Need your opinions on our latest home improvement project...

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2007, 09:38 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought I would post this here since you ladies understand the meaning of a bargain.

We are putting new vinyl sheet flooring/linoleum in our spare bathroom. Dh got a GREAT deal on some really, really pretty linoleum but it's shades of tan and gray.

My walls are white with specks of light blue and my countertops are light blue. The man at the floor place told me it would look great b/c tan is a neutral color. Now mind you I'm trying to do this project for as little money as possible but I still want it to look good.

What do you think??? I'm thinking of painting the walls a cream color. Should I or do you think it will look fine the way it is???

BTW, there was a huge sign at the flooring store that read

HUSBANDS MAY NOT BUY FLOORING WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THEIR WIFE. LOL!!

Thanks Ladies!!

April 21st, 2007, 11:22 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you have any pix you can share? I'm more visual with this sort of thing.

April 22nd, 2007, 06:15 AM
CBMS
Quote:
Do you have any pix you can share? I'm more visual with this sort of thing.[/b]

I know our walls are tan (actually, it's a Ralph Lauren called parchment), and the flooring we are looking at has blues and browns and tans and grays, so it's possible that it will go, but I'd still like to see a pic for a better determination.
April 22nd, 2007, 07:49 AM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
BTW, there was a huge sign at the flooring store that read

HUSBANDS MAY NOT BUY FLOORING WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THEIR WIFE. LOL!!

Thanks Ladies!![/b]

We need this sign in our store for countertops.

Do you have any of the paint left? Maybe you could paint something with your paint or the color of your countertop. Then take that paint swatch with you to the flooring store to see how the two colors look together. Another option would be to ask the flooring sales man to cut a sample of that flooring so that you can take it home and look at it in your light and with your colors. They should do this without a problem. And you could take pics so that we could see

HTH

April 22nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here are some pics

Thanks Ladies!

April 23rd, 2007, 05:51 AM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that flooring would go nicely with your walls and countertops. It looks like it has a lot of the same color tones. And wow, from the pics that looks a lot like tile. A person would probably have to actually get close to the floor to see that it was not. I say go for it, I think that the grey in the flooring would actually look a little blueish once you get it in your home. As for painting, you could paint the room cream and it would look great but it would also look very nice with the current walls.

April 23rd, 2007, 06:53 AM
CBMS
It looks to me like it would mesh. I'd go for it.

Even if you think (after it's down) that the walls should be painted--I think the tan and the blue definitely go well together.

Good luck! Have fun!
April 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If that last picture is your countertop, I think it would work well with the flooring you've picked out. Those grey hints in the linoleum actually look blue in the pictures - I'm guessing that they've got blue undertones, and the counters would be a nice complement to that.

I would, however, tear down the wallpaper and paint a soothing beige or cream on the walls. This is for a few reasons:

1) The wallpaper pattern is pretty bold. Combine that with the pattern on the floor and it could get a bit... blinding. IMO it'd be like wearing striped pants and a polka-dotted shirt. Each is fine on its own, but together it's too much - especially since spare bathrooms are usually pretty small spaces. The less patterend detail you have, the better.

2) Simple beige paint will ground the area with a basic neutral. It'll also tie in the tile to the rest of the room.

3) I'm not a big fan of wallpaper to begin with, so I suppose I'm biased there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search