Jerk at Target

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2007, 08:54 PM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
I'm pretty sure I got "ripped off" at Target tonight. I bought a lot of stuff ... and used a LOT of coupons. The guy was somewhat new.... but he was such a jerk.

First, I had 11 of the Free Meow Mix cat treats.... and I bought 11 of them. He scanned the first one in .. it didn't go through but at the moment I hadn't noticed because I had to tell DH something. The 2nd one... I was watching and it beeped. It asked him on the screen, "how much is the coupon". He tried again and again..... and I politely said, "It's asking you to enter the price of the cat treats" and he insisted it wasn't. Then he proceeds to tell me that he "belives there is a limit on these". I say, "Oh, there isn't.. I've done this tons of times"

He reads the coupon and gave me the dreaded line "It says one coupon per purchase" and I sigh and say "Yes.... one package of cat treats is a purchase. Eleven packages of cat treats bought at the same time is a TRANSACTION" He sets them off to the side. Continues ... but is such a dumb*** that I can hardly keep track of what he's doing/trying to do.

He gets to my Carnation Instant Breakfast target coupon. It beeped and said there was no purchase to match coupon. I show him the box and say.... "Yes, there is." He tried it again and it beeped again (DUH!). He then sets it aside and scans in the manu coupon for the SAME item ... and it works (DUH!). He tries the target one again .. it beeps. He adds it to the redeemed pile. I tell him to hold on .... it didn't go through. He LIES to me and assures me that "yes, it did". Now, I'm starting to get peeved. He proceeds to give me my total and I remind him that he didn't enter the cat treat coupons. He says "Oh, those don't work so you can't use them". WHAT?

Now I'm peeved so I instruct him to take the cat treats off the total and I'll just take myself to customer service and they will be GLAD to ring me up and enter the coupons. He gets a bit huffy but does take them off. However, the idiot doesn't have me remove them from my bags (they are at the bottom no less) and watches me dig my coupons back out of his stack (YES!! He was gonna KEEP the coupons ) and when he wasn't watching ... I took back my Carnation target coupon. I proceed to walk toward customer service and realize just how intellectually limited he is when it dawns on me that .... if I were not an honest person .... I could walk out of the store WITH the cat treats AND the coupons! But, I'm honest.

I wait in line at customer service.... explain to the guy there what happens. He asks me how many of each variety I bought .... and he rings it all in for me .... not even so much as a dirty look, sigh, or anything. You know, how it SHOULD be done! He did apologize for the first guy and told me to have a great day when he was done.

I left (forgot to get him to add my carnation coupon) and as we were eating dinner 10 minutes later .... I'm thinking my total sounded off. I get out my receipte and I think the guy made NUMEROUS errors with my coupons AND took the freaking things.

I couldn't sit in the resturant and figure it out ... and my hubby is too impatient for me to do it in the car. I'm too tired now to do it .... but first thing in the morning, I'm going to be adding it all up. I'm 99% sure he also charged me for an extra Keebler cookies. I counted them FOUR times in the store to make sure I had exactly 10 packages. Yet, there are 11 on my reciept.

If I find that it's off more than $2.... I'm calling Target and raising heck. I don't expect they'll be able to fix it because it's not the same day so they would have no idea if my story is true and I'm 40 miles away so I'm not coming back in any time in the next two-four days probably. But, I will be heard!

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
September 20th, 2007, 09:02 PM
gctattoo
Ugh! I am so hot tempered that I would've probably told him to void the whole transaction and then gone to a cashier who looked like they knew what they were doing and wasn't being a jerk about it. Oh, and had a manager standing right there to correct anything that wouldn't go through. Do they really think that a person would go through all the trouble of having numerous coupons if they didn't know the rules regarding them? We know better than any store employee does-- it's OUR job as frugal consumers. They just need to learn how to do theirs.
September 20th, 2007, 09:04 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh! I hate when crap like that happens!!! Knock on wood...I've been lucky lately, but it just really SUCKS when your purchases get all screwed up! Hopefully he didn't screw it up too bad since you really can't get it fixed. And hopefully CS will be nice when you call to complain!
September 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I would have totally done that but I had DH with me .... and although he usually doesn't complain TOO much about coupons.... he gets VERY irritated when it takes that long. He just doesn't have the patience for that kind of thing. He likes the results but doesn't want anything to do with the journey. Normally he doesn't go with me .....but since he didn't work today since my grandma was buried this morning....he went with

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
September 20th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I knew it ... he shorted me $3.30 in coupons and overcharged me $1.66 for a package of Keebler cookies that I didn't buy!

September 20th, 2007, 10:41 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That stinks!!!
September 21st, 2007, 03:17 AM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
Just reading your post made me mad at that guy! I would have gone off!
Our beautiful miracle baby..

Do you want to learn how to stretch your dollars further?
Come join us on the Frugal Mommies Board!
Latest Trip: Spent $90, Saved $400!
Latest donation trip: Spent $0, Saved $675!!!
Check out what I'm selling! Lots of baby/toddler things!

September 21st, 2007, 03:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I refuse to pay until I know the total is right. That's why I always calculate what my total should be before I even go and I put that amount at the top of my list. Then I also add as I go in case I vary from my list. I have also had problems with Target's coupons not going through at first. If in doubt f what actually scanned and went thorugh have them feed the register tape a little and count them for yourself. I have done this before, because when they scroll on the screens (if the store even has a large screen) sometimes it is jumpy when it scrolls and makes it hard to be certain everything worked). Worst case, insist on calling for a manager right then and there! That's what they get paid the big bucks for!
September 21st, 2007, 05:33 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
How frustrating!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 21st, 2007, 05:47 AM
CBMS
I'm so sorry. I hate people like that.

I think I'm with Teri--I would have had him void it and find someone who was going to do things properly and with out the bad attitude. I wasn't sure that my coupons were all taken off once, and the receipt tape had just been changed, so it didn't print correctly, and I went to customer service and had them reprint it. It was on regular paper, and it was very detailed with the coupons, etc. Turns out I was the one mistaken--it had been one of those that said, "item not here" and they had hit the buttom, so it was down at the very bottom, but that's the part of my first receipt that didn't turn out. Anyway--I'd call the 800# customer service AND the store manager and let them know that first guy was a creep. I did that and got some coupons from the 800#. The manager didn't do much except apologize.
September 21st, 2007, 07:31 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I would complain, complain, complain! It is one thing for a cashier to make a mistake. It happens! It's the attitude and refusal to do things correctly that ticks me off!

September 21st, 2007, 07:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Aww that stinks! I've run into a few bad cashiers too.
September 21st, 2007, 07:39 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
What the hell!! thats almost a 5$ difference! I would be pissed!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 21st, 2007, 08:49 AM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would have been so mad. I am sorry that you had such a bad experience. I hope that you can get everything straightened out.

September 21st, 2007, 10:59 AM
*UPDATE*

I called the store this morning and the manager was very nice. She is mailing me three $3 off my order coupons as an apology and told me that she will make sure to do more coaching with their team members about the use of coupons and how welcome they are at her store

September 21st, 2007, 11:22 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay!! I'm glad you got it resolved. What a PITA to go through, though. Yikes!
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
September 21st, 2007, 11:28 AM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so glad that the manager cares about her customers.

September 21st, 2007, 11:44 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
That's great!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 21st, 2007, 12:00 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
w00t! 9$ off coming back. you MADE money because the cashier was a real jerk!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Darn right that's her response.

I would have thrown a fit. I cannot, *cannot* stand cashiers who think I care that they hate their jobs. I don't. Do it, shut up, or quit. For sure ask him to get a manager if there's a problem. My DH hates how long it takes as well, but he knows better than to push when I'm fighting to get our money back. The last time he went shopping with me, at Walgreens, I was stuck at the counter for almost 30 minutes because of the stupid Proctor and Gamble RRs that the Olay didn't trigger for whatever reason. He got antsy, but $10 is a lot to miss out on.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search