I've done this before, but I'm doing it again!

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
CBMS
What motivates you to be frugal? Is it so that you can reach a goal (ie: staying home with the kids, putting money away for the future, saving for vacation, etc)? Or is it just because you like to save money?

I really just like to save money, but it's also so that I can continue to stay home with my babies. I love being home with them. I missed so much with my older two (I was a single mommy, so I didn't have a choice) when they were babies.... I feel really blessed to be home with Maddie (and soon with the little bean, too!) I also like it when I show my DH the receipts, and then when he sees his parents, he brags on how much I got for so little money. That's nice too.

What's your motivation?
May 23rd, 2007, 11:03 AM
juls2006
i go back and forth between working ans SAHM. i get too bored and frustrated with work to stay there very long, i would much rather be at home. and for those times when i am a SAHM i got sick of living paycheck to paycheck. i want to be able to have money left over for extra stuff so i am learning how to save on everything else. once the girls are done with school next week i will staying home since paying child care would take my whole paycheck. and since i've been saving the past couple months my paychecks have been going in the bank and for the first time i actually have some savings! not very much since i only work 3 days a week but i'm proud of myself cause i have never had any savings before!
May 23rd, 2007, 11:11 AM
paganempath
I think my motivation is a mix of regret over past money problems, a desire to just save money, the ability to build up a safety net by spending less, and my need to build up my self-esteem by being good at something. I wasn't always frugal. But with me, I'm really an all or nothing kind of person. If I can't have tons of money where I don't have to worry about it, then I'll go in the opposite direction and be very frugal. I think it makes me feel better about the fact that I don't have the money I used to have. I was so stupid back then and wasted so much of it. * sigh*
May 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well a few things motivate me...

1. I just like to be cheap-I always have been. I totally shop clearance racks for clothes (well not so much shopping anymore). I love getting great deals! I get a high over saving money! I'm such a nerd!

2. I want to be able to "stay home" with our son and future kiddos (I technically work watching 2 other kids but it's with my own too!)

3. I want to be able to spend the least amount we can so that we can pay down our debt, we have a good amount, mostly due to an airplane!

4. Ultimately I would like to go back to school and get my master's-either in school administration or get certified to teach middle level math.
May 23rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
My current motivation is largely necessity. I hate the debt load we currently have, and as such I try to save as much as possible to pay it down faster ($4900 since January! Yay!). I've always been frugal by inclination, and I hate spending money on anything (except good shoes ... which means not many of them). I'm like Kris, I love love love the feeling of accomplishment that comes with saving or getting a good deal. I have a driving desire to be well on our way to out of debt before we get PG (perhaps why the fertility g-ds are not so much smiling on me yet ...) because we agree that one of us must stay home with our kids until they're in school (if they're in school ... still a debate on that one).
May 24th, 2007, 03:30 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I know I can save money, I have to. I would be furious if, at the end of the year, my total grocery bill had been $10000-$12000 (like sooo many people that I know), when we could have gotten by on $4000-$5000 comfortably. I'm a sahm, so I really HAVE to save money, but even if I had plenty of money, I'd still want to get the best deal, it's hardwired in me. Like Mandi & Kris, I feel a huge sense of accomplishment when I save a lot of money. It's almost like getting a paycheck, lol.

May 24th, 2007, 03:38 PM
lynaiah2002's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My main motivation is just to save money lol, for anything really. Mainly I like knowing we can live comfortably and afford it and I want to keep it that way

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search