Frugal [meal] recipe of the week

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2007, 08:22 AM
CBMS
I put in a request for a subforum, but it's not up yet, so I guess I'll have to put it here instead.

Ah well...

Here we go. This is priced out for four people.

We're having:

London Broil (I use 1 or 1.25 #) $2.49 average (I normally get it for less--I only buy it when it's cheap)
seasoned steak potatoes (three or four potatoes) (~12 per 5 lbs) $.50
and a veggie of your choice. (I like green beans with LB). $.45

(added for oil, seasonings and bullion cube-$.25; 1/2 packet of onion soup mix-$.20 TOTAL: $3.89)

First, a few hours before you plan to bake your london broil, take it out of the fridge and place on a plate. Season with some garilc powder, onion powder, and steak seasoning (all are .50 or .79 @ Save a lot--many uses)

I leave the broil, covered, on the counter to bring temp closer to room temp. It's beef, so don't worry! It's not like leaving chicken out.

London broil:
set oven to 450. Place on cookie sheet [or a roasting pan] with a rack on it (I use the rack from my roasting pan on my cookie sheet). Place in oven. Leave it be for a while! Set timer for 15 minutes (if you like a medium roast, 30 if you like it more well!)

Potatoes:
Meanwhile, scrub potatoes and cut into wedges. You can peel or leave skin on. I like skin. In a large bowl, mix 2 TBSP. vegetable or olive oil with 1/2 packet of onion soup mix. Put potatoes in and mix around so they're all coated. Arrange in single layer on a cookie sheet that's been coated with cooking spray.

Place in oven AFTER the first time for the broil is up. Set timer for 30 minutes. Leave the broil alone! A lot of poking and prodding interrupts it's good, juicy cooking.

After the 30 minutes, check the internal temp of the broil in the thickest spot. I like to take mine out at 145-150; then I cover it and leave it for about ten minutes--it continues to cook up to medium as it sits, and gets really juicy, too). If you want it more well done, cook until 155-160 in middle and do the same--cover with foil or a metal pan over a plate and leave it for about ten minutes.

Potatoes should be tender after 30 minutes--sometimes they may need a few more minutes, depending how thick you have them. I remove and put in a covered dish.

Begin your veggies (I use frozen) as you are waiting to carve your broil.

Add 1/2 cup of hot water to your hot baking sheet (from the broil) and use fork to break [some of the] baked juices loose. Add this to a pan to boil with 1 beef bullion cube. This is your au jus.

After the ten minutes, carve cross grain and serve with the veggies that should now be done, and the potatoes. I serve with au jus on the side.

*notes... I know 450 seems high, and it is, but this make the outside quickly become slightly charred (not black though) so it locks the juices inside. Don't play with the temps! You may have to play with your times if you don't have a thick cut of london broil--mine are usually at least 2" thick. I've had some get done in only 35 minutes (when they are flatter)... you just have to make sure it doesn't get black on the outside. That's a sign! lol

Also, make sure sure sure you don't do lots of poking in it! That makes the juices drain. You'll end up with a dry broil. You should only temp once or twice, and then cover well and let sit. This is also an important process. If you cut it too soon, the juices all fall out and it becomes dry.

ENJOY!
April 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
hmcart's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to hmcart
I cant wait to try it!
April 23rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's in the oven as I type! Sure smells good.

I'm curious what brand of onion soup mix you use and where you get it because the only kind that was at our grocery store was the Knorr stuff and it was $1.55 for the 1 packet.

April 23rd, 2007, 08:08 PM
CBMS
Quote:
It's in the oven as I type! Sure smells good.

I'm curious what brand of onion soup mix you use and where you get it because the only kind that was at our grocery store was the Knorr stuff and it was $1.55 for the 1 packet.[/b]

No way! Really? I get it at Save a lot--a 2 pack is .79, so it's 4 uses for those taters.
April 23rd, 2007, 08:50 PM
We don't have a save-a-lot. This was at WinCo, which is our warehouse discount store with the cheapest everyday prices. I've come to terms with everything being more expensive here though (Cali), guess even little stuff like Knorr onion soup mix, lol.

The potatoes are super yummy. Meat's not done yet. I made the taters ahead of time so the kids could have some before bed. They weren't interest, thank goodness, cuz I want to eat them all!

April 23rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
CBMS
Wow. That's crazy... I got some called "hospitality" once... I think I picked up like 20 packets! I got them for .10 each! I took the last of what they had. I don't know why they were clearancing them out... but hooray for me!
April 23rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Wow. That's crazy... I got some called "hospitality" once... I think I picked up like 20 packets! I got them for .10 each! I took the last of what they had. I don't know why they were clearancing them out... but hooray for me! [/b]
Next time you see a sale like that, buy all they have and ship 'em to me, lol.

April 23rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
OMG, Kim. I'm eating it right now and it's absolutely DELICIOUS!!! THANK YOU! I vote for a meal of the DAY instead of a meal of the week, lol.

Yes, I know it's pathetic that I'm eating my dinner alone at my computer, don't rub it in.

April 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
It's not pathetic, Jess. I do it all the time. Or ... maybe we're pathetic together ... lol.

(and we totally have TWO Save-A-Lots ... )
April 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
CBMS
Quote:
OMG, Kim. I'm eating it right now and it's absolutely DELICIOUS!!! THANK YOU! I vote for a meal of the DAY instead of a meal of the week, lol.

Yes, I know it's pathetic that I'm eating my dinner alone at my computer, don't rub it in. [/b]

You like?

It's so EASY! I love making broil! I think I forgot to tell you to slice it pretty thin... but it's normally pretty juicy so I guess it doesn't matter all that much.

(why are you eating alone at the puter?)
April 23rd, 2007, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I sliced it nice and thin and it was PERFECT, so juicy and tender. LOVED it!

I didn't have dinner ready in time to eat with the kiddos, so I just made them a quick kid-friendly dinner (sausage & toast, and a jar of baby food veggies for Ethan too.) I know, bad mommy! Dh works nights, so he sleeps 'til 8pm and then leaves for work, so that leaves me by myself eating a late dinner at my computer. But, I threw in a nice glass of white zin for good measure. mmmm....toasting to Mandi, my partner in crime!

April 24th, 2007, 08:31 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
10:28PM EST -- Mandi's Frugalist Dinner Yet

I'm sitting at my computer, posting away, eating a late dinner of day old french bread I got for 98 cents, pepperoni-like sausage from some gourmet place I found in the pantry, a hunk of colby cheese that was left in the crisper, and a 99 cent pound of strawberries that were soooooo perfect looking (and oh so cheap). Mmmm, mini-sandwiches, strawberries, and the bottle of Asti I just found while cleaning out the booze cabinet during my "Pack The Kitchen" spree.

Cheers! To eating (and drinking) alone!

April 25th, 2007, 06:59 AM
tonyarn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I buy onion soup mix at Wal-Mart (Great Value brand) for 88 cents for a 2 pack...do you have a Wally World near you?

Benjamin 2/2/09

***site contains pictures***
I have 3 angels waiting for me in heaven.
April 25th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Quote:
I buy onion soup mix at Wal-Mart (Great Value brand) for 88 cents for a 2 pack...do you have a Wally World near you?[/b]
Doesn't everyone? I just HATE going there. I only go every 6 months or so, but I'll add that to my list for when I actually work up the courage to head there again.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search