Thursday's thrifties

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2007, 05:14 AM
CBMS
Thrifty baby tips:

Homemade Disposable Baby Wipes
First, buy a Bounty Big Roll and cut it in half. In a plastic container, mix 2 1/4 cups warm water, 2 T baby oil & 2 T baby wash. Add the half roll of paper towel ´til it is soaked through (you will need to flip it once), then pull out the cardboard center. These are excellent for diaper changes and for cleaning of little hands. Then save the other half of the roll for the next use.

Free Formula
For a free 16 oz. can of Baby Basic formula call 1-800-864-9652. Limit one free can per household.

Reusable Baby Wipes
Cut old t-shirts or worn cloth diapers into "wipe-size" and make a solution of 2 tablespoons baby shampoo with 2 cups water. Soak the t-shirt scraps until they are really wet; ring out the excess and store them in a plastic bowl with a cover. Keep a plastic bag with you for the soiled ones... soak, wash and reuse them.

Free Safeway SELECT Infant Formula
Call toll free at 1-866-236-6455 and receive a voucher for a free 16 oz. can of Safeway SELECT Infant Formula. Limit one can per household.

Thrifty tips about children:

The Cereal Box Secret
Don´t spend so much money on cereal for your children just because they want the name-brand, more expensive stuff. Instead, keep the boxes from the expensive cereals, and start filling them with store-brand cereal. As long as the box looks right, your kids probably won´t be able to tell the difference.

(*of course, when they get older, they realize what expirations are, so watch that. )

Car Seat Installation
Call (877) FIT-4-A-KID for to find a facility or certified car seat installer near you. They will help you install your car seat correctly, no matter what kind of car or car seat you have.

Start a Child Care Exchange
Exchange sitting favors with friends. Have your friends take your children to their house while you stay home and cook a romantic dinner, go to the movies, or enjoy other couple-time activities with your spouse. Then when your friends want to go out, you will watch their children.

Thrifty tips for households:

Make Your Own Stain Remover
Mix 1 part laundry detergent, 1 part hydrogen peroxide, and 1 part water in a spray bottle. Spray stains and rub material together or scrub with a soft brush if needed.

Marinade Sauce
Here´s an economical recipe for marinade sauce. When you open a can of pineapple, save the juice. Add soy sauce, and seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic, etc.), and you have a great marinade sauce. Vary the flavor by adding a dab of preserves or adding other saved liquids.

Carpet Deodorizer
To make your own carpet deodorizer combine 3/4 cup baking soda, 2 tbsp corn starch, and 1/4 cup scented talcum powder. Sprinkle on dry carpet, let stand 5 to 15 minutes, then vacuum.

Carpet Stain Remover
Using one part white vinegar to four parts hot water, pour the mixture on a carpet stain. Take several white paper towels folding them over each other and lay them over the area, then press with a hot iron. (You will want to work on small areas at a time -- at least no bigger than your paper towels.) The vinegar and heat will lift the dye out of the carpet and into the paper towel. Your paper towels will turn the color of the dye you are lifting out so you can SEE it working. Keep pouring the cleaner on the areas and change your towels when soiled. Just keep this process up until your paper towels are no longer turning color. This method works for Kool Aid & other impossible to get rid of stains.

A Full Freezer
A full freezer uses less electricity than an empty one.

borrowed from here:

http://thrifty.lifetips.com/
May 17th, 2007, 09:27 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Thanks! Now I will have to add this cereal switcheroo to my laundry list of undercover frugal activities. Most of the time, generic cereal isn't a big deal, but perhaps now I won't hear the complaining about it.

If you can find a way to turn ground beef into porterhouse, I'd be much obliged. Haha.
May 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM
CBMS
Quote:
If you can find a way to turn ground beef into porterhouse, I'd be much obliged. Haha.[/b]

Oh my goodness... my FAVORITE cut! my husband will be UNhappy with you in 1.7 hours.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search