Do you buy name brands?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2007, 07:50 AM
lynaiah2002's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you ladies buy name brand iteams or do you avoid them as much as possible?
May 24th, 2007, 07:53 AM
CBMS
There are a few things that I absolutely have to have name brand of. (mainly because my husband is Mr. picky). I get Uncle Ben's rice, but I only buy it when it's BOGO, and I print coupons to use at the same time. I used to be a name brand w****, but I have gotten even more frugal, so I'm not like that anymore. I used to only use Gain laundry detergent, and my husband will ONLY use Tide (or so he thinks! ) I switched to generic, and then I started filling his Tide box with generic. I buy generics now as often as I can...

I pick stuff up at Save a Lot (almost all generics), and I *love* publix brand!!
May 24th, 2007, 07:56 AM
paganempath
I'm really bad about buying name brands. I grew up basically on generic food so when it was time for me to buy groceries, I decided to live a little and go for the good stuff. With some things, there's probably not much of a difference in taste or quality but I'm not willing to find out. The only generic items I buy are paper plates, teabags, & garbage bags.
May 24th, 2007, 07:56 AM
CBMS
I forgot a couple. I will ONLY buy Scott tissue. The cheap stuff just doesn't last as long, thereby, it's not really a deal! And I only use either Viva or Scott paper towels (though if I'm broke, I'll go for generic, but that's something I rarely run out of--pick it up CHEAP and get TONS! I have four packs of each in the garage right now!)
May 24th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Phew good to hear I'm not that only one, lol. My sister says I'm weird because I'm frugal but I try to buy name brands. The store I buy from usually has the generic brands the same price as the name brand, and truthfully I trust name brand much more, from experience with a few generic iteams I also think that most generic food iteams don't taste as good as name brand and since my daughter can be picky at times I try not to change what I get.

If price goes up on name brands and you have to buy generic brand, how do you get your children to actually eat it? Like cereal for example
May 24th, 2007, 08:12 AM
CBMS
KEEP YOUR BOXES! Buy the bagged cereals, and after they go to bed, dump it in their name brand box!

As far as the quality of the generics--my DH used to think like that, too. I had to start doing all kinds of trickery because of his attitude on it. Then I discovered that almost ALL the generics are made by one of the name brand companies and placed into different packaging! (not all, but almost all!) That's when I went on a real generic kick, and I got him generic cottage cheese (a BIGGIE--he LOVES his cottage cheese). I packed his lunch, and he called me, "this is such gooooood cottage cheese. It's the real stuff. I can tell..." I was like, "yeah, right. That's the cheap crap from Save a Lot." Now he prefers it--afterall, the taste is great, and the price is even better! Same story with ME and peanut butter--I used to NEVER get generic. I tried the Save a Lot brand one time (because I was in a hurry and it was only 2.99 for the BIG jar!), and I love it! I stopped buying my brand alltogether! Just have to shop around. Lots of the generics are really good!
May 24th, 2007, 08:20 AM
paganempath
Quote:
Phew good to hear I'm not that only one, lol. My sister says I'm weird because I'm frugal but I try to buy name brands. The store I buy from usually has the generic brands the same price as the name brand, and truthfully I trust name brand much more, from experience with a few generic iteams I also think that most generic food iteams don't taste as good as name brand and since my daughter can be picky at times I try not to change what I get.

If price goes up on name brands and you have to buy generic brand, how do you get your children to actually eat it? Like cereal for example[/b]
My advice about getting children to eat generic instead of name brands would be -- what they don't know won't hurt them. I've discovered through my years of working in the food business that most people will be happy with what they think they're getting even if it's not what they actually are getting. Sometimes you have to fool them a little. Not letting the kids know that you've changed brands is usually all it takes to pass off generic as name brand. I have a story that's kinda along those lines: When I first moved in with DH, his daughter refused to try the tuna casserole that I made. She swore she hated tuna casserole. So the next time I made it, I added some crushed croutons to the top and called it crouton casserole instead. She ate it and loved it. We eventually told her the truth and she still eats it.

Quote:
KEEP YOUR BOXES! Buy the bagged cereals, and after they go to bed, dump it in their name brand box!

As far as the quality of the generics--my DH used to think like that, too. I had to start doing all kinds of trickery because of his attitude on it. Then I discovered that almost ALL the generics are made by one of the name brand companies and placed into different packaging! (not all, but almost all!) That's when I went on a real generic kick, and I got him generic cottage cheese (a BIGGIE--he LOVES his cottage cheese). I packed his lunch, and he called me, "this is such gooooood cottage cheese. It's the real stuff. I can tell..." I was like, "yeah, right. That's the cheap crap from Save a Lot." Now he prefers it--afterall, the taste is great, and the price is even better! Same story with ME and peanut butter--I used to NEVER get generic. I tried the Save a Lot brand one time (because I was in a hurry and it was only 2.99 for the BIG jar!), and I love it! I stopped buying my brand alltogether! Just have to shop around. Lots of the generics are really good![/b]
That's a great point you made about the same manufacturer making both name brand and generic foods. DH worked in two orange juice plants for several years so he knows all the secrets of O.J. Once they got done filling the orders for the name brand juice, they'd switch to the generics using the same exact juice. The only difference was the label. So all that money that people spend on Tropicana is wasted since the generic is the same.
May 24th, 2007, 08:21 AM
CBMS
Quote:
Quote:

If price goes up on name brands and you have to buy generic brand, how do you get your children to actually eat it? Like cereal for example[/b]
My advice about getting children to eat generic instead of name brands would be -- what they don't know won't hurt them. I've discovered through my years of working in the food business that most people will be happy with what they think they're getting even if it's not what they actually are getting. Sometimes you have to fool them a little. Not letting the kids know that you've changed brands is usually all it takes to pass off generic as name brand. I have a story that's kinda along those lines: When I first moved in with DH, his daughter refused to try the tuna casserole that I made. She swore she hated tuna casserole. So the next time I made it, I added some crushed croutons to the top and called it crouton casserole instead. She ate it and loved it. We eventually told her the truth and she still eats it.

Quote:

As far as the quality of the generics--my DH used to think like that, too. I had to start doing all kinds of trickery because of his attitude on it. Then I discovered that almost ALL the generics are made by one of the name brand companies and placed into different packaging! (not all, but almost all!) That's when I went on a real generic kick, and I got him generic cottage cheese (a BIGGIE--he LOVES his cottage cheese). I packed his lunch, and he called me, "this is such gooooood cottage cheese. It's the real stuff. I can tell..." I was like, "yeah, right. That's the cheap crap from Save a Lot." Now he prefers it--afterall, the taste is great, and the price is even better! Same story with ME and peanut butter--I used to NEVER get generic. I tried the Save a Lot brand one time (because I was in a hurry and it was only 2.99 for the BIG jar!), and I love it! I stopped buying my brand alltogether! Just have to shop around. Lots of the generics are really good![/b]
That's a great point you made about the same manufacturer making both name brand and generic foods. DH worked in two orange juice plants for several years so he knows all the secrets of O.J. Once they got done filling the orders for the name brand juice, they'd switch to the generics using the same exact juice. The only difference was the label. So all that money that people spend on Tropicana is wasted since the generic is the same.
[/b]

LOL! The first time my kids ate fish sticks, we told them it was chicken and let them use ranch for them! They kept saying, "these are really good chicken strips." LOL
May 24th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks ladies, I've tried that before but Lynaiah has some like sixth sense or something and she knows its not her cereal, well with some of them, lol so I just buy the generic brands on the ones she can't tell the difference lol
May 24th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We buy generic on some things, but name brand on others...it all depends on the taste/usefulness of it!

I alughed about the fish "chicken" strips bc we used to tell the kids at my day camp the same thing. Then when they started serving veggie burgers (which were SO NASTY!) we told them they were regular hamburgers! It worked for most of them!
May 24th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Veteran
Sometimes I will go ahead and buy the name brand cereal because it is cheaper than the generic if it is on sale and I have coupons. Recently, I got General Mills Cereals for 50 cents each that way (sale $2 each plus a coupon for each one plus a $10 rebate on 10). My kids go to the store with me, and I let them pick from what is on sale.
May 24th, 2007, 10:37 AM
juls2006
i buy some name brands. chips, peanut butter and cereal are a few things that just have to be name brand. the cereal i only buy what's on sale 5/$10 and then i usually have a coupon or two to use on top of that so it always ends up being cheaper than generic anyways. and i have enough cereal stockpiled that i can go months without having to buy it and just wait for a good sale that i have coupons for. my kids also like the Lays potato chips sp when they are BOGO i grab a bunch of bags. Save a lot has them for cheaper and the $ store sells Doritos family size bags for only $3. at the grocery store the regular size bags are more that that.
May 24th, 2007, 05:56 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Mmmm, trickery! B)

I buy generic on a lot of things, but like most of you I draw the line on some things. I won't buy generic condensed soup, canned fruit (I think our generic brand tastes like tin), pasta sauce (Prego or Ragu on super sale with coupons!), soda (since we don't use grocery money for it anyway), chips (when we buy them, never) or saltine crackers because every generic package I've ever opened has been stale. Other than that, it's generic all the way here, unless there's a better deal. I don't intentionally buy the no-brand. I buy the best per unit (ounce, pound, etc) deal based on the sales pricing, the coupons I have, and any available rebates.
May 24th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
It depends. Some brands do not taste good as a generic. Others do. So it's matter of what tastes good when I choose name or generic. Actually the Save A Lot brand items taste pretty good and are cheap.
May 28th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For the most part I buy the store brands. I will only buy the name brand stuff if it on sale and I have a coupon. It still must be cheaper than the store brand. Diet Pepsi is the only thing I will not compromise on.

May 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
some things I can't buy store brand. Like mac n cheese. It deosn't taste good at all unless it's Kraft. Others I will. I'm not a brand snob. Chris is when it comes to TP. He has to have Charmin.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search