What will (or did) you have for dinner tonight?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2007, 02:49 PM
CBMS
I'm making baked chicken, white macaroni, skillet bread, spinach (for DH and me), and peas for the kids...

I was thinking something lazy, but I *really* want skillet bread!!!
April 12th, 2007, 05:48 PM
paganempath
We had spaghetti with turkey instead of ground beef. It was a new thing I tried; I doubt I'll make it again. I have this weird aversion to meat in spaghetti so I think I'll have my mine plain from now on.

What's skillet bread?
April 12th, 2007, 07:42 PM
CBMS
I have started using ground turkey for almost everything because of DH's cholesterol... I use it in spaghetti, sloppy joes, chili, tacos, etc...

Now... the skillet bread. OMgoodness! It's bread that instead of baking, you fry it in a skillet and brush it with butter... it's delicious and cheap.

You can get the recipe in the frugal recipes thread. You can use water or milk, any type of fat (veg oil, shortening, lard, etc), any kind of flour (I even use 1 cup of ground up oatmeal to add some whole grain--I just put it in the blender until it's really fine, like flour), salt, sugar, and yeast. And you can use half the yeast it calls for and just start a little earlier and let it rise a bit longer. I do that for all my bread. I'm too cheap to buy all that yeast!
April 12th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
grilled chicken, rice, and macaroni and cheese. I love grilled chicken!!!

April 13th, 2007, 05:01 AM
CBMS
Chicken and mac n cheese seems to be popular.
April 13th, 2007, 06:51 AM
cinfy's Avatar Cool Chick
I'm a carb-a-holic. I love bread. I'll have to try that.

I made fettucine Alfredo with chicken. Only, really it was spaghetti alfredo with chicken. I thought we had the right pasta, but didn't. But it all tastes fine anyway! I'm going through my recipes and trying to make new dishes. I'm trying to make stuff from scratch rather than from a jar. The alfredo sauce was 2 sticks of butter, 2 cups of whipping cream, and 2 cups of parmesean. Uh.. can we say not healthy? But there was chicken in there. Haha.

Thanks Typical Heroine!!

April 13th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
For today Friday. I am making minestrone soup. It will be one of those soup mixes in the baggy. But I will add a little extra veggies to make it more home made. Then some ham and cheese sandwiches on rolls. There is still some bannana cream pie left from last night. We'll have that today also.
April 14th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Veteran
Last night we had cube steak breaded and fried. My DH usually does the cooking and he made it. It was very good. Tonight, we had crab cakes,my favorite!!! My MIL and FIL are visiting and they sprang for the crab meat. I have a very good recipe I use.
April 15th, 2007, 08:38 AM
CBMS
I'm terrible and didn't take anything out!

Now what the heck am I going to do?! UGH!

Sounds like I may be doing something simple like hamburger potato soup or chili.... I'm so darn absent-minded lately with dinner...

I am a terrible wife/mom as of late...
April 15th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We having leftover chicken/veggie/whole wheat pasta salad. It lasts about three meals when I make the whole box of macaroni.

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

April 15th, 2007, 09:31 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
DH is gone. I had Olive Garden's Chicken Crostina. The parents of my friend that delivered her first baby yesterday took me with them to dinner when we left the hospital and sprang for it because I'm a cool girl to hang around with apparently. Hooray them! It was REALLY good, better I think, because I didn't have to pay for it! Had I just gone home instead, I don't know that I would've made anything. Cooking and I are not friends right now. Too much hurl factor for the smell of cooking.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search