DH told me I have a problem

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2007, 07:21 AM
dzine21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He says I can't shop anymore. There's only two of us and he can't see what's in the pantry. He won't let me go! I only have like 20 boxes of toaster strudels. I only buy stuff we will eat. He said he doesn't even want to open the cabinet to the soup. Like there's too many? I think I only have about 15 in there. We'll go through that in a month once winter hits. Then I won't be able to get it on sale. He seriously thinks I have a problem. What do I do?

</div>
September 21st, 2007, 07:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
just keep showing him how much you are saving and maybe slow down just a little

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
September 21st, 2007, 07:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to GinaOfAllTrades
Tell him you are preparing for winter (ie. Hibernation) You have to shop.
September 21st, 2007, 07:32 AM
dzine21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Funy thing is, once winter hits, I won't go shopping. I hate going out. I do tend to hibernate! He just saw that I spent $100 last night and flipped when I brought home bag and bags of stuff. I bought kotex at HyVee 2for $5 with $1 off each. He went to put them away and said to me, " We have enough that both my sisters and mother could come over and all of you be on your period at the same time. We'd still have enough to have some left over."

</div>
September 21st, 2007, 07:46 AM
CBMS
My husband told me that we're all sick.

I was taking pictures of everything and he was like, "what are you doing?" I said, "we're showing pictures of our stockpiles again. It's been over a month..." his response, "you're all sick." Whatever... we're not sick... we'll be the only ones to survive if a hurricane comes and wipes out the stores and power, ding dong...
September 21st, 2007, 08:01 AM
gctattoo
Men commenting on periods. I would've said this," Well, I plan on keeping my uterus all the way up to menopause so at some point, I WILL need all these pads. Are they going to go stale if I don't use them right away? Now go off somewhere and scratch yourself. Leave the girly things up to me."

As for us all being "sick", I have one thing to say-- that glass house must've cost a fortune!

September 21st, 2007, 08:18 AM
CBMS
Show him Jess', Sarah's and my stockpile... and see how he feels then.
September 21st, 2007, 08:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My hubby just rolls his eyes. I think he secretly loves it though. He doesn't ask "Do we have..." anymore. Now it's "Where's the extra...".
September 21st, 2007, 08:49 AM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I showed my DH pictures of some of the ladies stockpiles, he also thinkgs it is a bit sick. He doesn't like to have things a mess, or too much, or things to get wasted or anything. I have let things go to waste sometimes in the past... but that was before I was as focused on saving money and as careful. Although, now he does seem pleased about what I am saving and he thanks me. Although, I didn't bring in my groceries last night, because to attempt to fit them in, I will need to seriously rearrange the overflowing pantry.

I will take some pictures of my messy stockpile sometime... when this home remodeling is over. I feel like I have about enough stuff... but then something new goes on sale... so who knows. I am definately running out of room.

So... that must be frustrating for you, hopefully you can work it out with him. It is important to try to save at least 50% if you are really "saving", if you are, just keep telling him how much you saved, etc, hopefully he appreciates it soon.

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
September 21st, 2007, 09:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I want to pull everything out of my cabinets and try to rearrange them because I know I can make more stuff fit and get if off my table. But then, I don't know when I would have the time!

I have to be careful about where I put box/pouch stuff too. I have to limit it to the upper cabinets or the table because it's going to be getting cold soon and we live in the country and even with cats in the house I'm afraid a mouse or two might try to slip in. We had one last winter and it didn't stay long before it got scared of the cats and left but we never managed to kill the darn thing because it stayed behind the stove/fridge where the cats couldn't get it. Ewww mice. I hate that there's really nothing I can do about them too. We live in the country, when it gets cold they are going to try to seek shelter and of course they try to come in.
September 21st, 2007, 09:21 AM
gctattoo
Sarah, I sympathize with your mouse problem. I grew up in the country and have lots of stories of mice getting into the house, including one that involves my best friend, a block of cheese, and a high heeled shoe. I feel sorry for you. Mice are gross and they scare me. *shudders*

You could get one of those big rubbermaid tubs and try to pack up all your boxes and packets in there. If they manage to gnaw through that thing-- run for your life!!

I would loooove to go to your place and organize your enormous stockpile. Organization is my favorite thing. Send me a plane ticket and I'm there.
September 21st, 2007, 09:32 AM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
He says I can't shop anymore. There's only two of us and he can't see what's in the pantry. He won't let me go! I only have like 20 boxes of toaster strudels. I only buy stuff we will eat. He said he doesn't even want to open the cabinet to the soup. Like there's too many? I think I only have about 15 in there. We'll go through that in a month once winter hits. Then I won't be able to get it on sale. He seriously thinks I have a problem. What do I do?[/b]

My DH feels the same way that yours does. He is constantly complaining about my obsession with shopping sales. He thinks that I spend way more money than I do. But I don't hear him complaining when he uses the last of something and asks if we have more, and I show him the 4 or 5 extras. Or when he accidentally rips a diaper and says, "not that big of a deal cause you somehow find a way to only pay 2cents a diaper" (i wish)

September 21st, 2007, 09:55 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you keep it really neat and organized? I know that my dh would throw a hissy fit if ours wasn't perfectly organized. He doesn't care since we have plenty of storage and I make sure to keep it tidy.

We actually play a game. I come home and put all the groceries on the counter, tell him their value, and ask him how much he thinks they cost me. He's getting really good, lol. Maybe try to do that a few times when you've made a really big score. The Safeway $20/20 deal has worked really well for that. Last one he was quite a bit off. I told him $60 worth of groceries. He guessed $9.75. NOPE $2.25!!! He is totally on board after hearing all my savings brags, lol.

I also tell him my year-to-date savings at the end of each month. I keep a tally in a word doc on my computer. $4113 so far this year... Granted, I wouldn't have bought a lot of that stuff if I'd actually had to pay full (or even sale) price for it, but he doesn't need to know that...

September 21st, 2007, 10:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Teri, you inspired me! I've been meaning to get a big tub to put some stuff in and kept forgetting. I read your post and was like, Oh Oh it's lunchtime I can go get one now.

Hehe, I ran up to Walmart and got a 30 gallon and a 10 gallon. I wanted to get a 35 gallon one instead of the 30 gallon one but they didn't have lids for that one. Oh well. Hopefully these will at least get the stuff off my table.
September 21st, 2007, 12:10 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Send your DH over to my house. I will show him the ENTIRE ROOM dedicated to my 'overflow' pantry. DH calls it 'the basement store'. I keep it sparklingly organized ... shelves faced like the grocery store and everything. I'll give him a tour ... and a stern talking to.
September 21st, 2007, 12:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
and a shin kick?

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
September 21st, 2007, 01:05 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
oooh, thats my dream. I want like a room lined with shelves, full of food.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 21st, 2007, 01:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I so want a room like that in the basement in our next house.
September 21st, 2007, 03:58 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
One of these days I'll get around to posting pictures again. I love my basement pantry. We are friends.

And the shin kick is only necessary if the talking to doesn't work, Liz.
September 21st, 2007, 05:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

I would loooove to go to your place and organize your enormous stockpile. Organization is my favorite thing. Send me a plane ticket and I'm there.
[/b]
Yeah, Sarah, send her a plane ticket! That way she can organize for me as well. Organizing makes me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search