UGH!

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2007, 11:50 AM
CBMS
I am trying to get my pantry sorted out... but THERE JUST ISN'T ENOUGH ROOM! I need more stinkin' space!!!!! I hate this with a passion... I just can't make enough space for all that we have!! I know that should be a good thing, but it isn't! I'm lucky we have plenty of food, but I need more space for our blessings...

LOOK! The pantry is full...

bottom shelf, all my cereals/breakfast stuff:

middle shelf, canned goods/side items, etc:

(middle shelf, showing the depth, and what's buried):

top shelf:

what's buried on the top:

But I still have all of THIS to find a home for!
August 20th, 2007, 11:58 AM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Holy Cow, girl! I have no idea where you are going to put all of that. Tell DH that you need to go house hunting next weekend. And top on your list is an extra bedroom that can be converted to your pantry.

August 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM
paganempath
Come and pick me up. I'll be happy to eat through your stockpile so you have more room. I have my eye on those strawberry pop-tarts. They're my favorite.
August 20th, 2007, 01:15 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
HOLY MOLY! Can you maybe buy a shelving unit to put in the back of one of your bedroom closets to store stuff?

August 20th, 2007, 01:16 PM
dzine21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yup, looks like I could help eat something too.

</div>
August 20th, 2007, 03:00 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I suggest covering the counters, or better, the living room sofa with your goods until your DH is convinced to clean his crap out of the closets so you can rearrange the garage. Threaten shin kicking.
August 20th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
August 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
I suggest covering the counters, or better, the living room sofa with your goods until your DH is convinced to clean his crap out of the closets so you can rearrange the garage. Threaten shin kicking. [/b]

That's a good idea however I think it'd be even better if you piled it on his side of the bed. You get the added bonus of being able to roll over and grab a snack in the middle of the night if you want it.

August 20th, 2007, 05:16 PM
CBMS
Quote:
Quote:
I suggest covering the counters, or better, the living room sofa with your goods until your DH is convinced to clean his crap out of the closets so you can rearrange the garage. Threaten shin kicking. [/b]

That's a good idea however I think it'd be even better if you piled it on his side of the bed. You get the added bonus of being able to roll over and grab a snack in the middle of the night if you want it.
[/b]

However... he doesn't sleep in the bed. It's mine, all mine...
August 20th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck finding a home for all those goodies!
August 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Veteran
Infinte Space Queen to the rescue!

I'm not sure you really wanted help, but here are my suggestions.

First top shelf, pull those jars of peaches? out and line up your tea there. (You drink it regularly and putting it up there will remind you to check up there and not forget about things.)

I am super anal about having all like things together, so I would put all crackers in front of the juciy juice on the top shelf.

The canned shelf looses a lot of room. I would move the mustard and dressing and other condiments to the back of the shelf and bring the cans of beans forward so they will be used. I would also stack boxes on top of the condiments in the back. Putting those boxes of pasta on top of the cans should free up enough room for those cans of coffee.
That green basket of goodies looks perfect for stacking on top of the cans with all the bagged goodies so you can easily pull it out.

In my house the pop tarts would have to be hidden elsewhere along with the granola bars.

The cereal shelf looks the worse, first pull out all the opened boxes and place them somewhere else. Then pull out the boxes and sort them based on size, think Tetris as you stack them back in so there isn't any wasted space and you can still figure out what is in the box. Also check the dates while you are doing this and rotate the older stuff to the front/top of the pile. Put the opened ones back.

I think you will be suprised with how much room you really have.

<div align="center"></div>
August 20th, 2007, 10:57 PM
jonnysmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jonnysmomma Send a message via Yahoo to jonnysmomma
I live in a two bedroom condo and I have to be creative where I stockpile!!!!! Under my bed in totes, closets, my son's closet(pullups and wipes mainly) my linen closet is my snacks/pop/juice/ partial HBA stockpile area.....any free space is bound to get stuff crammed in it. We just bought some 4 tier shelving and we are turning half our master bedroom closet(a 6x6 foot room!!!) into more stockpile area. I LOVE COUPONS LOL

Proud Mommy of Jonny, 8/7/04! We are loving Kindergarten!

August 21st, 2007, 06:57 AM
CBMS
Quote:
First top shelf, pull those jars of peaches? out and line up your tea there. (You drink it regularly and putting it up there will remind you to check up there and not forget about things.)

I am super anal about having all like things together, so I would put all crackers in front of the juciy juice on the top shelf.[/b]
There isn't room in front of the juicy juice for all the crackers. I sort of wish there were, but alas--I'm out of room!

Quote:
The canned shelf looses a lot of room. I would move the mustard and dressing and other condiments to the back of the shelf and bring the cans of beans forward so they will be used. I would also stack boxes on top of the condiments in the back. Putting those boxes of pasta on top of the cans should free up enough room for those cans of coffee.
That green basket of goodies looks perfect for stacking on top of the cans with all the bagged goodies so you can easily pull it out.

In my house the pop tarts would have to be hidden elsewhere along with the granola bars.[/b]
In my house, we rarely use the canned items. I don't want them in front because of that. I almost always have chicken and we have lots of salads, so those things need to be in front instead of buried in the back where the canned good currently are. I mostly do things from scratch, but I like to keep canned stuff during hurricane season.

And my kids know better than to help themselves to anything--especially sugary snacks like pop tarts! They know I'd lay into them in a major way. And the basket is their snack basket, and it actually did end up on the canned goods. That makes it so I have to get their after school snacks, though...but oh well, I guess.

Quote:
The cereal shelf looks the worse, first pull out all the opened boxes and place them somewhere else. Then pull out the boxes and sort them based on size, think Tetris as you stack them back in so there isn't any wasted space and you can still figure out what is in the box. Also check the dates while you are doing this and rotate the older stuff to the front/top of the pile. Put the opened ones back.

I think you will be suprised with how much room you really have.[/b]
All the unopened boxes are in the back. The opened are in the front, along with opened boxes of pop tarts. I always rotate stock (I've worked in restaurants and bakeries my whole working life). There isn't 'somewhere else' to put the unopened boxes though... that's what started this thread. I was getting things up off the floor of the pantry because I don't like the idea of it all sitting down there... but alas, I ended up putting some stuff back down there...

oh well... I think this has talked my husband into buying me one of those 'portable' pantries.

Thanks for the advice... just that a lot of it is geared to families that use a lot of things we don't (and only keep for rare usage and for hurricane season), and have more space to put it in!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search