I'm 0 for 6

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found out today that I got rejected for yet another job. This was my sixth interview and my sixth rejection. The principal today told me that he was very impressed by me, and that everyone he spoke to highly recommended me and would put me at the top of their list and that I would be a great fit for his school, but that they went with someone else. Okay...? I'm really starting to get down on myself. I've even thought about just saying screw it and going and getting some other kind of job. DH told me that I am not allowed to do something else though. He told me that he knows this is what I want to do and I've worked too hard for it to let a few principals turn me away from it. He said it's their loss if they can't see what a great teacher they would have had by hiring me. He told me he wants me to go ahead and start on my masters. I told him, "Yeah, well that costs money." He told me that I've taken out loans before, so we can just do that again. It really made me feel better for him to be so supportive and understanding. He really can say the right things sometimes!
August 24th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you're having a bum deal! I assume you've been living on his earnings only for now, so would you be okay with just subbing for right now? I know that's not ideal, but it seems that's what it takes to get into a lot of public schools!

I would advise against getting your master's right now. One, a lot of schools can help you pay for it. But also, getting it may hurt your chances of getting a job if you aren't teaching already. Reason being...schools pay you more for a master's, but you'd still have no experience, so a school is more likely to hire a no experience, non master's holding person.
August 24th, 2007, 08:35 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Sorry you didn't get the job. I know how you feel. I have my teaching degree too and haven't found a regular job yet. I didn't even try this year though because I figured I'd just stay home with the baby and babysit some other kids for some extra cash. I've learned that teaching jobs are tough to get unless you know someone. I have a portfolio full of recommendations, excellent grades, and everything else they could possibly ask for. The last job I wanted the assistant superintendent's daughter got. The one before that was in a very small district. There was only one teacher per grade level. One of the teacher's granddaughters got the job.

August 24th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Yeah, Kris...I've thought of that. I would only take a class per semester right now, so that wouldn't increase my pay any when I get hired...at least hopefully I would get hired before then! And I can't start on it until at least the spring, anyway now.
Subbing is what I'm gonna do for now, although it makes me feel like a reject since I can't get a real teaching job. I always used to love to sub when that's all I could do, but now that I have a degree, I want a real teaching job.

And Susan, I have found that it does have a lot to do with who you know. Apparently I don't know the right people.
August 24th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry Ashley.

August 25th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That stinks! I'm sorry and I hope something works out soon.

I do know how you feel. When I graduated with my Master's in accounting I got turned down by a lot of people. Sure I had a 4.0 and a degree from a good school but so did a lot of other people. I actually ended up getting a job with a company who had initially not even picked me as someone to interview. I ended up getting it because I met one of the HR people at a meeting for something else and he liked me. It's totally about who you know. And I found once you have one it's not hard to get another.
August 25th, 2007, 07:43 AM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry that the interviews have not gone well. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. There is something bigger and better waiting for you.

August 25th, 2007, 09:49 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I had a very similar problem to this a year ago, except I was already teaching and in need of something more. I had a million interviews. The girls here can likely attest to my complaining about not even getting interviews for most of them. It's super crappy, but something eventually comes through.

And, on the Master's ... I would suggest two classes at a time, but only because that should be enough to trigger a deferral on your other loans as you're 'full time' (6-9 credit hours in a Master's program) if you want it to.
August 25th, 2007, 01:27 PM
CBMS
I'm so sorry, Ashley. You should move to FL... I know I've said it before... lol

course, then you wouldn't get to shop all those good deals at Kroger. No Kroger marts here... only as far south as GA.
August 25th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for all the kind words.
And Mandi, I looked at it last night and I am thinking about doing two classes at a time. I need to talk to an advisor at school sometime soon and get everything done in time for the November whatever cut-off. What stinks is that the school has a kind-of mini-campus where I live that offers some courses (I was able to do everything here), and they do A LOT of on line courses, but as far as getting to talk to someone, I have to drive over an hour south of here. And then to take my GRE to get in to grad school, I have to drive about an hour north of here. Plus I need to get letters of recommendation and other stuff to get in to the program I want in to. I guess all of that gives me something to occupy myself with.

Quote:
I'm so sorry, Ashley. You should move to FL... I know I've said it before... lol

course, then you wouldn't get to shop all those good deals at Kroger. No Kroger marts here... only as far south as GA.[/b]
Well, if there's no Kroger, then it's a no-go!
August 26th, 2007, 05:25 AM
CBMS
Quote:
Thanks for all the kind words.
And Mandi, I looked at it last night and I am thinking about doing two classes at a time. I need to talk to an advisor at school sometime soon and get everything done in time for the November whatever cut-off. What stinks is that the school has a kind-of mini-campus where I live that offers some courses (I was able to do everything here), and they do A LOT of on line courses, but as far as getting to talk to someone, I have to drive over an hour south of here. And then to take my GRE to get in to grad school, I have to drive about an hour north of here. Plus I need to get letters of recommendation and other stuff to get in to the program I want in to. I guess all of that gives me something to occupy myself with.

Quote:

course, then you wouldn't get to shop all those good deals at Kroger. No Kroger marts here... only as far south as GA.[/b]
Well, if there's no Kroger, then it's a no-go!
[/b]

I figured. I am tempted to move up there just so I can have a Kroger! I know that was my mom's store of choice when she lived in St. John's Michigan... I'm not sure I've ever actually been inside of one.
August 26th, 2007, 08:53 AM
You totally don't need to drive an hour to see a school counselor unless you need them to sign off on something, and even then I wouldn't. Here's why ... I used to tell students that would come into my office hours going on and on about not being able to get a counseling appointment the same thing. You do not need a counselor (unless they need to sign off on something). All you need is a copy of the catalog (not the schedule, the catalog with everything about everything in it) and the ability to read. Everything you need to know about what requirements or program or whatever are in there. All the counselor does is read it to you, basically. Totally something you can do yourself. If they do need to sign off, call their office, and see if you can fax something over. Tell them all about how far away you live and your kiddos and on and on and see if they'll just do a fax relay with you. Save gas, less hassle, less time wasted. Everyone wins!
August 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
But if you go now you'll have to pay for it yourself. Why don't you sub for a year and try to get into a school that way and then have them pay for it...at least some of it!
August 26th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Around here you can get some of your loans forgiven for teaching for a set amount of time, but they don't pay for any of it for you up front. I'm gonna just sub this semester and then start school and sub next semester I guess.

And Mandi, sometimes they are weird about having to come into the school to do certain things. BTW...is there anything you don't know!? Next time I need something, I'll just write to Dear Mandi! You seem to know everything! I love it!

Anyway...we'll see...I've got til the middle of November to figure it out.
August 26th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That would be cool if you could get loan forgiveness...the only places around here that offer it are areas I would not want to be in!!
August 26th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I know very little about mechanical engineering, biophysics, keeping my mouth shut, and Thai cuisine.
August 26th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Quote:
I know very little about mechanical engineering, biophysics, keeping my mouth shut, and Thai cuisine. [/b]
Oh man! My next question was going to be about Thai cuisine! Oh well...
donomama
I'm sorry! Job hunting stinks!
Quote:
I'm sorry! Job hunting stinks![/b]
Yes, I would have to agree with you on that one.
August 27th, 2007, 05:50 AM
CBMS
Quote:
Around here you can get some of your loans forgiven for teaching for a set amount of time, but they don't pay for any of it for you up front. I'm gonna just sub this semester and then start school and sub next semester I guess.

And Mandi, sometimes they are weird about having to come into the school to do certain things. BTW...is there anything you don't know!? Next time I need something, I'll just write to Dear Mandi! You seem to know everything! I love it!

Anyway...we'll see...I've got til the middle of November to figure it out.[/b]

Hey; that may be a good idea for a new weekly thread.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search