my NEW favorite bread!!!

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2007, 12:55 PM
CBMS
I made flat bread for the first time. They're yummy.

I found a basic flat bread recipe, and then changed it to suit me, and here's what I ended up with:

1/2 c. of ground oats
2/3 c. of whole wheat flour
1 c. all purpose flour
3 tsp gluten
2 tsp milled flaxseeds
1 c warm water
1 packet yeast
2 TBSP oil
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

First, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Then add the sugar, salt, and oil. Add the ground oats gluten, flax, and flours and mix. Knead either by hand or with a machine until it's nice and smooth and elastic. cover and let rise until double. punch down and knead an additional 5 or so minutes (about half that time if by machine). Heat oven to 550 (and put an upside down cookie sheet or baking block in to heat up) while you're on the second knead. Let it rest while the oven finishes heating. Separate to balls and roll out into either circles or ovals (I did ovals for roll sandwiches). Bake two or three at a time on the upside down sheet or block. It will be LESS THAN A MINUTE for them to bake. They'll get puffy. Remove with tongs and set to cool. I put them in a glass dish with a towel and covered it. It is keeping them super moist. I'll let them cool there, and then I'll put them in an air tight container (whatever we don't eat tonight, anyway).

YUMMY and the oats, gluten, whole wheat, and flax perk up the nutritional value, too.
August 21st, 2007, 02:44 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
mmmm I'm so going to try this!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
August 21st, 2007, 02:51 PM
paganempath
That sounds really tasty. But I just don't have the energy to make my own bread.
August 21st, 2007, 03:02 PM
CBMS
Here's the original recipe, too... for those who might not like the oats, flax, and wheat.

2 cups flour
1 c warm water
1 packet yeast
2 TBSP oil
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

follow the same directions.
August 21st, 2007, 03:06 PM
donomama
Thanks, I'm gonna have to try it!
August 21st, 2007, 06:49 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
Here's the original recipe, too... for those who might not like the oats, flax, and wheat.

2 cups flour
1 c warm water
1 packet yeast
2 TBSP oil
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

follow the same directions. [/b]

ooh I have all those ingrediants! I can make this tonight!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search