Anything you're not frugal with?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2007, 07:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll admit there are a few things that we splurge on. They all happen to come from Schwans. Their angus burgers ($2 apiece), spicy chicken to make sandwiches($2 a piece), cheese breadsticks (I think like 30 cents apiece), and their ICE CREAM!!!!! I try to alternate when we get things so that we only spend about $20-30 a month on these things.
August 21st, 2007, 07:35 PM
paganempath
If we're talking food items, oh yes. I always buy the Oscar Mayer shaved deli meats. They're about $3 per container but I love them. I don't like regular sliced deli meat. I need to have it so thin, I could read through it. I consider Pepsi products to be a splurge. We used to drink the nasty generic but that didn't last long. Only the real stuff for us now. We buy Ben and Jerry's ice cream quite a bit. That stuff ain't cheap! I'm also a sucker for those frozen premade meals in a bag. I know I could make the same thing from scratch for alot less, but they all look so good and they're so easy too.

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now. I'm awful when it comes to food. If I want it, I get it. Bad Teri.
August 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM
CBMS
My husband drinks real coke. I'll drink generic; I don't mind. I do get the good stuff if it's on a great sale, though...

I am pretty frugal about everything... even the stuff that I insist on having (name brand loyalty) I wait until it's BOGO or on a good sale...

but I do have internet, so I guess that's a splurge. It's 45/month!

I used to get Schwann's ALWAYS! That was my shopping. LOL. The guy came to my work, and I'd get all my shopping done. That's when I didn't have lots of time for real shopping, and it was just the girls and me. I got LOTS of their turkey breast fillets. At the time, they were 14.99 a box... and I'd get their other foods, too... but rarely ice cream. Though I do love their ice cream.
August 21st, 2007, 09:45 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Schwan ice cream does rock! I haven't had any since right after our wedding, but still ... delicious.

We have high speed internet as well ... but it only runs me $20/month. We also have expanded basic cable, but I don't exactly pay for it so I don't care. I splurge on flash frozen Meijer chicken because you don't have to de-bone it or de-frost it. I wait until it's BOGO, though. We also almost always have some kind of snack food that we could probably live without, and jarred (brand name) pasta sauce, but I always buy on sale, bogo, and with coupons so it isn't really a splurge if they're paying me for it.
August 22nd, 2007, 06:05 AM
cinfy's Avatar Cool Chick
I need name-brand soda. The other stuff just tastes awful. I do wait until it is on sale, so it is a little cheaper.

I also splurge on bread. To me, there is a difference between the regular store named bread and costco bread. The Costco bread is generic too, but it tastes so good! And I do get the wheat bread, so at least it is a little healthy. Haha.

August 22nd, 2007, 07:22 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I don't mind generic soda, but I love My Dr. Pepper... Chris is more name snob than I am. But the one thing I won't buy generic, is Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.... mmmmm....
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
August 22nd, 2007, 08:23 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dreyers Loaded Butterfinger. Mmmmm....If it's not on sale, I'll buy it anyway!!! It can run up to $7.00 a carton!!!

August 22nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
Whoa! Jess, I did not imagine you'd list $7 ice cream. I bet it's delicious, though.
August 22nd, 2007, 09:44 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Whoa! Jess, I did not imagine you'd list $7 ice cream. I bet it's delicious, though.[/b]
Usually I can find it on sale for around $2.99-$3.99. BUT, if it's not on sale, I'll buy it if I can find it. Once night, I was craving it so badly that I went to 3 different stores looking for it. They were ALL sold out! Apparently, I'm not the only one with this addiction, lol. Yes, it's THAT good!

August 22nd, 2007, 10:44 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Mayo! I will not any brand but Hellman's. I even buy it when it's not on sale sometimes because it doesn't always have a very long shelf life so I can't stock pile too much of it.

Toilet paper. I usually try to keep a decent supply of it. I don't use the el cheapo type of toilet paper. I don't really have much of a brand preference but it has to be the good stuff.

Potato chips is probably the only other one. It seems like the cheap brand always taste a little funny and they are almost always all broken up.

August 22nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to jilry
i have a couple things i'm not frugal about. i have to have pepsi. it's not on sale right now either. i pay around $5.50 a pack. but i do have some coupons left. so they have come in very handy.
i also have to have brand name baby wipes, juice, tampons and baby shampoo. i try to make sure i have coupons for every thing before i buy it but if i don't have a coupon i still buy it any ways.

August 22nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
CBMS
Quote:
I don't mind generic soda, but I love My Dr. Pepper... Chris is more name snob than I am. But the one thing I won't buy generic, is Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.... mmmmm....[/b]

Save a lot has good generic [flavored] sodas. Their version of mt. dew is awesome. Their diet-not so much. Strawberry is really good, too.

As for the mac n cheese--have you tried the Save a lot brand? My husband thinks it IS Kraft. They have the same odd shapes (unlike any other man n cheese I've seen) as Kraft. It's yummy.

**if we're talking about what we buy name brand--then my list would be long.

I am super loyal to:

scott tissue
either scott towels OR viva towels
kotex
huggies OR pampers cruisers
huggies wipes
ragu pasta sauce OR bertolli, now that I've tried it

the list could go on and on... I will ONLY buy name brand of lots of stuff, but I only buy when it's BOGO and I have coupons. I may make an exception for the Ragu this week--it's on sale cheaper than BOGO.
August 22nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
fennifer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

DH drinks pop like crazy.. and although he'll get generic 2 liters, he wont get generic cans of pop.. Also, he eats those light potato chips, they used to be called "wow chips', they're made w/ olestra.. anyway, those things are never on sale, and they're like $3.50 a bag!!
Other things we arent frugal on...hmm... Well, i usually always get milk, eggs, and lettuce from the grocery store, no matter what price they are. Everything else we're pretty frugal about!

Oh, wait, one more thing, bottled water! A must have for me at work, but, i do refill the bottle w/ tap water the whole day, so i guess i'm a little frugal w/ it!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

August 22nd, 2007, 09:33 PM
Buy a $7 Nalgene water bottle, available at places like Gander Mountain or REI. They are the best friend of water drinkers everywhere, and they're indestructible. If you break one, they'll give you a new one ... for life. I ran one over with my car once. Then, you don't have to buy bottled water anymore! Less money, less waste! Hooray!
August 23rd, 2007, 06:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Buy a $7 Nalgene water bottle, available at places like Gander Mountain or REI. They are the best friend of water drinkers everywhere, and they're indestructible. If you break one, they'll give you a new one ... for life. I ran one over with my car once. Then, you don't have to buy bottled water anymore! Less money, less waste! Hooray! [/b]
Whenever I drink water from a bottle like that it tastes like plastic!!!
August 23rd, 2007, 10:13 AM
Honest to goodness try the Nalgene. I've never had a problem. To me, regular bottled water tastes awful ... it's either plastic of tinny.
August 23rd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
we are not frugal on our internet or cable. but since we dont do other entertainment things it balances out

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search