New here with a few somewhat unrelated questions

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone know how much the big box of Target brand diapers run, and how many are in a box (size 1, 2, 5)?

Also, I plan on doing a big grocery run next weekend and have some "frugal" questions. First of all, what's the best way to keep frozen foods from not getting frost bitten? Next, do you get your meat at a butcher's, the supermarket, Super Wal-mart, Aldi's, where? About how much do you pay for your meat and what kinds do you get?

Have you ever bought a part of an animal (cow or pig)? If so, how much did it run you and how much did you get?

Thanks so much!

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

April 15th, 2007, 06:56 AM
CBMS
Quote:
Does anyone know how much the big box of Target brand diapers run, and how many are in a box (size 1, 2, 5)?[/b]
I am not sure of the amount that it's in them, but I know they are reasonably priced. I've seen them on sale for 13.99... however, I've done the math before, and you can get better deals on name brand diapers if you keep your eyes peeled!

Quote:
Also, I plan on doing a big grocery run next weekend and have some "frugal" questions. First of all, what's the best way to keep frozen foods from not getting frost bitten? Next, do you get your meat at a butcher's, the supermarket, Super Wal-mart, Aldi's, where? About how much do you pay for your meat and what kinds do you get?[/b]
First of all--I learned a long time ago not to go to Wal Mart. I don't like their meats. I just don't think they are as high quality as I get at the supermarket. There isn't a butcher (that I know of) around here, so I go with the supermarkets. Usually Save a Lot, Publix, and Winn Dixie.

We buy mostly split chicken breasts (if I find a heck of a deal), boneless skinless chicken breast (also if I find a heck of a deal), and whole chickens (I usually get these), and whole turkey, and I get ground turkey chubs for .99. I don't get ground beef much at all anymore because of cholesterol issues. I can normally pick up whole chickens from .69-.89/lb. Split breasts are usually around .99-1.39/lb (after the deal I find--usually a BOGO), and the boneless skinless chicken breast usually runs 1.49-1.99/lb. (depending on the deal--BOGO's here are better, sometimes Albertson's has them for 1.78 or 1.68/lb.) I'll also get london broils if the price is right--I pick it up when it's between 1.99 and 2.49/lb. I get shoulder roasts at Save a Lot for 2.79/lb. A family pack of three good sized roasts is normally right around 13-14 dollars. I don't do a lot of beef, but we do like to have a treat now and then. Sometimes I get those bagged chicken breasts (frozen) if they are on a really really good deal. They aren't quite as good because they shrink up from the water that's been put in them... but if they're a really good deal, I go with it.

When I find really great deals on meats, I stock up--BIG TIME. I currently have about 200 pounds of meat in my freezer. Part of that is left from all the chicken wings my dad got a deal on! He got them for 12.5 cents a pound! He didn't have a big enough freezer for all that he bought, so he gave some to us, to my sister, and to my brother... That helped a lot!

Quote:
Have you ever bought a part of an animal (cow or pig)? If so, how much did it run you and how much did you get?[/b]
I remember my parents buying a side of beef (half a cow), and it lasted forEVER! It filled up a good sized chest freezer... and I don't remember how much it cost them, but that would be inconsequential at this point since it was so long ago.

Good luck.

(ps--I never shop without my coupons!!!! )

Pss--
April 15th, 2007, 07:34 AM
hmcart's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to hmcart
I cant help you on the diapers. The closest Target to us is 30 miles away so I get diapers at walmart.

As for meat I dont get it at walmart either. I like to go to our local supermarkets. Their meat always looks better. We eat alot of ground beef(I know its not the healthiest) we also get fish, boneless skinless chcken breast.

Never have bought a side of any animal. Our bigest problem is storing our frozen foods. We dont have a lot of freezer space. We usually dont get more meat than we can eat in a few weeks.
April 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks, ladies!

I do like getting meat at Save-a-Lot. When I can't get to Aldi's, that's generally where I go. I don't normally get coupons except for diapers/baby stuff. How do you get your coupons? I remember my mom always clipping them, but I never get any.

Keep the replies coming! Thanks!

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

April 15th, 2007, 10:06 AM
CBMS
I get coupons in the Sunday paper... and I print coupons at

http://smartsource.com/

and

www.coupons.com (I can't link that one, because it links directly to my account--you have to register, and it uses cookies.
April 15th, 2007, 02:44 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never spend more than $2.00/lb on meats. When I see them on a good sale, I stock up, usually buying 20-30lbs at a time.
I can usually find:
~boneless skinless chicken breasts for between $1.49-1.99
~Ground beef or ground sirloin (no more than 15% fat) for between $1.49-1.99
~Whole chicken $0.59-0.69
~London Broil $1.77-1.99 (This is a very lean meat, I use it for grilling, stews, stirfrys, etc)

April 15th, 2007, 09:40 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I buy meat at Meijer and occasionally Save A Lot. I was really impressed with their beef, not so much with their chicken. I love buying frozen chicken breasts or breast tenders when they're BOGO (about every 4-5 weeks here). They run $12 for like 9 pounds, and you get one free. It's the best deal in town (at Meijer, btw). I only buy meat on sale, and keep a solid stock of TVP (textured veggie protein) for when meat isn't on sale and we've some how used our freezer supply. It's pretty cheap stuff, and once re-hydrated can be used in a million ground meat applications without anyone being the wiser. Plus, it has more protein, less fat, and is over all better for it. What can I say, my vegetarian habits die hard.

I, like Zacksmama (we share a brain, me thinks), do not pay more than $2/lb for meat. We've never bought a side of animal, but we've talked about it. I have a plan to order one in the fall from the local organic farmer near my soon to be new house. By then we'll be all moved, and will have a deep freeze large enough to handle a full side. Then, I'll have organic beef for a much lower than supermarket price because of the bulk, and it'll last until I can get it fresh in the spring (when the organic farmer's market reopens). I just can't wait ...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search