My kick butt Albies trip

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Veteran
I might blow my budget, but I had no clue I'd have other help this month

I am so happy, I would've had major problems if my favorite manager hadn't been there. I got my foodstamps in the mail today, and I was so excited to get iin on the free nabisco/caprisun deal. When they totaled out my transaction the EBT machine froze while trying to calculate the tax I had to pay on the coupons. The manager try moving it to another registar, but while it was coming up the second machine cashed out the first transaction. I almost walked out of the store with three carts of free groceries, but I noticed the error and decided to be honest and pay for them. The transaction was going to cost me 75ish 22 of it being tax in my coupons. When it cashed out the transaction the other registar showe as owing me 53.00 at this point I had been in line for amost an hour so he said screw it Albies will have to eat the tax on your coupons, I can't fix this w/o reringing so he only charged me the 59.30. for the foodstamps. I am so glad I ran the nonfoods up with the dogfood I did first to see how much I was really saving.

My nonfood total was 20.59 saved 55.49
I got

3- 22.2 lbs. bags of Purina Dog Chow
1- 22oz can of Alpo Prime
4 - Covergirl Nail Polish
1- Revolon french manicure kit
2 - 16 ct Triminic thin strips cough & cold
1 - 18 ct. Halls Sore throat drops
1.54 in deli chicken from the little sis who works in the deli

Because of the coupon problems it is hard to know exactly on the main reciept. The order void voided the order at 261.32 which makes is 59.30 saved 202.02

I got

4 - 24 ct .5 lt. cases of Dasani Water
40 - 10 ct boxes of Koolaid Jammers (most the sugar free ones)
10 - Nabisco 100 calorie packs ( I got cheese its, ritz mix, and teddy grams)
11 - Nabisco 12 ct multipack singles ( Oreos, chips ahoy, teddy grams)
5 - 64 oz bottles of caprisun
2 - boxes of mac 'n cheese
4 - 4pks Crystal Light Immunity drink
10 - cans of Chef Boyardee
1- qt of Nesquick we drank in the store

Whoot!

<div align="center"></div>
August 17th, 2007, 10:17 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! You rocked! And you got lucky with a nice manager and not having to pay tax! Way to go!
August 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Great job!!!
August 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM
donomama
Wow, that's great. I miss shopping at Albertson's. We shopped there all the time when we were in school and it was a lifesaver. We don't have one where we live now.
August 19th, 2007, 07:21 AM
CBMS

Way to go!

I don't shop Albertson's much... only if there is a super compelling sale on [whole] chicken or london broil...

What was there supposed to be tax on? did you pay with all food stamps and TANF? If so, there's no tax on that stuff... if the coupons were for groceries, there definitely isn't tax. Government money isn't taxed. Just curious.
August 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Veteran
My ever retarded state charges sales tax on the coupons. It's like they don't want people to be frugal with government money. They do it on all coupons. I can't use coupons with wic because wic won't cover the tax on the coupons and it is against the UT wic policy so cashiers are trained to reject coupons with wic. Hey I am trying to save the taxpayers money here!

For example, anyone who has a coupon for one free bag of huggies. If the huggies were 10.99 on sale, it would not walk out the door until they paid the .77 in sales tax. Or a free bottle of pop, it rings the total and charges tax, and then the coupon amount is subtracted.

So when I went to albies to get 2 24 pks of water for 2.99 I have a 4.00 RR coupon I used, the total was 1.98 on my food stamps and then I had to pay .41 out of pocket for the tax on the pre coupon total. Retarded right?

So the breakdown of my huge trip was 59.30 was due for my food pre-running foodstamps. When they hit the button for foodstamps it took the tax off tp 53.15, but then started to re add tax on all my coupons to a total of 75.33 (22.18 in tax for my ridiculous coupon usuage) This is the first time we have had food stamps in four years and I had forgotten that about coupons or I would've just run my debit card. (Btw it turns out they approved us in Feb for a month but never sent out a card, so when I finally got my card it had a double balance on it whoot!)

The great thing was the EBT machine on the registar I was at crashed trying to figure out why I had 22 dollars in tax. So the manager decided to move it to another registar. It took the other machine 15 minutes to boot up and while it was it cashed out the other tape at 59.30. When my reciept printed they thought it went through so I almost walked out then with my three carts of free groceries, but I always check my receipt before leaving and I noticed it was a void reciept. When the other machine finished booting my order it said that Albies owed me the 59.30 in cash. Since I had been in line for well over an hour the manager just wanted to get me out of the store and just voided the order and rang up the 53.90 under grocery and charged my food stamps. I didn't pay the coupon sales tax of 22.18 and I had forgotten I had a few boxes of medicine that were mostly free that I should've had to pay out of pocket for the difference, but I wasn't in the mood to fix it and the manager was already frustrated that UT charges tax on coupons. He is a sweetheart, he knows how much we struggle and would reduce meat and stuff for us before we got the foodstamps so that is why he let the store eat it. He also took all my target coupons and forced all the nabisco coupons to ring (20 worth even though they were already free and it was overage. He also let me combined my raincheck for items on the promo this week and get them for half the slae price plus the free item.)

August 19th, 2007, 03:56 PM
CBMS
I'm telling you: if they charge you tax when you use foodstamps or WIC (regardless of whether you use coupons or not) you need to turn them in. It's AGAINST THE FEDERAL REGULATIONS. Food stamps are not state "owned"--it's a federal program, and it's federally mandated.

http://www.tax.utah.gov/forms/pubs/pub-25.pdf (page 12 of the document)

and excerpts from the federal guidelines:

http://www.nutritionnc.com/wic/pdf/2006/Te...t(DHHS2768).pdf

Quote:
16. Enter in the “PAY EXACTLY” box only the total amount of the current shelf prices, or less than the
current shelf prices, for the supplemental food actually provided; Not charge or collect sales taxes
for the supplemental food provided; Not charge or collect tax on coupons used in conjunction with
WIC food instruments
;[/b]
Quote:
38. Offer WIC customers the same courtesies as offered to other customers including the acceptance
of store and manufacturer’s coupons; The vendor shall comply with the nondiscrimination
provisions of 7 CFR parts 15, 15a, and 15b;[/b]
For them to not allow coupons or to try charging tax is AGAINS THE LAW. Turn in any store that does that. Taking coupons helps lower the cost to the government, thereby allowing them to help more people!!
August 19th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Veteran
That makes me mad! The wic coupon stuff came from my Wic cashier training in Jan. I figured out what happened, it appears I got screwed. I can't decide it is worth it to have them fix it....

Okay, the computer couldn't figure out with my coupon overages he had to force 22+ in coupons through. The overage was paying the sales tax on the food, so when it charged me 74ish on fs I should have had a 53.oo balance due from the store for my coupons. I know if I go back and try to redo they will probably refuse the coupons or not let my combine my raincheck with the free item promo. I guess I will just have to eat it now, but from now on I am refusing to pay tax on coupons. I think for the most part they sneak it in since most people do not separate foods and nonfoods and let the computer figure it out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search