Question about using Foodstamps

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2007, 06:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know if anyone else here is or has been on assistance. We finally got our EBT card yesterday. We were on assistance for a few years before I went to work, but I've never used them in conjunction with coupons.

My question is this. I have some $3 OYNOs to use at Albertson's today, and I want to make sure that they get deducted from the non-food order, the stuff we pay cash for. Should I go through I run through in two different transactions to make sure it gets applied to the right order? I have never used a coupon with foodstamps so I have no clue how it works in which total they are deducted from.

August 23rd, 2007, 06:57 AM
CBMS
I would separate them on the counter, for sure. Just put all your food items up first, then put the divider and put the rest of it. Stretch your foodstamps by loading up on coupons and BOGO's too! They have to give you all the same courtesies (including the use of coupons and all the sales) that 'regular' customers get. I use the 'regular' loosely--don't take offense. You can turn a hundred fifty dollars of food stamps into three hundred easy if you shop smart.
August 23rd, 2007, 06:58 AM
paganempath
I would absolutely split up the orders. Don't give anyone an excuse to bother or screw you when it comes to saving money. Just avoid it all together and split them.
August 23rd, 2007, 07:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
to what the other girls said

and never feel ashamed to stick up for yourself when you use them.

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
August 23rd, 2007, 07:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks! It's no big deal to split up transactions at my Albie's. We went in on Tuesday night and ran five different transactions so I could roll my catalinas, the cashiers are just wonderful up there. Plus DH always comes along so if we don't want to make people wait in line behind us he just takes one order and I take the other to a different register.

I totally intend to keep using my coupons. We're getting more than $400 a month right now and I will NOT be spending all of it, I'm budgeting to stay under $200 per month. We're only going to qualify until the store my husband is to manage opens, then we'll be making too much money. But in WA foodstamps only expire after five years so I'm going to "stockpile" my foodstamps and then we'll be able to eat on them for quite some time!

August 23rd, 2007, 07:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
we did the same thing when we knew we were getting close to no longer qualifying. We cut way back so that we knew we wouldnt have to worry about food for a while.

When we got foodstamps while living with my mom, we were feeding my family of 4, and her family of 5, on the 420 in foodstamps I got every month. It was my way of helping out when I had no money to do so

My Blog
August 23rd, 2007, 07:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I kind of kick myself now, because we got assistance for three years, and all the while we were getting way more than we really needed, if I had bothered to be frugal about it. When I think about how long we could have eaten after not qualifying anymore . . . oh well, at least I learned in time to be smart about it this time around!

August 23rd, 2007, 07:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
exactly, just look to the future and learn from your mistakes

My Blog
August 23rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I totally agree that you should use as much as you can in coupons, bogos, and sales to stretch that amount as long as you can. It's there for the using, and there's totally nothing wrong with it. I wish they'd give us food stamps ... we'd income qualify, but no kiddos = no chance around here.
August 23rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
thats ridiculous, you still need to eat.

we honestly ate better on foodstamps than we do now. Hubby sometimes says, "i wish we were poor again, then I could buy those chips that we cant afford now"

My Blog
August 23rd, 2007, 05:34 PM
CBMS
Quote:
I totally agree that you should use as much as you can in coupons, bogos, and sales to stretch that amount as long as you can. It's there for the using, and there's totally nothing wrong with it. I wish they'd give us food stamps ... we'd income qualify, but no kiddos = no chance around here.[/b]

Are you sure? I qualifed when I had no kids. I didn't get them for very long, but I did get them for a few months. I was working full time, making 4.65 an hour plus tips. No one else in the household....

just FYI... may be worth a try.
August 23rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
You can only get 3 months without kiddos here. We make it alright, so I don't worry about it.
August 24th, 2007, 05:25 AM
CBMS
Quote:
You can only get 3 months without kiddos here. We make it alright, so I don't worry about it.[/b]

Really? That must have changed since I used them. I was only 17, living alone in Iowa, so maybe it's changed in the last... HOLY FREAKING CRAP! 14 years!? I'm getting too old....
August 24th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's pretty hard to qualify here without kids. You have to be working 20 hours a week, and with as high as our minimum wage is anyone working that much will be over the income limits for a single person household. When I first got pregnant with DS I applied and they denied me because I wasn't working enough, I was working 17 hours a week and going to school full time. I was working on campus where you could only work up to 19 hours per week. It's a giant conspiracy, I say!

August 24th, 2007, 06:39 AM
CBMS
Quote:
It's pretty hard to qualify here without kids. You have to be working 20 hours a week, and with as high as our minimum wage is anyone working that much will be over the income limits for a single person household. When I first got pregnant with DS I applied and they denied me because I wasn't working enough, I was working 17 hours a week and going to school full time. I was working on campus where you could only work up to 19 hours per week. It's a giant conspiracy, I say! [/b]

Now, when I got them a few months when Katerina was a baby, I qualified. I wasn't working 20 hours a week, but I was going to school. The guideline specifically said, "20 hours a week of either a wage earning job or schooling that will lead to a degree." So I had to be taking degree seeking courses, but it counted toward the 20. And my grants didn't count as income even though I got a refund from them. woot.
August 24th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have to work now to qualify, we get an exemption for having a child under the age of 12. Here you have to work full time or 20 hours a week if in school, unless you have an exemption. The grants I get for school don't count in our income, that's nice. Not that I have any of those at the moment, though. I don't think I'll be going back to school until next fall. It will be easier to wait until DS starts school.

August 24th, 2007, 07:15 AM
CBMS
I didn't do as well in school when the kids were small. They took so much time that should have been spent on homework. I still managed to graduate with a 3.86, but still... it was tougher when they were small than after they'd gotten bigger.
August 24th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been in and out of school ever since DS was born. I can't quite decide what I want to do with my life, so it seems foolish to really pursue it, but I have so many hang-ups about needing a college education. It doesn't help that my in-laws are both college professors and don't think that anyone is worth anything without a graduate degree.

I was thinking about waiting 'til next fall, then DS will be in school. I think I would make us move back onto campus, I've had much more success when we lived in campus housing than commuting out there. I have a cousin who lives out there and she's willing to watch the baby. I like going online a bit more, but it's so expensive and the financial aid isn't as good. When I go to the local university I get grants enough to cover all my tuition, fees, books and rent plus a little extra.

August 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM
CBMS
my in laws are both college-educated, but my DH didn't go to college like his brothers did... my in laws are super proud of me for [finally] finishing. It took me a long time, too. I was the first to graduate in my immediate family. My folks didn't finish high school, and none of my siblings are college grads... so I have lots of proud parents.

You can always go for an additional degree if you change your mind. Just get a degree so you can say you finished it... I won't use mine (a degree in psychology) because I need lots more school to really make anything out of it (though I could probably get a job at a substance abuse center or something...) but it feels good to say that I'm a degree holder.
August 24th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My dad is a dentist so he obviously spent a little time in college. My mom dropped out to help pay his way and I think he always felt guilty about that. He pushed all of us really hard to succeed in college. Only one of the three of us has graduated, although the oldest has some pretty serious mental issues and I don't think he'll do anything with his life until he addresses those.

I originally started thinking I wanted to teach, and got three years into that program before I realized that I don't like kids that much Then I switched to history, which I love studying, but I hate writing papers and couldn't stand the idea of having to write so many in the program. Now I'm leaning towards accounting, which I really like, I just have very little motivation right now. I guess the year off will do me some good.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search