only a few more days, mommies...

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2007, 09:53 PM
CBMS
Then it'll be time to start saving again, in a whole new month of spending!

I'm starting to get excited to see if I can stay at my tiny little budget. I hope so... this going over crap kind of sucks.
September 26th, 2007, 12:19 AM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
I'm gonna have to go read what this grocery challenge is .....

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
September 26th, 2007, 05:45 AM
CBMS
Quote:
I'm gonna have to go read what this grocery challenge is .....[/b]

It's just a little 'game' that we play each month. We keep a tally of what we spend/save and see who stays under, who goes over, etc.

At the end of the month, I'll give a blinky to the person who stays farthest below their budget.

It's not really a contest against each other so much as it gives us each some accountability and challenges ourselves to stay within the budget we've set up (or if you're like me... once you go over you start really screwing around )
September 26th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

It's just a little 'game' that we play each month. We keep a tally of what we spend/save and see who stays under, who goes over, etc.

At the end of the month, I'll give a blinky to the person who stays farthest below their budget.

It's not really a contest against each other so much as it gives us each some accountability and challenges ourselves to stay within the budget we've set up (or if you're like me... once you go over you start really screwing around )
[/b]
Yeah! I was over by $170 last month! But I've made up for $60 of it this month and hope to make up the rest next month.

Kim, do you keep track of your spending for the year? Just curious...
September 26th, 2007, 05:50 AM
CBMS
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Yeah! I was over by $170 last month! But I've made up for $60 of it this month and hope to make up the rest next month.

Kim, do you keep track of your spending for the year? Just curious...
[/b]

No. I should. I may surprise myself.
September 26th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to tally Sept stuff this morning and then average for the year...it's still kinda high bc I wasn't doing as well in the beginning as I am now...
September 26th, 2007, 05:57 AM
CBMS
Maybe I will next year.

Thing is, though, I start out the year spending a LOT. I will literally stuff the freezer so it won't fit any more meat in it, and the pantry (though I won't have to do as much this year!) too... then I start my alternating of 50 dollars every two weeks in March or so...

I had to stock up with tax refunds so that it could kind of carry us all year long. Usually about this time, we're kind of scrimping, but I've been using money I shouldn't use this month.
September 26th, 2007, 07:13 AM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I won't be able to do this right now. I am way too busy with this popcorn removal ceiling project and everything is in boxes and everything is crazy.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
September 26th, 2007, 10:34 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What about changing it up one of these months. To maybe something like largest percentage of savings AND staying within budget. That gives more people a shot at it. Right now, if someone with a $600 budget stays $200 under budget, that automatically cuts out anyone who has a budget of $200 or less each month anyway, kwim?

But if we do a percentage of savings, then everyone has a shot regardless of budgeted amounts. Does that make sense? I have a feeling that Sarah would wipe the floor with us, but it'd be fun to try it!

September 26th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Jess, I like that idea!

September 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
What about changing it up one of these months. To maybe something like largest percentage of savings AND staying within budget. That gives more people a shot at it. Right now, if someone with a $600 budget stays $200 under budget, that automatically cuts out anyone who has a budget of $200 or less each month anyway, kwim?

But if we do a percentage of savings, then everyone has a shot regardless of budgeted amounts. Does that make sense? I have a feeling that Sarah would wipe the floor with us, but it'd be fun to try it![/b]
Ha! Except I have yet to be able to keep myself within budget. Sigh, there was supposed to be no more shopping this week but Meijer broke me down yesterday. Their pet treats are so cheap this week. I'm battling with myself whether I want to go get more tomorrow since with the coupons it works out to like 50c for a bag that's normally $3.50. My dogs LOVE them and I don't think I could have enough considering how long the expiration date is on them. Plus I have more pizza roll coupons. Hmmm, 10 more boxes for $1 total. Ack!! I can't wait for October. It's my "fresh start", necessities and freebies only, I say!!

I like the idea of making it a % of savings PLUS being in budget though.
September 26th, 2007, 01:17 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
or just do the percentage of spendings vs. budget. Like if my budget is 240$ and I spend 120$ my savings vs. budget is 50%. I don't always have a ton of money to save a ton, you know?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 26th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Those are really good ideas!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search