I need your ladies help!

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM
lynaiah2002's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok my daughter is on a food plan, because she's very small, she's 4 going on 5 at the end of July, and she's the size of a two year old. How do I stay on budget when my daughter has to have certain foods?!
May 24th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Ok my daughter is on a food plan, because she's very small, she's 4 going on 5 at the end of July, and she's the size of a two year old. How do I stay on budget when my daughter has to have certain foods?![/b]
A lot would depend on what kind of food she needs.
May 24th, 2007, 05:20 PM
A lot of meats, veggies, fruits, breads, pastas, whole milk
May 24th, 2007, 06:10 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I would look over the grocery savings tips in a couple of the other threads on this board if you haven't already. It doesn't sound like her food plan will be too terribly different than what your family would normally eat (unless you're vegetarians ...), and there are TONS of good tips on how to save on regular grocery items. If she needs specific special items (like zacksmama buys goat's milk, and I buy gluten free pasta), then perhaps adding a line item within your budget for that would help? I don't know. Mine comes out of the regular grocery budget, but maybe have a sub-item like "We'll spend $X every month on the food plan foods" would help?
May 24th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Nothing you mentioned seems too different. Start watching prices and if need be, write down what they are...after several weeks you'll start to see which prices are the best. Meats you can aim for around $2 pound, frozen veggies you can get for about $1/pound, fruit varies based on what it is (but buy what is on sale that week), most you can get for less than $1/pound,good bread may run you about 2/loaf, pasta is pretty cheap, but if you are getting better kinds it might be around $2/pound, and whole milk should be like any other milk. This is how things are by me, I know things can vary depedning on your location, but start watching!
May 24th, 2007, 08:34 PM
CBMS
Madeline is teeny too (she can still wear 3/6 months clothes, and she's 15 months old! ), and really the only thing I do is give her a lot of fruit juices (empty calories, anyone?) and I give her boost plus, or the Walgreen's brand of that, or the ensure plus, or something like that... She LOVES those drinks, and they are heavy on calories and protein... and I can always find them on good deals somewhere.

Is there a specific diet that the doctor has given? Like do you have high cal recipes and such? Or is it a "try getting as many calories into her as possible" kind of thing? That's what I do with Madeline. I just try giving her as many calories as possible. She isn't a big meat eater, but she likes pasta (the only problem with pasta is that it's used up kind of fast, and it's not high in fat)....
May 24th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Right now it's trying to get as much calories in her as we can. Its just fustrating because I don't know what I'm doing and I don't want to buy things she doesn't need and end wasting money
May 25th, 2007, 06:17 AM
CBMS
Quote:
Right now it's trying to get as much calories in her as we can. Its just fustrating because I don't know what I'm doing and I don't want to buy things she doesn't need and end wasting money[/b]

I'd say definitely go pick up some Boost and give it a whirl. Get the Boost Plus. It's a delicious "treat" for kids, and it's packed with calories and protein. You can get coupons for it at a lot of stores (in their smartsource boxes located by the item), and right now they're on sale at Walgreen's with a 5.00 rebate on 2.
May 25th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Bam&RaynedropsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Right now it's trying to get as much calories in her as we can. Its just fustrating because I don't know what I'm doing and I don't want to buy things she doesn't need and end wasting money[/b]

I'd say definitely go pick up some Boost and give it a whirl. Get the Boost Plus. It's a delicious "treat" for kids, and it's packed with calories and protein. You can get coupons for it at a lot of stores (in their smartsource boxes located by the item), and right now they're on sale at Walgreen's with a 5.00 rebate on 2.
[/b]

Popping in from Nov PR... I was going to suggest something along the lines of Boost as well... I used to give my son Pediasure because he NEVER used to eat and it was the only thing keeping his weight up

New *PICTURE* Siggy coming soon! =)
May 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks ladies, I got some of Boost Plus for her and she loves it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search