Have you ladies considered...

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Tikka's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you ladies considered driving to a country butcher and buying your bulk meat directly from him? We live on a grain farm and buy half a cow every year and have it butchered to our liking. However I know that the local butchers sell much smaller cuts at *very* reasonable prices and the meat is supposed to be fantastic!

No pun intended, but it "cuts out" the middle man (grocery stores) and their respective profits, saving you, the end consumer heaps of $

Just a thought I had to share in that maybe someone here can put it to good use

May 26th, 2007, 08:43 AM
paganempath
Thanks for the tip. I'm not much of a meat buyer myself but maybe some of the other ladies would like to try it.
May 26th, 2007, 09:00 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How would one go about finding something like that? I don't think we have any cattle ranching nearby....

May 26th, 2007, 10:33 AM
asianmama
fil buys half a buffalo every two years from a lady who raises them strickly organic no hormones and what not. we get bout 30 pounds of buffalo from him when he does that...

havent boought regular meat from a butcher. though. maybe we should...
May 26th, 2007, 11:28 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
We're going totally local for meat by the end of summer. It takes a little planning time, as we've just moved, and I have to buy a new freezer, and wait until 'harvest' time (if you will ...), but I'm totally excited about it. I have a full pig, 20 chickens, and 1/2 a cow coming round about September. They're all from organic hormone free places, and I'm darn near giddy about it. Plus, I'll be getting beef for around about $1/pound, and it doesn't matter what cut it is like at the grocery. Organic, grain fed beef for $1 ... love it!

Jess, you can try http://www.eatwild.com/products/california.html for more info about California. You'll likely have to have yours shipped if you ordered, as you're a little too metropolitan for cow raising there. Check out a couple different places, and you should be able to find a deal that's right for you. I don't know for sure, good luck.
May 26th, 2007, 03:20 PM
tonyarn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mandi, thanks for the link...I switched "Iowa" for "California" and am definately going to look into this! I am sure living in Iowa I could do something like this, what a great idea, tikka!

Benjamin 2/2/09

***site contains pictures***
I have 3 angels waiting for me in heaven.
May 28th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Tikka's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
How would one go about finding something like that? I don't think we have any cattle ranching nearby....[/b]
Does your state have a food inspection board that could give you a list of butcher shops located in the country?

May 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
once we get a deep freezer we plan on going to a slaughter farm to get our meat.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search