I've been doing it all wrong!

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2007, 10:30 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Every Sunday I have been going and buying our local paper. We never have all the coupons you ladies talk about. The coupons this week were pretty pitiful, but the ones that were in there were some I could really use. I also bum the coupon inserts off my mom.
Well, my dad is a firefighter and we went to visit him at the station today. We were talking and I happened to notice a stack of newspapers. I went and looked through them to see if the coupons were still in there, and they were! YAY! But as I got to looking, I noticed that there were some inserts I didn't recognize, and then I remembered that they get the local paper and the Louisville paper at the firestation. The Louisville paper has all the good coupons! So for the past few Sundays since I started couponing, I've been buying the local paper because it's a little cheaper, when I could have been paying $.75 more for the Louisville paper and saving way more than that with all the good coupons! I know better now! And I'm so happy to have the good ones from Sunday, plus three copies from our not-so-good local paper. I might not have a recycling dumpster here to dig through, but now I know to hit up the firestation to get their coupons!
August 14th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm . . . now you have me thinking. I wonder if I got one of the Seattle papers over here, would it have coupons? Maybe I'll have to head out to a store on Sunday and check that. Our inserts stink, maybe the Seattle papers would be better.

August 14th, 2007, 10:52 PM
It's worth the try for one week. I'm sure they couldn't be any worse. I'm so aggravated that I was trying to save the $.75 by buying the cheaper paper! I'm sure that they Louisville paper would have had the Kellogg's coupons last week, and those alone would have saved me more than $.75 to make up the difference!
Oh well...you live and you learn!
August 15th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just figured the same thing for my local paper vs the Trib. BUT my mom gets the same local paper and she'll still have different ads/different coupons...what's up with that???
August 15th, 2007, 06:28 AM
fennifer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always get the detroit news here, and its got tons of inserts.. well, 2 or 3..
but i never thought about getting the local paper in addition to the detroit one... would it have different inserts?

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

August 15th, 2007, 07:17 AM
dzine21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I visited my parents the last 2 weekends and grabbed their coupons. I got home and bought a local paper--I got the jipped inserts in mine. I'm just glad I bought an extra paper at my parents house! I just signed up for 13 weeks of our paper for 13.00--only Sundays. If all else fails, I guess I run to the store and buy the Chicago paper. I feel just as jipped as you do about those inserts!

</div>
August 15th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The same thing happens here. The Waco paper usually only has 1 coupon insert, while the Dallas or Houston papers have 3. It's cool though, bc at the grocery store they usually have a Waco/Dallas sunday paper combo for $2!! So then I get more coupons!

I would totally hit the firestation up though for their coupons they don't take. Why let them go in the trash!!

August 15th, 2007, 07:47 AM
paganempath
The biggest paper we get here is the Tampa Tribune. It always has all the ones that I expect it to have so I can't complain.
August 15th, 2007, 07:52 AM
CBMS
both of our sunday papers have good inserts, and they dropped their sunday price to only .50!

I am glad you are gettin' in on the good stuff, now! yay!
August 15th, 2007, 08:11 AM
donomama
That's so funny! Must be a Kentucky thing? My sis lives in Elizabethtown and I've been trying to teach her about coupons and the same thing just happened. I was telling her about all these coupons and she keeps telling me that she doesn't get them. I was telling her to get the Louisville paper all along, but she didn't listen. Now, I'm going to tell her your story! Our "local" paper is the Washington Post, so I've never had that problem!
August 15th, 2007, 09:00 AM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At least you found out!

I used to not buy the Sunday paper, bacause the Houston paper is $1.75 on Sundays...expensive! But I found out that if I go to HEB on Sunday afternoons, they sell it for $1.

August 15th, 2007, 11:31 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I actually cancelled our small local paper subscription effective the 18th. I've been getting ONE SmartSource insert, and it's the crappy one with 2 coupons in it and ads galore. Blah. I also get the Grand Rapids Press, which has everything but the Valassis. Interesting, because Ben's mom gets the same small local I get (but in town v. not) and hers has Valassis. Grrrr. I may switch to the Detroit Free Press, because I know they have more inserts. I just don't know if I can get it delivered here. Hmmm.
August 15th, 2007, 12:06 PM
fennifer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I actually cancelled our small local paper subscription effective the 18th. I've been getting ONE SmartSource insert, and it's the crappy one with 2 coupons in it and ads galore. Blah. I also get the Grand Rapids Press, which has everything but the Valassis. Interesting, because Ben's mom gets the same small local I get (but in town v. not) and hers has Valassis. Grrrr. I may switch to the Detroit Free Press, because I know they have more inserts. I just don't know if I can get it delivered here. Hmmm.[/b]

Hey mandi,
i have a cousin in flint, who at the time, got the detroit free press there.. That was a little while ago though, but still, its worth a try.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

August 15th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Quote:
That's so funny! Must be a Kentucky thing? My sis lives in Elizabethtown and I've been trying to teach her about coupons and the same thing just happened. I was telling her about all these coupons and she keeps telling me that she doesn't get them. I was telling her to get the Louisville paper all along, but she didn't listen. Now, I'm going to tell her your story! Our "local" paper is the Washington Post, so I've never had that problem![/b]
What a small world. That's where I live! Wonder if I know her...

ETA: Yes, tell her the News Enterprise has sucky coupons, so she needs to get the Courier Journal!
August 15th, 2007, 06:28 PM
CBMS
Quote:
I may switch to the Detroit Free Press, because I know they have more inserts. I just don't know if I can get it delivered here. Hmmm.[/b]

hmmmm... wonder how you found that out.

August 15th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The Sunday Chicago Trib is 1.79 but they sell a 2 pack for 2.28...I may have to start going to get that too...my local paper just isn't as good but I already paid for the year.
August 15th, 2007, 09:04 PM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
That's so funny! Must be a Kentucky thing? My sis lives in Elizabethtown and I've been trying to teach her about coupons and the same thing just happened. I was telling her about all these coupons and she keeps telling me that she doesn't get them. I was telling her to get the Louisville paper all along, but she didn't listen. Now, I'm going to tell her your story! Our "local" paper is the Washington Post, so I've never had that problem![/b]
What a small world. That's where I live! Wonder if I know her...

ETA: Yes, tell her the News Enterprise has sucky coupons, so she needs to get the Courier Journal!
[/b]

That IS a small world! Elizabethtown is such a cute little place. Next time I'm there, I'm totally taking my binoculars and being on the lookout for you! LOL

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to let her know!
August 15th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Well Tiffany, next time you are here we'll have to hit up Walgreens together!
August 15th, 2007, 09:45 PM
donomama
FOR SURE!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search