons with your WIC. Until you buy 2 carts full of namebrand, totally non-nutritive, filled with sugar, junky, terribly overpriced food with your government food money, and then go out to load up your bags and bags of food into the trunk of your Lexus, I think you're alright.

March 27th, 2007, 10:03 AM
LuvCaleb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to LuvCaleb
i wasnt aware that you could use coupons with WIC

and i was almost sure you couldnt use them with food stamps because that is already tax free???

I have both but have never used a coupon

but i do hate in the stores when it seems like such a hassle to do WIC, i usually do my wic and food stamps on different days so it's less mess to deal with!
March 27th, 2007, 10:29 AM
CBMS
Quote:
i wasnt aware that you could use coupons with WIC

and i was almost sure you couldnt use them with food stamps because that is already tax free???

I have both but have never used a coupon

but i do hate in the stores when it seems like such a hassle to do WIC, i usually do my wic and food stamps on different days so it's less mess to deal with![/b]

That doesn't matter. They can't discriminate your coupons from those of people paying cash. You can use coupons and stretch your food stamps out even more! Just like the free items on BOGO sales are yours despite using food stamps, you can use the coupons! The store gets their money either way, and it helps put even more food in your house.
March 27th, 2007, 10:36 AM
CBMS
I found an article on it. It's from the federal government's website on food stamps. It's on page 13.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/retailers/pdfs...ining_Guide.pdf
March 28th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Veteran
I work in a grocery store, and you can use coupons with both Wic and Food stamps. Rarely do we see someone using them with WIC though.
And on the other end of WIC, they are very picky!!! We have several every month that are returned to our store not paid because of little mistakes. Like the vendor stamp being out of the lines! It's crazy! Once the sent a letter from the WIC office with a customer stating that if we didn't carry the formula on her check she could substitute anther kind. Well we didn't honor the letter, and got an angry call from the WIC office!! Appearently it was legit. Okay so the next time that happened we honored it and gave her the formula on the letter. Guess what, it came back unpaid, with a letter stating to only allow what was typed on the check!!!!!! Stupid!
So I know atleast with me, I'm extra careful when I ring up a WIC participant because even the tiniest mistake could get me in trouble!!

Sorry to ramble on.......my point was just that yes you can use coupons on both!!

Amanda - mommy to Madison 7, Anthony 4, Harrison 1 and step-mom to Nick 8.</div>
March 29th, 2007, 12:09 PM
LuvCaleb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to LuvCaleb
well thanks for clearing that up i see coupons i could use all the time and now i know i can awesome!!
March 31st, 2007, 03:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
OK... I am kind of just venting a bit, I guess...

we get WIC. I don't lie to get it--we just qualify for it. We're a single-income family, and we fall just below the cut off...

anyway... I am extremely careful with my own money, so I try and do the exact same thing for WIC. Like--I *KNOW* I don't buy cheese very often, so I always use those coupons for WIC; same with juice coupons. I don't buy it very often at all, so I normally use them for WIC...

well, I went to get the BOGO block cheese at Winn Dixie (I get 1 lb. of chunk cheese on WIC--the exact ones that are BOGO, and with WIC, you get all the frees and stuff that normal customers get...) so I also have coupons for the cereal, juice, and the cheese... the girl looks at me when I say, "no, no, not yet... I have coupons." and says, in an extremely rude voice, "for WIC?" I was like, "yeah--for WIC. They help me save money; I try to do them the same favor."

I just get really irritated when A) coupons are such a hassle, and B.) like I/we/anyone getting WIC or the like should just take what we can get and run... We help pay for that fund, too... and if we all used coupons for those things, then the funds would go further! Right?

anyway... I just wanted to ask--do any of you others that get WIC [or foodstamps] use coupons? Or am I really that alone on this? I seem to get this reaction almost EVERY TIME!!! (although... not quite--this time she was a little rude; normally it's more of a shock instead of acting like they're bothered by coupons)...[/b]
I'm not on WIC, but I was a cashier at a grocery store for many years and I just wanted to say good for you! I don't think I ever saw anyone use a coupon for WIC (or foodstamps for that matter), but I think it's great. If you don't need to coupon to buy above and beyond what you have for WIC it's not costing you anything to save the WIC program a few cents (I'm of the every little bit helps mentality). I think it shows great character to try to save money even when it's not coming directly out of your pocket!

March 31st, 2007, 03:56 PM
Bluebunnygirl1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have used coupons for WIC purchases before. Like every so often theres a Juicy Juice coupon.

March 31st, 2007, 08:44 PM
ro8821's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really wish that I could be on WIC or/and food stamps.. But I make too much money to be on them. Which sucks, cause its not fair, that just cause I make a certain dollar amount, I can't get help!!! I need help.. I'm a coupon shopper just like everyone else and I have bills too.. I guess I just don't see why most or all of us can't be on WIC..
More power to you if your one it!

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"> </MARQUEE>

April 2nd, 2007, 07:13 PM
glory_baby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think it shows great character to try to save money even when it's not coming directly out of your pocket![/b]
Ditto. I'm not on WIC, but I might be someday, and I think it's great that you are doing what you can to spread around the blessing to others!

We love you Angel Baby...snuggled in His arms at 14weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search