The Grocery Game

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Veteran
I think we've from time to time had questions on this board about The Grocery Game (which professes to reduce your grocery bill). I tried it out and then wrote an article about it - read it if you want:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1...ut_not_for.html

April 11th, 2007, 12:40 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been waiting for you to post this.

*runs off to read it*

April 12th, 2007, 05:14 PM
nmiracles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nmiracles
I agree with everything you have said. I have been a part of the Game before, and am back again. It works well for me because I don't really have to think too much when looking over the ads, and since I work, that is nice. When I stayed home I probably did this better on my own, but I like the Game.

Sometimes the stockpiling gets overwhelming, but I like it when I get to pull stuff down and use it.

Also, my students think I "collect" coupons, but when I explain it, they think I am the smartest woman alive. lol

I average 51% savings currently, and expect it to go up from there since I am not having to buy as much anymore.
April 12th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have never heard of the Grocery Game until you mentioned it.

In the past few months I really started keeping track of what we were spending on groceries, toiletries, etc. I started looking through the ads, writing down the items we needed and their prices and then checking my coupons too (which I also started using). I spend about 1 hour a week cutting coupons and such. I usually do it on Sunday when my son naps. It has helped tremendously! I now know what rock bottom prices are at certain stores and I stick to getting things then. Of course, every once in awhile it doesn't work out and man do I hate to have to pick something up when it isn't at its cheapest!!! I wish I would have gotten smart sooner!
April 12th, 2007, 06:53 PM
You've convinced me. I just signed up for the newspaper ($8.00 per month) and once I start getting it, then I'll sign up for the trial and see how it goes.

April 13th, 2007, 06:20 AM
BambolinaItaliana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i am convinced too!! When we do move in June, I will be working full time with a part time job (maybe) and I don't think I will have time to play with coupons!! so we will try it out and see how it goes.
just a couple of Qs for you.....
How long did it take you to understand all of it and get the hang of it??
and
How many lists do you buy every month?? and how did you decide which list from which store was best for you??
Kimberly

[/url]<a href="http://lilypie.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
</a>
</a>
x7
April 13th, 2007, 04:15 PM
nmiracles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nmiracles
Quote:
just a couple of Qs for you.....
How long did it take you to understand all of it and get the hang of it??
and
How many lists do you buy every month?? and how did you decide which list from which store was best for you??
Kimberly[/b]
It is really self explanatory, not hard to pick up at all. There is a sample list on grocerygame.com that you can look at. They also have game rules and stuff for your specific list stores. You may also want to check out the free forum.

I buy Kroger, Walgreens, and CVS. Kroger b/c they double and triple, Walgreens b/c of the rebates, and CVS b/c of the EBCs.
April 15th, 2007, 09:25 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I've thought about doing this before. Someone remind me ... when you buy the lists ...

1. ... it costs how much?
2 ... it's good for how long?

Thanks, and I dug the article. I ran over and read it when I saw your original post, but hadn't been back to comment since then. Nice work!
April 17th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Veteran
For the first month you pay $1 and can add as many stores to the list as you want (I suggest adding a lot, since you don't pay more and get to try it out). After that, you want to be pickier. I have 3 stores on my list now, but will be changing to only 2 that I now know I use/need.

You pay quarterly - So for every 3 months it's $10 for one store, $5 for each store you add (something like an extra 63 cents a week for adding stores - you'll make that up in coupons easily).

I had budget savings immediately, and continue to see my monthly costs go down as I learn more.

BTW, if any of you do sign up and want to be really nice to me , I'd love it if you said I referred you. There's a place to put the referral and you enter my email: wenburg@gmail.com

Glad you all liked the article!

April 17th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Quote:
For the first month you pay $1 and can add as many stores to the list as you want (I suggest adding a lot, since you don't pay more and get to try it out). After that, you want to be pickier. I have 3 stores on my list now, but will be changing to only 2 that I now know I use/need.

You pay quarterly - So for every 3 months it's $10 for one store, $5 for each store you add (something like an extra 63 cents a week for adding stores - you'll make that up in coupons easily).

I had budget savings immediately, and continue to see my monthly costs go down as I learn more.

BTW, if any of you do sign up and want to be really nice to me , I'd love it if you said I referred you. There's a place to put the referral and you enter my email: wenburg@gmail.com

Glad you all liked the article![/b]
I'll put that you referred me. I'll be signing up as soon as I start getting the newspaper delivered. Hopefully the beginning of May. Thanks!

We only have 2 stores in my area. BUT, last time I checked, we didn't have ANY, so I'm excited anyway.

April 17th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Veteran
Do you have to put in credit card info to pay?? If not, how do you pay them? I am not signed up for pay pal.
April 18th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Veteran
I used a credit card

April 18th, 2007, 06:40 PM
hmcart's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to hmcart
I think I will sign up now. I will say you referred me.
April 20th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Veteran
For those of you that have done this before, does it cost a lot more money to get started??? Did you have to have an enormous amount of space to stockpile??? Right now we only have the freezer in the refrigerator. Is it only on staples or does it include meats, etc.????
April 23rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Veteran
I have a freezer and a bookshelf where I put our stockpile - I don't go overboard at all. I have found that my costs still went down right from the start, but I also probably don't stockpile to the extent some people do. I really think it's up to you - you decide what you'll want to stockpile for a 12 week period and then go with it. In my case, I do stockpile the meat as well as other items.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search