Lurker coming out...

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2007, 08:05 AM
GabrielsMommy's Avatar Regular
hey ladies! I've been lurking here for some time. DH and I are moving next month and will have more bills so I started lurking in the financial&budgeting room which led me here. I think this board is great, I've started clipping coupons and checking out sales. I didn't know how easy it is to save so much money! Well I guess I should introduce myself lol...My name is Angela, DH is Dan. We're from Michigan. We have a little boy who will be 2 in October, and another on the way, due Nov 7th!

I do have a quick question, too. I want to start stockpiling, so I have to talk DH into buying a freezer. What is a good size? and do you prefer the stand up or chest? TIA! and I'm going to try to join in on converstion- I'm really shy

August 21st, 2007, 08:14 AM
paganempath
Welcome to the board, Angela! You can't be too shy since you came out of lurkdom all on your own. It's nice to see yet another Michigan girl on here. We've overrun the board completely.

I don't have any advice on the deep freeze. I have no room for one. But I know there are some ladies who have them so I'm sure they'll help you out with that.

Don't be afraid to jump right into the threads. Ask questions, post tips and comments, even join the coupon train and the grocery challenge.

August 21st, 2007, 08:31 AM
lillermom99's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm new too and have been lurking over the weekend and using many of the tips! I even made bread! The first batch was a doorstop but I have more rising right now and I think this batch will be much better!!

My name is Lily and I am 26. I am married to Brian 28 and we live in Massachusetts (Taxachusetts!) I am a social worker and DH is an attorney working for the state government so money is tight but we have always been committed to saving money where we can!

We are TTC #1 so saving money is even more important!

Thanks for the tips ladies! I plan to start the grocery challenge in September!

August 21st, 2007, 08:35 AM
paganempath
Quote:
I'm new too and have been lurking over the weekend and using many of the tips! I even made bread! The first batch was a doorstop but I have more rising right now and I think this batch will be much better!!

My name is Lily and I am 26. I am married to Brian 28 and we live in Massachusetts (Taxachusetts!) I am a social worker and DH is an attorney working for the state government so money is tight but we have always been committed to saving money where we can!

We are TTC #1 so saving money is even more important!

Thanks for the tips ladies! I plan to start the grocery challenge in September![/b]
I welcome you to the board as well, Lily! I used to live in Taxachusetts. Don't even get me started-- I miss Boston sooo much.

Anywho, we're happy you decided to come out of lurkdom too. Good luck on the grocery challenge in Sept. And extra good luck on your TTC journey.

August 21st, 2007, 08:53 AM
CBMS
Welcome, Angela!!

I love saving money, and it seems you're starting to love it too.

I have a small chest freezer, and if I had my choice, I'd definitely have a standing freezer. They're much easier to organize. We have to literally just pile it all in the chest freezer. Ours is small, but it holds over 100 lbs. at a time, so that's nice. Whatever you get, check the efficiency ratings and go with a super efficient one. It'll save you money in more than one way, then.

Welcome to you too, Lily!
August 21st, 2007, 09:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I disagree, I love my chest freezer. I think you can get more in them, because you can just keep stacking

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
August 21st, 2007, 09:13 AM
CBMS
Quote:
I disagree, I love my chest freezer. I think you can get more in them, because you can just keep stacking[/b]

No doubt. I think they hold more. It is just tough to organize 100 lbs. of meat when it's all piled in! I am saving for a stand up so that I have shelves and can organize and not just pile!
August 21st, 2007, 09:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
organizing is over rated

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
August 21st, 2007, 10:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've hear that food last longer in the chest freezers. They are cheaper as well.

WELCOME to the both of you!

Oh, and Terri, The Michigan girls have not totally overran the board (but they are coming close!). I lived in Grand Rapids for 2 year, but I'm a Kentuckiana girl.

August 21st, 2007, 10:36 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
April, I'm currently less than 30 minutes from the city of Grand Rapids. Google Conklin, you'll see. It's about 7 miles north of Coopersville. Michigan girls rock!

I vote for a chest freezer. They're a million times more efficient on the use of electricity than upright freezers, and generally there are fewer problems with frost burn and build up. We have an 18 cubic foot chest freezer. It is enormous, and I adore it. Next month I'm putting over 100lbs of piggie in it, and once I have the cash saved out of the grocery extras, we're going for a side of beef (another 300-400 lbs). All of which I am confident will fit in my pretty chest freezer.

I would evaluate your current family size, as well as your potential future family size if you're still ttc (or going to be). How much food do you want to have on hand at once? Will you be making large purchases at one time? Etc? It's a large investment, but a fantastic one.
August 21st, 2007, 10:36 AM
cinfy's Avatar Cool Chick
We went back and forth over whether to buy a chest or stand up freezer. You have to look at space - do you have the room for a chest freezer, or to open the door all the way with the stand up freezer?

Finally, it came down to both of our parents had chest freezers and we both HATED trying to get something from the bottom of it. Haha. So, we ended up with a stand up freezer. Plus, Lowes was having a sale, and we could get the upright for just about what the chest freezer cost.

I buy meat whenever it is on sale, and shove it in the freezer. Chicken has been on sale a lot around here, so half my freezer is chicken and lean cuisine meals for DH lunch.

They say to get the most economical benefit from your freezer, it's basically got to be full. So, in the beginning, we would put milk jugs filled with water in there to take up space.

Thanks Typical Heroine!!

August 21st, 2007, 10:41 AM
dzine21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome ladies!!! How exciting, new gals!!

We're ttcing #1 also!!

I would look at efficientcy rating of the freezers. We've been sort of looking at some since last Christmas. Stand ups are good if you don't have tons of floor space and you can organize better in them. Chests are good if you have lots of items that are different sizes. Also good for folding laundry on top of too. Chests are less expensive and lower ratings.

Hope you gals like us and stick around!

</div>
August 21st, 2007, 04:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I also hated having to dig things out from the bottom of my mom's chest freezer so we totally wanted an upright. You'd end up taking out half the contents, get what you want, thenh pile it all back in...all the whiel letting out precious cold air!!! Plus it is in our garage so we wanted extra floor space. We absolutely love it! I don't know the cubic size, but it is about 5 feet tall and about 2.5 feet across and 2.5 feet deep (out side rough estimates). We got it from my mom as our wedding present so I don't know the exact cost, but I think it was around $300...so worth the investment, both in saving $ by stocking up and saving time by not having to get freezer stuff all the time! It's frost free so we never get build up which is great! I have it organized and that helps too. On the top shelf is bread, bagels, waffles, etc. 2nd shelf is chicken (wings, breasts, patties, etc), hamburgers, and french fries and onion rings. The bottom shelf has pizzas and frozen lunches for husband. Then in the door I put the veggies, bacon, ground beef in packages so I take out one per meal. It works great bc I can even send out my husband to put things in it...in the house...that's another story!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search