I have an idea about the coupon train!

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2007, 09:29 AM
paganempath
The train started out with just 9 people which I thought was pretty long at the time. And now it's up to 29! I love that so many people want to be on the train but the one long train concept has outgrown its usefulness. I propose breaking it up into smaller, more manageable trains. We can do this a couple different ways:

1. One way is to make it regional. We would work out the trains so that it never has to travel too far to all of its individual participants. The only downside to this idea is that Sunday coupon inserts are usually regional so there would likely be duplicates. However, we would still have private coupon deals between all members of the board so each person would be able to get coupons from other regions.

2. Another way is to to group together people who have opposite coupon needs. Such as ladies with children on the same train with ladies without children-- they would less likely to need the same types of coupons so they could easily help each other out with what they need. Or another example would be organic/vegetarian lifestyle ladies grouped with nonorganic/meat eater ladies.

3. Yet another way is to make it all random. I would just group everyone at random and we could change the groups every few months or so. The downside to this would be anyone who doesn't feel comfortable with giving out their address to several people. However, if we had several ladies who feel this way, we could always group them together into a permanent train where only one person would have their address.

Which choice would each of you prefer?
August 21st, 2007, 09:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i like #2 or #3

I already get extras from this area, so getting them from other areas would be great

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
August 21st, 2007, 10:08 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I like #2 best. Even though I have young children I don't use a lot of the baby coupons so I could definitely give those up!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
August 21st, 2007, 11:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I like #2 best. Even though I have young children I don't use a lot of the baby coupons so I could definitely give those up![/b]
I also like #2 the best, followed by #1. I also do not use a lot of the baby coupons. I will be passing along all the diaper and formula coupons.

August 21st, 2007, 11:17 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I like #2. I won't use any of the baby stuff.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

August 21st, 2007, 11:33 AM
dzine21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
#2 & 3. I trust everyone on this board, so I wouldn't mind. And since I get sucky coupons, it would really help from me driving everywhere to find a Chicago paper.

</div>
August 21st, 2007, 11:38 AM
cinfy's Avatar Cool Chick
I like #3 or #2. I love my coupon train because I get coupons for stuff I've never even heard of. Haha. So, I wouldn't really want one from someone nearby.

Whatever works for everyone though. I'm flexible!

I started a coupon train on another board I go to. I love it!

August 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to swtbbyangel
I would definitely prefer #2 because coupons don't help me out much since I eat pretty healthy. I barely buy chips and etc. Usually just veggies, meat, juice once in awhile. Definitely milk.

I kinda skimp on cleaning supplies because of finances.

I don't really buy anything much except food, baby cereal, formula, diapers, and wipes.

Can printable online coupons be included or requested through the coupon train?

Juls 3/06
Kai 06/11
I love my precious sons

Facebook
August 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not on the train, but just out of curiosity, how many coupons do you think you end up taking from the train? It just seems to me that any really good coupons I have I would be keeping for myself?

Another option is to still keep the long train, but maybe revise the order so that where the trains are at now get evenly spaced out: Example Person A has an envelope, Person B and C do not, Person D does, and so on. That way they should still continue to move quickly and you be getting one quite often.
August 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Another option is to still keep the long train, but maybe revise the order so that where the trains are at now get evenly spaced out: Example Person A has an envelope, Person B and C do not, Person D does, and so on. That way they should still continue to move quickly and you be getting one quite often.[/b]
I like this idea. Then we get the coupons a lot more frequently. I don't have to wait 2mos to get it again.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

August 21st, 2007, 06:39 PM
paganempath
Quote:
I'm not on the train, but just out of curiosity, how many coupons do you think you end up taking from the train? It just seems to me that any really good coupons I have I would be keeping for myself?

Another option is to still keep the long train, but maybe revise the order so that where the trains are at now get evenly spaced out: Example Person A has an envelope, Person B and C do not, Person D does, and so on. That way they should still continue to move quickly and you be getting one quite often.[/b]
It depends on what each person considers a really good coupon. For instance, a BOGO for a popular brand of dog food is a great coupon-- just not for those of us with no dogs. And diaper coupons are wonderful unless all your children are over 4 years old. I think there is such a variety of different types of people on the train that there are plenty of good ones to go around.

I've tried since May to put more trains in circulation, starting at various places on the list. They always end up MIA or super slow. It's just not working the way it should. We have at least a dozen out there that I've started but it's not getting the job done.

August 21st, 2007, 06:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Maybe people are holding on to them for too long before they sned them on their way again?
August 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
dzine21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd be willing to print coupons and send those to someone specifically, if they want. I have access to at least 4 computers to print from. Just let me know if something interests you.

</div>
August 21st, 2007, 06:56 PM
paganempath
Quote:
Maybe people are holding on to them for too long before they sned them on their way again?[/b]
Most likely. And there are a few I've had to replace because they've come up missing in transit. The original one is completely gone. It came up missing almost two months ago. And it had only managed to get through 9 people since it started in early April.

Quote:
I'd be willing to print coupons and send those to someone specifically, if they want. I have access to at least 4 computers to print from. Just let me know if something interests you.[/b]

Oh, that'd be great! Thanks for the offer. Maybe we could have a few others with printers who would also be willing to do that and we could have a coupon printing request thread. I would leave the guidelines up to the ones doing the printing.
August 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM
paganempath
*bump*
August 21st, 2007, 09:00 PM
Bluebunnygirl1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think i like option 2 the best. I do use baby coupons. and health and beauty coupons. And packages of stuff like hamburger helper, knorr noodles, au gratin potatoes, gum...and lunchbox type things as well.

I have extras of cleaning supplies, pillsbury, eggs, and other refrigerated foods, some frozen foods, pet food, weight loss foods like south beach

August 21st, 2007, 09:38 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
It seems to me, as you sent you a bunch of trains, if we just keep them all moving and going in a circle... that we should get more, pretty quickly. I can also, slip in an extra train here and there, as well.

If I HAVE to choose one... aside from the one that I just said... the one that is now happening (isn't it)...(or the other one that was suggested... that seems to be about what is happening right now)

Then I would chose 2, if I had to choose one.

I think just keeping more trains in circulation... or giving negative feedback to the person that gets the train derailed is the right way to go.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
August 21st, 2007, 09:50 PM
CBMS
Quote:
It seems to me, as you sent you a bunch of trains, if we just keep them all moving and going in a circle... that we should get more, pretty quickly. I can also, slip in an extra train here and there, as well.

If I HAVE to choose one... aside from the one that I just said... the one that is now happening (isn't it)...(or the other one that was suggested... that seems to be about what is happening right now)

I think just keeping more trains in circulation... or giving negative feedback to the person that gets the train derailed is the right way to go.[/b]

It's not necessarily a person's fault, though, that's the trouble. I sent one to Mandi that barely made it. By the time it got there, it was mangled and ripped opened and some coupons were destroyed. Sometimes it's just the way the cookie crumbles, so to speak. The post office is, afterall, run by humans... who err (read the post about the "found in a supposedly empty bin" thread.
August 21st, 2007, 10:07 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine

True.

If we have enough trains in circulation, and people as a general rule... keep them moving... isn't that good enough? Or not?

Quote:
Quote:

I think just keeping more trains in circulation... or giving negative feedback to the person that gets the train derailed is the right way to go.[/b]

It's not necessarily a person's fault, though, that's the trouble. I sent one to Mandi that barely made it. By the time it got there, it was mangled and ripped opened and some coupons were destroyed. Sometimes it's just the way the cookie crumbles, so to speak. The post office is, afterall, run by humans... who err (read the post about the "found in a supposedly empty bin" thread.
[/b]

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
August 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM
Veteran
One thought, many of those on the coupon train do not regularly post or check this board, why not make a keep in contact clause. I know I don't do the train just because I know right now I can't afford postage. I think train participants should have to notify the sender and reciever via pm that they a got it and b it is on the way, that way people can "track" where they are.

<div align="center"></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search