HI, new heere and a cvs question

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2007, 07:23 PM
Julz81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Julz81 Send a message via Yahoo to Julz81
I just found this board, and I'm loving all the information. We really need to find some ways to save some money. So you ladies inspired me to look through the different ads this week to see what we can save on. I came across CVS and their extra bucks rewards.. how do they work? Is it like a coupon that prints out after you buy stuff that qualifies? Or is there a waiting period. Some of the deals seem too good to be true.. but if not we will be buying a bunch from the add this week.

BFP: 04/03/2014 EDD: 12/15/2014 HB: 04/30/14 (75bpm) MC: 5/2/2014 (natural)

April 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just recently started shopping at CVS and Walgreens-for their Easy Saver.

You register for a CVS card, then shop the good deals (but beware, just because they offer Extra Bucks for something doesn't make it the best deal since their prices are higher than stores like Target ,Walmart, etc.). Then you can either print your Extra Bucks at home (after 2 days) or wait until you shop again and on your next trip the Extra Bucks will print out on your receipt to be used on the next trip. (I hope that's not too confusing!!)

Walgreens has a similar program with their Easy Saver booklet. Theirs uses rebates though-you send it in once per month. You can either get a rebate check or a gift card. I use thegift card because then they give you an extra 10% (which covers tax!)

The bonus on top of it all is that you can use coupons when you get the CVS Extra Bucks or Walgreens rebates.

I've really started saving a lot and stocking up when they have good deals.
April 1st, 2007, 08:06 PM
CBMS
CVS is good--it's not too good to be true, at least.

The best deals are the ones where you get the item for free after your extra bucks.

Personally, I prefer Walgreen's because you have the option of getting actual MONEY back (there isn't always something I want to buy there!) or you can opt to get it on another card and get a 10% bonus! I usually alternate them. One month, I'll put it on the card with the bonus, and then use that to shop the next month and take the check. Then I get it added to my card... so on and so on...

If you want to do a lot of shopping at CVS (I used to when I first started my super frugal shopping), then the extra bucks are fantastic...

PS!
April 2nd, 2007, 06:02 AM
paganempath
I'm an avid CVS shopper. I like CVS for two reasons: 1. you get 2% cash back (in the form of extra bucks) on all purchases and 2. the extra bucks rewards on products. But like Kris said-- just because you can get extra bucks back on an item, don't assume it's a great deal; you need to figure out if it's the best deal you can get.

And CVS is a coupon lover's dream. I guess that'd be a third reason why I like them. They'll let you use all sorts of combinations of coupons to really save money. For example, you can use a CVS coupon for an item (they print out on your receipt), a manufacturer's coupon for the item, a manufacturer's check for the item (like formula ones), a CVS coupon for x amount off on an x amount purchase, plus any extra bucks that you have.

I must brag about my latest conquest. Yesterday I bought a pack of Huggies and a tube of toothpaste. The Huggies were on sale for $9 (regularly $10.50) and the toothpaste was $3.49. Now there is no way on earth that I would pay $3.49 for toothpaste and I didn't. I had a $1.00 manufacturer's coupon plus a $2 CVS coupon. So I actually got it for about $.73 with tax. And even though I usually like to hold out for lower sale prices on diapers, I had a $1.00 coupon and the baby was low on diapers anyway. My total came to $9.22. And since I had an extra bucks reward from last week that I hadn't gotten yet and the 1st quarter rewards came in, my extra bucks of $9.00 printed out. So I actually spent 22 cents. Not bad at all.

I think you'll really like CVS. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask us.
April 2nd, 2007, 07:15 AM
CBMS
Quote:
And CVS is a coupon lover's dream. I guess that'd be a third reason why I like them. They'll let you use all sorts of combinations of coupons to really save money. For example, you can use a CVS coupon for an item (they print out on your receipt), a manufacturer's coupon for the item, a manufacturer's check for the item (like formula ones), a CVS coupon for x amount off on an x amount purchase, plus any extra bucks that you have.[/b]

I've seen you say this before, and I just don't get it! If mine would allow all that, then I'd probably shop there more often (despite being so angry with them). None of the ones here will let you use a coupon of theirs PLUS an extrabucks on the same sale, and if I am using one of their printed coupons, I have to choose between that and the manu coup. They'll only let me use a manu coup in combination with an extrabucks. That's it. I guess all the ones by me just suck booty... They don't allow combinations of any kind (other than the extra bucks with a manu). It's obviously not the CORPORATE POLICY if they let you do it at yours! Liars... If I could save that much, I'd most likely shop there more... But I get my best, best deals using the easysaver at Walgreen's because I can't combine.

Actually... I am pretty proud of my conquest yesterday at Walgreen's. Here's what I got:

one 60 oz. clorox bleach
two clorox ready mop liquid cleaner
one box clorox ready mop pads
one package clorox wipes
colgate total advanced clean toothpaste
colgate 360 toothbrush
4 protein bars
2 bottles of dawn ultra dish detergent

My total after coupons (manuf-7.80, walgreens-1.60) and the special free toothbrush being taken off (3.99), and the advertised specials was 12.08! And it gets sweeter--the clorox has a 5.00 rebate! So I'll get another 5.50 for that (with the bonus), bringing my total for all that stuff down to: 6.58!

I am really mad at myself because I could have saved an extra dollar if I had known that my clorox coupon was preprogrammed to take the whole 2.10 off (free bleach coupon)! I had a 1.00 coupon for the store for the bleach, but I thought the free coupon would only get me the cost, period. I was so wrong. But I am still pretty psyched about getting all that for only 6.58!
April 2nd, 2007, 07:42 AM
paganempath
Wow, Kim-- not bad savings! Yes, I would say that the CVS's around you just suck. I've never had a problem with any of my coupons at the one here in town. Corporate policy my butt. Maybe you could complain and see if they'll relent. Just say this, " Teri gets to do it! It's so not fair!" Hehe.
April 3rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I just found out that there's a CVS about 20 miles from the *new* house if we end up moving there. It's apparently right around the corner from the Costco I regularly drive an hour to. I signed up for my Extracare card this afternoon. Hooray for another chance to save money.
April 3rd, 2007, 12:40 PM
tonyarn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kim, I've been going to another board that specifically talks about CVS, and some of those ladies have issues with their CVS also, but they all say to carry a cell phone and tell them you're calling corporate (1800shopcvs) and they'll change their tune real quick because they are going against corporate policy. Some of those ladies have been given gift cards from their store manager for the trouble the store has caused them.

Benjamin 2/2/09

***site contains pictures***
I have 3 angels waiting for me in heaven.
April 3rd, 2007, 01:53 PM
CBMS
Quote:
Kim, I've been going to another board that specifically talks about CVS, and some of those ladies have issues with their CVS also, but they all say to carry a cell phone and tell them you're calling corporate (1800shopcvs) and they'll change their tune real quick because they are going against corporate policy. Some of those ladies have been given gift cards from their store manager for the trouble the store has caused them.[/b]

Really? Well maybe I'll have to just see about that, then. I'm all about complaining when I've been wronged.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search