Frugal Gifts???

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Veteran
My DH and I went to a wedding tonight. One of my coworkers was getting married and we were invited. I am close to her at work, but we don't really hang out outside of work. Anyway, we spent a fortune on a gift and of course blew our budget this week!!!! I was just wondering, what do you ladies do when an occasion comes up??? I like to try and buy gifts that look like more money than they are. For example, at Christmas, I had one of those Kidstuff coupons books for vendors in the area and used them on gifts and got $5 off of things and tried to combine them with sales so it looked like I spent more than I did. However, weddings are hard because I guess you are supposed to spend a certain amount. Do you ladies have any ideas?????
May 19th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
First thing - like you said try to take advantage of sales and coupons. If I see something for a steal that i know I can use as a present in the future I go ahead and pick it up. For weddings, I'll look on their registry and try to buy something in my price range off of it. There usually a small appliance for around $20, or I get some of the towels they've registered for. Even if I don't spend a whole lot I know it's something that they can use (and one of their rich uncles can buy them that kitchen aid mixer ha!)

May 20th, 2007, 08:57 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I largely ignore registries, and build baskets of useful supplies around a different theme. For example, I'll have a stock pile of cleaning supplies that I've gotten for almost free, and I'll build up a nice looking bucket with the supplies in it. They're practical, and everyone needs them. I also do barbeque, picnic, baking, pizza night, car wash, and a million other varieties. If there's a holiday, there's a potential basket for it, and I probably already have almost everything I need for it. Hooray.
May 20th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I tend to spend about $100-150 on a baby gift or wedding gift, so that may not be so frugal. I totally pay attention to registries-I know I've gotten things not on my registry that are not things I wanted and couldn't return them bc I had no clue where they came from so I never want to do that to someone else!!! But I will watch for sales! Last year when I combined a sale with a savigns coupon fro mKohls I got my friend's dishes for like 65% off!
May 20th, 2007, 05:52 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
*shrug*

I always figured a present was a present ... I honestly don't care if the dish towels I pick out aren't the *right* ones to go with the rug or whatever. People should be more filled with gratitude and less picky. Hence, my hatred of registries.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search