A buy nothing month

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Who is planning on doing this?

I am not planning on buying anything next month except milk or unless it is free/they pay me. I'm not to sure if I'll be able to do it or not. I mentioned this to DH and he replied with "then I'm buying me 30 boxes of brownies this month" . The stuff I have been buying has overtaken the house. I need to get rid of some of it. Who is with me?

September 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm leaning towards taking a shot at this. I think I'm stocked up on everything I could possibly be stocked up on! Of course we'll have to buy milk and fresh fruit, but I really want to limit myself. I am hoping to see if I can finish making up for last month's spending spree! Things will really have to be outta this world deals and steals for me to buy it...I figure if several of us are doing it, it may be easier...afterall we do have an addiction!
September 21st, 2007, 06:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, we do have an addiction...

September 21st, 2007, 06:55 PM
donomama
I can't decide if I want to do this, or just cut my budget way down for the month, maybe in half. I'll have to think it over, but I'm definitely doing something drastic next month.
September 21st, 2007, 07:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I want to do it! We need to eat through some of my stockpile. I'm still going to have to get milk and bread but other than that I'm thinking only free stuff.

It's going to be tough if something is an awesome deal though.
September 21st, 2007, 07:02 PM
gctattoo
I could never do a true buy nothing month. I don't have much of a stockpile of food and we have too many things we need to buy frequently because they don't keep. But I'm buying nothing that I have in my toiletries stockpile. The only exception being diapers since I have alot of coupons to use and I'm not about to pay extra for those later on.

I don't know how much money this plan will save me though since I've been paying next to nothing for those things anyway. But I think it'll help me with the thinking that I just have to get something because it's a great deal or because I have a coupon for it. I need to break myself of that.
September 21st, 2007, 07:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I may have to stop looking at the sales ads, but then I wouldn't know if something was free...what to do, what to do

September 21st, 2007, 07:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I fear the sales ad will be the downfall to my plan. I may be too tempted. I'm letting myself get away with it next week because technically it's still this month. Walgreens has Dawn for $1 and I still have a buckoo of $1/2 coupons. Plus the cheap Pepsi at CVS. I didn't get the cokes this week because I was holding out for the pepsi.
September 21st, 2007, 07:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How much will the pepsi's be?

September 21st, 2007, 07:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It won't truly be buy nothing for me either, but it will be buy a heck of a lot les than normal month!
September 21st, 2007, 07:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well they're 3/$10 which isn't so cheap but then if you buy $15 you get $5 ECB so 5 for $11.66, again not all that awesome considering they go on 5/$11 at a few places every once in awhile but here is why it is awesome:

5 pepsi 12pks - $16.66
1 Advil maximum strength - $4
1 Degree Deo - $1.99
4 Excedrin - $7.96 (from my raincheck for the $1.99 price)
Total = $30.61
$5/$30
$1 degree CRT
$1 degree manu
$1 advil manu
$7.96 Excedrin manu (since they'll adjust them down)
$8 ECB
OOP $6.65 plus tax OR if I go ahead and use all $13 of my ECB it will be $1.65 plus tax.

And I will get $9 in ECB back.
September 21st, 2007, 07:43 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know about buy nothing, but I sure do plan on cutting waaaaaaaay back!
September 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I don't have a stockpile so i can't do this. Plus when I do start stockpiling stuff Chris gives it away to his friends. Which I don't mind too much as most military families are as poor as we are, but still.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 21st, 2007, 10:51 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I'm not in on this craziness. I did this less than six months ago, and although it rocked, there's no way we could comfortably do this with all five of us here right now. We *could* survive, but I'd never hear the end of it, and I'd have to start my stockpile over again. Boooo. I'm usually way under budget anyway, so I'm not really worried. Perhaps I don't have the bug as badly as the rest of you ... lol ... or, we're just broke most of the time.
September 22nd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy

I will be looking for deals for a while now

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
September 22nd, 2007, 09:29 AM
asianmama
we r not gonna buy anything except wic items next month
September 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Send a message via AIM to LindseyMarie
We don't have the space to stock up on enough to have a buy nothing month. But we did have a cheaper grocery bill on payday then we usually do (down to about 80 from uhhh 150? something like that)

So woohoo

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

September 22nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
donomama
I think I'm out on this one. I thought about it long and hard, and I know I can't do this. I'll go crazy. I AM going to spend as little as possible, but I know I'm just setting myself up for failure to say that I can't buy ANYTHING. Plus, one of the reasons that I am setting up my stockpile is for a food storage in case of an emergency, and I don't want it to dwindle down too much.
September 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM
mrsgishie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mrsgishie
It's easy to buy nothing when you have nothing to spend
DD Sarah Abbey born 9-8-04 (@ 34.3 wks, 5 lbs 1 oz. pre-eclampsia)</div><div align="center">DS Corbin Carroll born 6-29-06 (@ 35.3 wks, 6 lbs 3 oz. pre-eclampsia. emergency c-section)</div><div align="center"><span style="font-family:Franklin Gothic Medium">See MySpace</span></div>
<div align="center"> </div>
September 22nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
CBMS
I'm planning a "necessities-only" month for October. I have plenty of sides/snacks/desserts, but I may need some meats to carry us through. I will allot like 30 bucks for that. I don't buy milk, juice, cheese, and eggs because of WIC...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search