Can I just tell you that I freaking HATE MY STATE!!!!!!!

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2007, 07:42 AM
CBMS
OK... so I only get 45.00 a week child support anyway, which sure isn't much. It's ordered through the state of MI, who uses the formula of 4.35(weekly amount)=monthly amount of support. So they always just send the 195.75 (4.35x45.00) to FL... well, now FL has decided that I don't get that. My order is 45.00 a week, so I should only get 180.00. *** is it to them? They don't order the freaking support, MICHIGAN DOES! Why do they get to make up their own freaking rules regarding MY MONEY when it's ordered through a DIFFERENT STATE????????

So needless to say... they held part of my child support that I was counting on actually HAVING to make my student loan payment. Nothing better than getting screwed by the state...

I want to fire them.... I don't need them handling my money. It is just an unnecessary step, really, that delays my payments! But it's a whole long freaking line of red tape to get rid of them!! Creeps.
September 26th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to GinaOfAllTrades
Michigan doesn't send it straight to you?
September 26th, 2007, 07:51 AM
gctattoo
I'm sorry, Kim. They have no right to interfere with state-ordered child support that's not even through Florida. I guess it makes them feel important and powerful.
September 26th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My state sucks at child support too. My ex is $50,00 behind. Since he makes a good faith effort of $50 a month that's OK. They won't take any action against him. It pisses me off no end. Then they sent a letter last month saying that starting in October they'll take $50 a year in administrative costs out of my money. That's if they get you more than $500. With my luck they'll make sure I get $501 for the fiscal year. I hate Virginia's child support enforcement.
September 26th, 2007, 08:10 AM
CBMS
Quote:
Michigan doesn't send it straight to you?[/b]

No. I wish. I am going to suck it up and get through their red tape somehow. I am firing FL. There is absolutely no reason for them to handle my money. It's stupid. They have no right... I don't know why they do, anyway! They supposedly "turned it over" to MI in 01, so you would think that they wouldn't handle my money! Yet they do..
September 26th, 2007, 08:12 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I would call the Friend of the Court in Michigan. Explain to them that Florida is VIOLATING your order for support. Maybe Michigan will get on it, if not you can always contact the judge who ordered the support in the first place. He's likely to be unhappy that another state thinks it knows better than he does.
September 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That is so stupid! Do they not realize that there is actually more than 4 weeks in a month?

September 26th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Maybe someone should explain to them that if they do that they are shorting you 4 weeks of support a year. Because 4 weeks x 12 months in a year is only 48 weeks of support. Duh, FL a year has 52 weeks!!
September 26th, 2007, 09:07 AM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh I'm sorry FL is being so stupid Kim. Who are they to tell you how much child support you should get?

September 26th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Nedene's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I would call the Friend of the Court in Michigan. Explain to them that Florida is VIOLATING your order for support. Maybe Michigan will get on it, if not you can always contact the judge who ordered the support in the first place. He's likely to be unhappy that another state thinks it knows better than he does.[/b]

Yeppers I'd call Michigan Too... From what i know.. (my DH is on the paying end) is that the money is direct deposited into my DSD's BM's account and no one other than the state of Michigan touches it and takes out their fee's.. (Side note: Neither of us live in MI, But they still hold the order)

Hope you can get things figured out!

September 26th, 2007, 01:21 PM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
FL sucks! I hope that you can get it straightened out.

September 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I'm a bit confused....
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 26th, 2007, 03:50 PM
CBMS
Quote:
I'm a bit confused....[/b]

why?
September 26th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you have to go through these hoops!

Although...since you have to deal with it...you may as well get the amount adjusted and get what your daughter deserves!!!
September 26th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Is there any way you can request to get the amount weekly?

September 26th, 2007, 07:57 PM
CBMS
Quote:
I'm sorry you have to go through these hoops!

Although...since you have to deal with it...you may as well get the amount adjusted and get what your daughter deserves!!![/b]

I don't have to go to MI to fix this, though... Or I would do that in a second. I just have to go two miles up the street, sit for about three hours, sign the papers, and wait for them to screw up my money situation. They are supposed to immediately fax MI to let them know that they are no longer going to disburse the monies, but I'm sure they won't... just because they SUCK.

Quote:
Is there any way you can request to get the amount weekly?[/b]

No; it depends when he gets paid... it comes at various times/in various amounts. I have a copy of the order to his job, though, and it says if paid weekly: 45.00 [bi-weekly, twice monthly] if paid once a month: 195.75. FL just sucks...
September 26th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I know nothing about child support... the numbers are making my head spin.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

September 26th, 2007, 10:39 PM
CBMS
Quote:
I know nothing about child support... the numbers are making my head spin.[/b]

They calculate it the same way that the department calculates income. If you make x a week, then they multiply it by 4.33 or 4.35, depending on the state, to come up with your monthly gross income. That's because there is technically more than 4 weeks a month (except for February). That is the way it all averages out... otherwise, you'd lose the other four weeks in the calculations.

So, he has to pay 45/week. MI calculates by saying that the months average out to being 4.35 weeks, so the 45x4.35=195.75. Which is the amount I've always gotten (or supposed to have gotten anyway) since it was set up in 02. Until now...

now FL says that I only get 180.00 a month because 45x4=180. But also, 4x12 is only 48, so I guess they think I just don't deserve any child support on those weeks...

(I wonder if they'll knock off 4 weeks of Scott's income to figure whether Maddie can have Medicaid... goose, gander, you know... )
September 27th, 2007, 02:30 PM
ah, I get it now! Thanks! And what a load of bull!

September 27th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You child support is pretty much a joke. How do they expect his share of there support only be $180 a month? Although, I get much less

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search