Hafta go to the social security office today...

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2007, 06:08 AM
fennifer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Hi guys!

I'm off today (yay!) But i have to go to the social security office and change my name on my card.. I got married almost a year ago, and still didnt do that.. oops.. Oh well! As long as i do it before tax time. I'm nervous though, even typing about it is giving me butterflies! I have no idea what i'm doing there! DH explained it to me, and said it should be a piece of cake, but i'm still nervous.. i'm procrastinating and not going till later, but wish me luck!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

August 15th, 2007, 10:24 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
For the record, you can totally still file your taxes together without changing your name. Didn't know if you knew that ...
August 15th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Quote:
For the record, you can totally still file your taxes together without changing your name. Didn't know if you knew that ...[/b]
Nope, DH probably didnt know that either.. I'll hafta tell him that, see what he says...
It wasnt bad at all at the SS office, i'm such a wimp!

August 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I dreaded doing the name change, it took me like 6 months to do it. And it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be They were actually nice, I was amazed.
August 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally procastinated the name change. The first time that I was married, I never changed my name with Social Security. And it took me a year and a half this time. And the only reason that I did that was because I needed a Social Security card for something. I probably would not have done it otherwise.

August 15th, 2007, 01:00 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I keep thinking about changing my name ... not getting rid of mine, but hyphenating and adding Ben's. I can't decide.
August 15th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Quote:
I keep thinking about changing my name ... not getting rid of mine, but hyphenating and adding Ben's. I can't decide.[/b]
You still have your maiden name? This might sound dumb, but i didnt know you were 'allowed' to keep it! I like hyphenated names, to me they sound powerful! When did you & ben get married mandi?

August 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM
paganempath
You can have any name you want. I never changed my name the two times I've been married. I like my name. I was born with my name. I intend to die with my name. DH and I filed taxes together last year and we obviously don't have the same last name. Your marriage is a matter of public record-- the IRS knows you're married even without the same last name.
August 15th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I actually found that the social security office was one of the easiest places to change my name. The college I was going to at the time, now that was another story.

August 15th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Quote:
I actually found that the social security office was one of the easiest places to change my name. The college I was going to at the time, now that was another story.[/b]

Yep, i agree!
Much much easier then anything else i had to deal with! The bank, the credit cards, even at work! SS office was a piece of cake!

August 15th, 2007, 03:20 PM
CBMS
Quote:
For the record, you can totally still file your taxes together without changing your name. Didn't know if you knew that ...[/b]

Yep, yep. I didn't have mine changed yet the first year we filed. I waited and waited... and then I had to wait and wait at the SS office to get it done. It took literally three hours of just sitting and waiting... with all three kids!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search