O/T : Preschool

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Bam&RaynedropsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies I need some advice and some suggestions as to what I should do about sending my son to school... He's 4, gonna be 5 in December and I have yet to enroll him in any school and schools here already start Monday. He's never been to daycare or anything so I don't really know how things work. Quite frankly, most of the preschools and learning centers around here I don't trust, one school I went to enroll him at, ended up losing a little girl because she just walked right out because no one was watching her and they couldn't find her, to my knowledge, I don't think they did find her and another, there are kids bullying, hitting, cursing and spitting on other children and their teachers are sitting there talking to each other and laughing, not paying any mind to them at all. These aren't the kind of schools I want to send my son off too. DF told me to just wait until mid-year since preschool is only half a year anyway and enroll him them because we *might* end up moving back to NJ by then so he would start up there but he needs to be in some type of school to learn how to be around other kids and start learning now that way when he starts Kindergarden (sp?) he won't be lost like I was (I never went to preschool) but I'm at a loss because I don't like the schooling around here at all... What should I do? Should I send him to a not so great school? I'm open to any suggestions, if any...

New *PICTURE* Siggy coming soon! =)
August 16th, 2007, 06:45 PM
CBMS
Do you stay home? My mom babysat for my kids when they were smaller, and my oldest's birthday falls 26 days too late to have started the year she was 5. So my mom started doing "school" with the kids on a daily basis for a few hours in the morning. She had picked up a bunch of school-type books that had pre school material, had found used kindergarten books, etc, and she did work each day. They were one-on-one with my mom (ok... so one-on-two) and they were SO ready for school the next year (my oldest went to kindergarten and my younger to Pre K). They were both nicely advanced.

If you are home, you could do the same type of thing. Just set aside a couple hours each day to work with him so that he's in tune with what's going on in school next year. Lots of kids don't go to preschool. It's really not that big of a deal. Aside from that, boys are sometimes delayed socially (as are girls, but I think it's more frequent in boys) and the early school could be more problematic than helpful.

good luck.

August 16th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Bam&RaynedropsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks soo much and yes I'm a SAHM. I wanted preschool for him more for the social interaction than anything because he doesn't have any little friends and all the kids in my family are girls and he already thinks girls are yucky and we have no other boys in the family (he's outnumbered by 6 girls)

New *PICTURE* Siggy coming soon! =)
August 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's very hard. My son will also be 5 in December, and we've just enrolled him in preschool this summer. He's never been in daycare, and had only minimal interaction with other kids, so we are a little nervous that this will be a real struggle for him. Fortunately the teacher we've found is very understanding and willing to meet him where he's at. He doesn't care for anything that doesn't have to do with dams and trains, and she seems to accomodate that well, meanwhile helping him see the fun in things outside of his designated preferences.

I do think, though, that if a teacher isn't willing to work with your child from where he is, and just wants to pigeonhole him in a system it would do more damage than it would help in the long run. I would suggest being certain that it is the right school. I wouldn't settle for anything less, there are children who never have preschool and they adjust to kindergarten just fine.

August 17th, 2007, 10:59 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Honestly, I would NOT send my child to a sub-standard school if keeping him home were an option. If you don't trust the schools, then I think you should listen to your mommy instincts.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

August 17th, 2007, 11:42 AM
donomama
Quote:
Honestly, I would NOT send my child to a sub-standard school if keeping him home were an option. If you don't trust the schools, then I think you should listen to your mommy instincts.[/b]

Ditto to that. The biggest mportance of preschool is socialization anyway, IMO. You can achieve that through playdates, maybe a sports team or something like that. I would never put my child in a preschool where I was unsure of their safety.

A couple years ago, with my DD, we did a home preschool with some of her friends. The mothers each took turns teaching for a month. It was so much fun, and she loved it. Would something like that be an option for you? It was not very academically rigorous, but you could make it more so if you wanted to. We used the curriculum from www.mothergoosetime.com. It was a really fun program. I have had friends who have used the Joy School curriculum and loved it.
August 18th, 2007, 03:39 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
You could home school.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
August 18th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Honestly, I would NOT send my child to a sub-standard school if keeping him home were an option. If you don't trust the schools, then I think you should listen to your mommy instincts.[/b]

Ditto to that. The biggest mportance of preschool is socialization anyway, IMO. You can achieve that through playdates, maybe a sports team or something like that. I would never put my child in a preschool where I was unsure of their safety.

A couple years ago, with my DD, we did a home preschool with some of her friends. The mothers each took turns teaching for a month. It was so much fun, and she loved it. Would something like that be an option for you? It was not very academically rigorous, but you could make it more so if you wanted to. We used the curriculum from www.mothergoosetime.com. It was a really fun program. I have had friends who have used the Joy School curriculum and loved it.
[/b]
I don't intend to send our son (or any other kids) to preschool. I'm home with him and as of now I watch 2 other girls, so he gets some socialization. I'm going to work on academic type things with him myself. I just can;t see paying money for something that I can accomplish myself or with the help of others (their kids).
August 18th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Bluebunnygirl1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The main reasons to send a child to preschool are socialization and to get used to separating from mom. If there aren't any separation issues, you might get the same socialization by trying some mommy and me classes and storytime at the library (free!) I agree you shouldn't send your child to a preschool that your gut is telling you its not a good/safe place.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search