What other things?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2007, 01:12 PM
dzine21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What other thing are you frugal on? Cable? Phone? Entertainment? Utilities? What are other ways you save or cut costs?

</div>
August 16th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm just overall cheap, I know others hate that word, but I AM CHEAP, the only thing I splurge on is my internet and tv

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
August 16th, 2007, 05:39 PM
CBMS
Quote:
I'm just overall cheap, I know others hate that word, but I AM CHEAP, the only thing I splurge on is my internet and tv[/b]

My husband made fun of me when I drove to MI. I'd get gas for the cheapest around, and if I got 150 miles up the road and found it cheap, even if I didn't need gas at the moment, I'd stop and fill up. I am glad I did because most often, I'd get back to driving, and it would have been 10 cents more per gallon for ages and ages... He said I was coupon shopping the fuel...

I'm frugal when it comes to entertainment, too... we mostly don't do entertainment unless it's movie tickets from Walgreen's--which they haven't done in a while. OR the dollar theatre where we can all go for super cheap and I smuggle cheap candy in my diaper bag!
August 16th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We're pretty cheap on our entertainment. We haven't been to a movie in ages...we rent when they come out and we charge things on one of our CC (paying it immediately online) just to get the rewards to get free rentals. We haven't paid for a movie in long time (at least 2.5 years!!!). My husband goes out for lunch once a week, but we don;t go out much other than that.

We just got a deal with our cable, phone, and internet and cancelled our other phone service so we're basically going to get free phone for a year...after that we'll reevaluate...
August 16th, 2007, 07:26 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I'm basically all around cheap as well. We do have expanded basic cable (with Showtime and free Starz) and high speed internet, but those are really the only splurges. We don't go to movies, unless it's 'bargain night' at the drive in because you get to see two movies for $6.50/person and you can smuggle in more than just candy. We've brought picnic dinners on more than one occasion. I *heart* the drive in. We don't buy media (CDs, movies, etc), and we only rent them if they're the 99c movies at the party store. I don't get my hair cut until it's bad for business, and then I always make sure to get a different stylist so I can get her contact info and potentially a sale. Wahoo. I reuse zip lock bags, tin foil, whatever I can. If something breaks or runs low, I find a new purpose for it ... water in the shampoo bottles and soap dispensers, etc.

I hate spending money. That's really the long and short of it. If I can find a way to not pay for it, or not pay as much, I'll probably do it.
August 16th, 2007, 08:02 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't have cable or eat out.
We don't buy new clothes.
I don't buy convenience foods (except for jarred spaghetti sauce).
I buy our gas at Costco.
Cloth diaper & breastfeed my babies.

My big splurge is internet!

August 16th, 2007, 08:35 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I'm frugal on all disposable products. I don't use paper towels, napkins, toilet paper, wipes, or diapers in disposable, all are cloth.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
August 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM
paganempath
I am by far the most splurge-happy one of the group. I admit it--- I love to spend money! But I also go the opposite way and love to save money as well (obviously). People would look at my lifestyle and think that I live so cheaply on purpose. Nope, it's a combination of too little money and being thwarted everytime I try to spend the little money I DO have. Seriously, I will plan to drop a nice wad of cash on something but then the plans end up falling through. For example, we have basic satellite only because it's included in our rent. We can't pay less rent by not having it so we have it. This is not to say that I would do without it. I love my TV. I wish I had more channels. The satellite company won't let me because of my credit. And the cable company would let me except I live in an area zoned for satellite. ***? So unless I wanna shell out oodles of money to buy my own dish, I live with what I have. And it ain't much.

I love love love going out to eat. I try to keep a handle on it but it doesn't always work. I am big into cravings. It takes very little to convince me to satisfy those cravings. I have been dying all day for the shrimp pasta at a place called R.J. Gator's. But I live with my cravings as it's just not in the budget or the diet (DH's) to eat out right now.

The thing that has really helped us save money that I would just love to spend is having the baby. We can't go to the movies anymore, we don't go out to eat as much since it's a big production with the baby, we can't do expensive day trips to theme parks or the mall because of the baby. That baby sure is cramping our lifestyle! But she saves us money so I really can't complain.
August 17th, 2007, 05:39 AM
CBMS
Quote:

I love love love going out to eat. I try to keep a handle on it but it doesn't always work. I am big into cravings. It takes very little to convince me to satisfy those cravings. I have been dying all day for the shrimp pasta at a place called R.J. Gator's. But I live with my cravings as it's just not in the budget or the diet (DH's) to eat out right now.
[/b]

I knew there was a reason I liked you! I LOVE RJ's! Except they changed ours to Alli Gator's, and they messed it all up. Supposedly Alli is RJ's daughter? I don't know if that's true or not, but things here went way downhill... We used to eat there EVERY Friday when I was working. My check and DH's check were on alternating weeks, so we took turns paying. I always get the house sirloin, medium, with the baked potato, and the steamed brocolli. It's to die for. They also have YUMMY quesadillas. I don't spend money on them anymore, though--it's insane.

Quote:

[/b]

I knew there was a reason I liked you! I LOVE RJ's! Except they changed ours to Alli Gator's, and they messed it all up. Supposedly Alli is RJ's daughter? I don't know if that's true or not, but things here went way downhill... We used to eat there EVERY Friday when I was working. My check and DH's check were on alternating weeks, so we took turns paying. I always get the house sirloin, medium, with the baked potato, and the steamed brocolli. It's to die for. They also have YUMMY quesadillas. I don't spend money on them anymore, though--it's insane.
August 17th, 2007, 09:57 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I'm cheap with everything also. I honestly would even do without internet, but DH needs access when he is home because of his job. My big "splurge" is a Netflix account.... but we don't have TV so that makes up for it I guess.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

August 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am frugal on some things and not so much on others. I have to have my DVR and digital cable and high speed internet. But I do complain to get a lower bill. Right now I get HBO for free til Feb 08 and DVR rental free for a year. Oh and I also signed up for the digital phone to lower my bill.

We do not go to the movies or rent movies. I buy most of Peyton's clothes and mine from yard sales, Goodwill or on clearance racks. I also get Peyton's toys the same way.

I do any repairs that I can to save money. Instead of paying $150 for someone to change my spark plugs and spark plug wires, I did it myself. Saved about $70 that way. And DH changed the air filter. And we try to do all home improvement ourselves. Which has not been a problem yet cause our home is basically brand new.

There are probably other ways, just can't think of them.

August 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
dzine21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've been without Cable/Sat. for a few months. We do have netflix though, and we still hardly use that. I though Dh was going to throw a fit, but he's been great about it. We do have internet at home. Sometime I wonder why because I access it all day at work. But it is good that I can do banking at home. We don't do much entertainment either. Not a lot of friends living in this area. Most of our moula is going to debt, but we are working on that. And Dh has a killer appitite for eating out also. I try to restrain him to 1 lunch out/week and 1 dinner out too. I sort of have that, I love to spend but then I get buyers remorse, so the savings part is helping that. Thanks for sharing ladies.

</div>
August 17th, 2007, 12:17 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
oooh, I here you there. Eating out is my HUGEST weakness. We just got paid on the 15th, and we only allot 30$ to eat out every two weeks (until we get debt paid off). It's already gone... I'm going crazy!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search