meat prices?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2007, 09:23 AM
juls2006
so i've been working on being frugal with my grocery spending. and i've really been doing good with it. but my problem is with meat prices. our local grocery store had a huge meat sale a few weeks ago and i stocked up on everything so i can just buy what's on sale with my weekly grocery money. problem is i have no idea what a good price is lol... even on sale prices seem so high. so i was just wondering what everyone else pays for meat, what is the most you will spend per lb on different kinds?

and one more question! how do i save on fruit? i spend about $50 last week at giant eagle and it only lasted 1 week but mostly any other store the fruit is almost rotten. where can i get good fruit that doesn't cost a fortune?
May 23rd, 2007, 09:51 AM
paganempath
I can't be of much help with the meat prices. I'm not huge into buying meat-- basically I only get chicken and pork chops. But I do know that at Walmart, I get about a dozen chicken thighs for $5.45. I'm not sure what the price is per pound, but I've always thought of it as a good deal. I know that you get your best chicken deals by buying whole chickens and cutting them up yourself. But I'm just not willing to do all that work. I think Kim (CBMS) can help you out with the meat prices.

As for the fruit, the only thing I can think of is to get fruit from a roadside vender if they have those around where you live. It could be cheaper than the stores. We buy our watermelons that way since they're alot cheaper than at the store. Or you could only buy the fruit that's on sale that week instead of getting a big variety each time.
May 23rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
CBMS
Meat prices vary a LOT depending on where you live. I know here, I only buy meat when the prices are: whole chicken: .58-.89/lb; split chicken breast: 1.00-1.49/lb; london broil: 1.99-2.99/lb; shoulder roasts: 2.59-2.99/lb; chicken leg quarters (I rarely get this): .49-.59/lb; boneless skinless chicken breasts: 1.69-1.89/lb.

I don't buy any pork products, so I can't help there. I stock up in a big way (my freezer always has at least 30 days of meats), and then I can add to that as the mondo sales happen.

As far as fruit--yeah, a roadside vendor or a farmer's market are the best places. Grocery stores charge more, and aren't as fresh.
May 23rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
juls2006
wow, i wanna live where you live! here london broil even on sale is over $3/lb. and chicken is way higher than what your paying. but that does give me a general idea. and i guess i'll have to figure out where we have a farmers market around here. i've never really paid much attention. since dh is on a diet and eats a lot of fruit he really throws my whole budget off lol.... thanks ladies!
May 23rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
paganempath
No problem, that's what we're here for. And to the board!
May 23rd, 2007, 10:49 AM
CBMS
I forgot... I also get chubs of ground turkey (I don't even buy ground beef anymore) for .99 each. I get a lot of my meats at Save a Lot. I don't know if they have those there or not. I also get whole turkeys there for .89/lb, sometimes less. I get a whole turkey and cut it up and make breast fillets and use the back meat and dark meat for the ground turkey. It saves money on the fillets that way. I could do the same with chicken, but normally I use a whole chicken to either roast or crock pot cook, and just eat it or I can be super frugal and make three or four meals out of one. I do that if it's a really tight month...

I looked at a couple stores by you... you're right. It's expensive there!

http://www.gianteagle.com/main/fs_ds...=1179941881067
May 23rd, 2007, 10:55 AM
juls2006
i love Save a lot lol... i actually do most of my shopping there. but even their meat isn't that much cheaper then giant eagle. only by a few cents usually. luckily they save me a ton of money on everything else
May 23rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
CBMS
That's where I get my shoulder roasts. They really have a fabulously delicious meat section. Their roasts are awesome. I pick up a roast perfect for our family for about 3 bucks! Then I bake a couple potatoes, add some green veggie, and we've got a yummy meal for pretty cheap. If you get the larger packs of roasts there, you save .30 or .40/lb! They're originally either 3.09 or 3.19/lb... but get the three pack and it's only 2.79/lb! Also, I don't know if you have a dollar tree or not, but if you have a big one, they have a freezer section. One of the things they have is dollar chubs of ground turkey. It's really not bad! I use it for everything, and my family hasn't even noticed that it's different--not even my picky husband!

Good luck finding the deals!
May 23rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never spend more than $2 per lb on meat (88% lean ground beef, london broil, boneless skinless chicken breast, pork, etc)

Fish, I won't spend more than $3.99 per lb.

Whole chicken, I won't spend more than .69 per lb.

There are some months that I don't buy any meat, but it doesn't affect my meals because I stock up when there's a good sale. I easily have at least 100 lbs of meat in my freezer right now!

May 23rd, 2007, 07:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We can usually get ground beef for as low as 1.49 (I won't pay over 1.99). Frozen chicken breasts seem to be the best deal I can find-about 1.66/pound. I refuse to have to pick it off bones ( I don''t really have the extra time.) With it being summer we've already splurged and gotten some steaks for the grill, but it's still way cheaper than going out for them!
May 23rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
A couple ideas ...

1. Do you belong to a warehouse club, or would you like to? I know I can rely on a cheaper option for meat at Costco if the sales at the regular grocery are crappy. Plus, they have other deals that are always cheaper than the regular market, like the 400 (yes, 100 x 4 ... haha) dryer sheets I got this week for $5. If there's one close and you think it's worth it, try it. They always let you browse for free (without membership) as like a trial thing, and I know Costco will refund your member fee if you don't love it there.

2. Do you run a price book? You just set up a simple spread sheet (there are lots of examples online) and keep track of the sales in your area on meats. Also, jot down the price when you go grocery shopping, even if you aren't buying meat. Most markets run on a 12 week cycle, so if you keep track for 12 weeks, you'll have a much better idea of how low the price tends to go so you can judge what is or isn't a good deal in your area. It sounds like a ton of work, but honestly, takes almost no time.
May 24th, 2007, 03:35 AM
juls2006
we do belong to a Sams club, but unfortunately everything is a good distance away from us so i don't make the trip very often. it sucks living in the middle of nowhere sometimes. and i am working on a price book, it needs a lot of work but it's getting there lol...

thanks ladies! my goal was to pay no more than $2/lb for meat, but i guess i'm just going to have to look a little harder to find it lol!
May 24th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Regular
Hello, I am new to this board. Just found it this morning. So I hope you don't mind me answering your question to.
I never pay full price for any of my meat. If I need meat I go shopping first thing in the morning(when the store opens) and buy my meat then and it is usually half price for the day old meat. You half to get there right when the store opens because alot of other people do the same thing. So I stock up on whats half price and then come home and put it in the freezer. I am a stay at home mom so we only have one income and if I did'nt get the meat half price like this we would'nt be able to afford it.
Hope that helps some.
Holly

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search