Do any of you track your savings?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2007, 02:06 PM
WisconsinGirl's Avatar Veteran
Just curious. Seems like some of you could have extremely impressive results. I have a spreadsheet and my husband's making me a program that lets me follow my savings and pull out stats for specific stores. We're total nerds, I know!

Does anyone else do this?

© Southpark Holly, 2007
August 15th, 2007, 02:22 PM
paganempath
Those of us who do the monthly grocery challenge keep track of our savings in that thread. But I'm too lazy to make my tracking any more specific than that.
August 15th, 2007, 02:53 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've saved nearly $1100 JUST this month!!! I keep track of mine in the grocery challenge & then put my totals into a word doc to track my yearly spending/saving. It's neat to watch myself progress. In January, Feb, & Mar, I saved less than $200 a month. I've gradually worked up my savings over the last several months.

August 15th, 2007, 03:17 PM
CBMS
Quote:
Just curious. Seems like some of you could have extremely impressive results. I have a spreadsheet and my husband's making me a program that lets me follow my savings and pull out stats for specific stores. We're total nerds, I know!

Does anyone else do this?[/b]
I track it in the grocery thread. I use that as my brag. That's about it.

Quote:
I've saved nearly $1100 JUST this month!!! I keep track of mine in the grocery challenge & then put my totals into a word doc to track my yearly spending/saving. It's neat to watch myself progress. In January, Feb, & Mar, I saved less than $200 a month. I've gradually worked up my savings over the last several months.[/b]

Holy CRUD, Jess! I thought my just shy of 400 was good! (of course, I've only spent a just over 100...)
August 15th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I keep track in the challenge. The amount I spend it in with our other bill info, but I don't keep track of the savings there (since some of the savings is on inflated prices!). But I might start doing it...
August 15th, 2007, 07:24 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In the challenge this month is the first time I've ever tracked it...but then again, I just started really trying to save last month!

I can't wait til the end of the month to show DH! I think he'll be impressed and he'll quit complaining about the time I spend looking at ads or clipping coupons or the time I sit on the computer on here or looking at other couponing things.
August 15th, 2007, 09:01 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I have a spreadsheet that tracks the date, location, amount spent, amount saved, and percent of total saved. There are also averages across the board so I know if the deal I'm getting is amazing for me or just another day.

Yea ... so in case anyone wasn't aware ... I'm a super nerd. I also compare month end totals in a variety of formats. I basically treat running our house like running a business ... what can we do to affect the bottom line in a positive way?

August 16th, 2007, 06:01 AM
CBMS
Quote:
I keep track in the challenge. The amount I spend it in with our other bill info, but I don't keep track of the savings there (since some of the savings is on inflated prices!). But I might start doing it...[/b]

It doesn't matter that they're inflated prices. All the prices are inflated. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is... you're still saving. Keep track. I love telling people, "guess how much I saved?!" I don't care that anything was overpriced to start. That makes my savings even better when I get it free!

Quote:
Yea ... so in case anyone wasn't aware ... I'm a super nerd.
[/b]
I was aware of that.

August 16th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i dont keep track, and I agree with Kris about inflated prices, I always have to compare my "actual" savings.

Like for instance. Before I did my walgreens deals, i would buy generic deoderant at walmart. If i cant get the name brand for cheaper than that, I'm not saving. It doesnt matter that I'm spending 3 dollars less on what the reg price of the name brand deoderant is. For us, its not savings. So I have to watch all of that really closely

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
August 16th, 2007, 06:32 AM
CBMS
Quote:
i dont keep track, and I agree with Kris about inflated prices, I always have to compare my "actual" savings.

Like for instance. Before I did my walgreens deals, i would buy generic deoderant at walmart. If i cant get the name brand for cheaper than that, I'm not saving. It doesnt matter that I'm spending 3 dollars less on what the reg price of the name brand deoderant is. For us, its not savings. So I have to watch all of that really closely[/b]

Except lots of us are brand loyal. I ONLY use Scott tissue. I will not buy generic no matter what. So if I can get it for 6.00 instead of the normal 9.99-11.99 normal price, I'm all over it. I also will NOT use generic deodorant. I'll use secret, degree, and speed stick. Their average prices are pretty much the same everywhere, so when I get a deal, it's still a deal. I only buy Huggies [or now Pampers Cruisers] for Maddie--no generics. Their regular price is right around 9.50 at regular stores, or 9.00 at Dollar General, or 11.49 at Walgreen's. If I get them on sale for 7.99 at Walgreen's, I'm still saving more than I could at Dollar General. I am brand loyal and spoiled on lots of things. I still manage to get all that name brand stuff for super duper cheap.
August 16th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
oh i dont disagree that you are saving money that you would normally had spent

We are the exact opposite. We have lived off of generic for so long that we feel "privilaged" to be using name brand of anything.

My Blog
August 16th, 2007, 06:36 AM
CBMS
It's not that I won't use generic anything. I shop at Save a Lot and get lots of generic groceries. I don't mind generic frozen veggies (but I prefer to get the name brand canned on BOGO; I don't like the generic canned). I get generic pasta when I'm too lazy to make it, too. But I thrive on BOGO's with coupons, so for the most part, I end up with very very very few generics and only spend around 100 or so a month. It's pretty awesome, I think, to have that much name brand stuff on such a tight budget. I honestly would have LESS stuff if I bought generic because that stuff is never on BOGO or has coupons.
August 16th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope you dont feel like I was attacking you for the way you shop. I idolize you, I thought I had the smallest budget around until you came along. I am working on getting stocked up on things so that I can start spending less. The difference between the 2 of us is that I dont drive and I work outside the home 50 hours a week. So its hard for me to get anywhere but walgreens and my biweekly walmart trip

I am trying though. I just have to see savings immediately because my budget is so tight

My Blog
August 16th, 2007, 06:45 AM
paganempath
I'm guilty of being brand loyal. But I have found ways to compromise on it. For example, I only use Scott paper towels. I hate any of the other brands and generic?-- forget about it. But instead of buying the ones with pretty designs, I get the plain cheaper ones. That was a hard switch--I miss my pretty paper towels.

Another thing is deodorant. DH is allergic to most but he can use the women's Dove. I like it too so we both use it. But I won't buy it anywhere but Walmart. Any of the other stores just don't give me a better deal. And I know I can get two packs that are even cheaper than the singles. And they sometimes have them in bonus packs. Free razor? Yes, please.

I'm lucky that I can find most of the things I need for dirt cheap because I'm very picky about certain brands.
August 16th, 2007, 06:46 AM
CBMS
Honestly, I don't know how you have such a tight budget while working. When I was working over 40 (plus a minimum of three hours driving a day!) I could not live on less that like 600 a month on groceries because I had to get easy crap for them to have! I was too tired when I got home to mess with making bread--or anything else for that matter--from scratch. I bought way too much convenience food, but I had no choice.

I have no idea how you scrape by on such a budget working outside the home! I only spend as little as I do BECAUSE I'm home. That's why we decided that it was actually more profitable for me to be home. The decreased grocery budget, killing the 1.5 hour x twice a day commute, killing the day care costs, etc... that was what I was working for!

I'm amazed at you!
August 16th, 2007, 06:49 AM
paganempath
Quote:
I hope you dont feel like I was attacking you for the way you shop. I idolize you, I thought I had the smallest budget around until you came along. I am working on getting stocked up on things so that I can start spending less. The difference between the 2 of us is that I dont drive and I work outside the home 50 hours a week. So its hard for me to get anywhere but walgreens and my biweekly walmart trip

I am trying though. I just have to see savings immediately because my budget is so tight[/b]
You don't drive?! Me neither! Do some people treat you like a freak of nature too? I totally understand your not having the ability to get to lots of stores. DH hates our shopping trips, but oh well. He certainly likes the money I save.
August 16th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
my hubby stays home with my boys but he doesnt know how to cook, he's done better lately with easy things, but most times I come home and cook. We chose for him to stay home for the same reason. We would rather live cheap and have one of us home with my boys than for both of us to work

My Blog
August 16th, 2007, 07:11 AM
CBMS
Quote:
Quote:

I am trying though. I just have to see savings immediately because my budget is so tight[/b]
You don't drive?! Me neither! Do some people treat you like a freak of nature too? I totally understand your not having the ability to get to lots of stores. DH hates our shopping trips, but oh well. He certainly likes the money I save.
[/b]

Teri... I don't look at you like a freak because you don't drive.

(there are so many other reasons. totally kidding...)
August 16th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Neither of us drive, my MIL takes me to Walmart every other weekend when I get paid, and walgreens is within walking distance. I'm hoping to get my license back soon cuz it really makes me crazy sometimes.

and yes people treat me like a bum sometimes, but its either that or get arrested for driving under suspension. I take the bus to work every day, and get rides from medicaid to dr appts. We do a lot of hurry up and wait when it comes to going places, cuz we are always waiting on someone else

My Blog
August 16th, 2007, 09:36 AM
dzine21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm amazed at how much I've saved already! I think this week three for me. I was super duper band loyal on most things. Only Crest or only michium deo. Holy cow, I've got seven toothpastes in the cabinet now. A nice variety too. I think I'm getting the Mentident next week too. I know I'm over on my budget for the month, butI was just guessing anyhow. I was going by how much in Groceries I typically was getting, about $150. I was only buying paper towels and tp and stuff, when we needed it. We've been planning our meals for dinners now. Golly, have I saved a ton! I think I've spent only about $60 on accual food this month w/o coupons. (stocking food is next month on my list) I never new how much I would enjoy couponing! Now if I could jest make myself cook more from scratch. I've made homeade bread a year ago. It was so tasty, I don't know why I didn't keep it up.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search