Darn it!!

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just got a call from my pharmacist and apparently one of the drugs I was recommended to help me induce breastmilk has been pulled from the FDA. Grrrr!!!

Not that I want to take it if it's dangerous, but why can't anything ever just be easy? I've got a call out to one lactation consultant and an email out to another to see what I can take in its place. And then I'm sure I'll have to go back in to my OB to get a new script for whatever they recommend.

Oh well, it will all be worth it if it works and I'm able to breastfeed the baby.
September 26th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That stinks!

September 26th, 2007, 01:02 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Which one is it? I know Reglan helps a lot, as does Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle (I believe), Mothers milk tea
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Domperidone. I think Reglan is going to be the replacement for it.

I will also be taking Blessed Thistle, Fenugreek and a low dose BCP (to simulate pregnancy, I take the active ones and skip the placebos) too.
September 26th, 2007, 02:47 PM
CBMS
Awww... sorry about that.

I hope they find something else that's a working alternative.
September 26th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Domperidone. I think Reglan is going to be the replacement for it.

I will also be taking Blessed Thistle, Fenugreek and a low dose BCP (to simulate pregnancy, I take the active ones and skip the placebos) too.[/b]
I heard about this on the news the other day but then I forgot to mention it!

I hope everything works out well!
September 26th, 2007, 05:03 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Sarah, my dear, you are also amazing. (I just said the same thing about Kim ... hence the 'also') Seriously, you rock.
September 26th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Aww thanks Mandi!

I think the Reglan is going to be the working replacement, now I just have to see if my OB will call in the script for it without me having to go in to see her.
September 26th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Reglan works really well hun
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

September 27th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Is this crazy?

I've been doing some research on surromomsonline and I CAN still get the domperidone. I just have to order it online and have it shipped from New Zealand where it is an OTC med. That's what the intended mothers on that site are doing.

Now of course I could just go with the Reglan, but I would have to take a much higher dose because apparently it isn't AS effective in increasing milk production (although milk production isn't what either of the drugs is actually intended for but it is a side effect of both). And Reglan crosses the blood/brain barrier and is known to cause neurological disorders and depression. Domperidone doesn't cross this border.

Reglan has also been cited to have "unknown effects" on nursing infants while Domperidone has been approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics (even though it's disallowed by the FDA ).

At this point I'm thinking of ordering the domperidone. It was pulled for possible cardiac side effects but apparently those only occur when the drug is taken via IV and are not found when the drug is taken orally.

The only thing that worries me about ordering online is how to know that what they send me is the right stuff and not just something dressed up in the right package. I do feel a bit comfortable that some of the moms on SMO have been ordering and taking it for months with no ill side effects to report, but I'm just a little nervous about it.
September 27th, 2007, 10:43 AM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
When you get the pills online .... you can look them up online and find pictures of what it's supposed to look like and what's supposed to be inscribed on them if anything

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
September 27th, 2007, 01:05 PM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Send a message via AIM to LindseyMarie
Fenugreek is amazing.

I hope you find something that works well for you!!

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

September 27th, 2007, 02:03 PM
hmmm I haven't heard that about Reglan before. They prescribe it to infants for reflux I thought.

September 27th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
They probably do, just in small dosages. I just read that Reglan is not recommended for use beyond 12 weeks either and I would need it for much longer than that. Domperidone (in other countries) has been prescribed for chronic patients. The depression comment keeps coming up again and again with the Reglan. Everything I've read says if you're prone to depression it's not the drug for you so I should probably avoid it.
September 27th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just me personally, I would stick with what the FDA allows. Fenugreek is awesome! My son couldn't breast feed so I got some since I wasn't sure how just pumping would work. I was able to pump 30-40 oz a day for 4 months (I quit bc we were going to a wedding in Mexico...didn't want the hassle!) I didn't even take that much of it compared to what is recommended either.

Are you looking to BF for the bonding experience/baby getting BM or both? Would April be willing to pump for you for awhile? They also have devices that you attach to yourself and it is connected to a container of BM and so the baby thinks she is nursing.
September 27th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The fenugreek probably won't be enough for me though since I won't have been pregnant. I'm sure April would be willing because she's great like that but it's something I want to try. I can't carry but there is a possibility I can breastfeed and it's just really really important to me to try. I just don't want this to be one more thing I can't do. I'll be ok if I do everything I can and it just doesn't work, but I really want that experience. I want my baby to be fed at my breast because I can only imagine how powerful that would be.

It's hard to explain. And it's just something I'm pretty emotional about. I know taking something that's not approved by the FDA isn't ideal but after reading the reasons it was pulled I honestly feel pretty comfortable with it. I definately want to avoid the Reglan given it's tendency to bring on depression. If there was any evidence it would work with just the herbs that would be great but everything I read keeps recommending the domperidone for adoptive mothers or mothers of babies born to surrogates.
September 27th, 2007, 06:17 PM
And you are going to start pumping right? Why wait until 7 months to start? Can't you start now?

September 27th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have to take the meds for awhile before I can start pumping. Otherwise it would do no good, I wouldn't get anything. The meds will simulate a "pregnancy" so that when I go off of them and start the herbs and pumping my body will be tricked into thinking I delivered and start releasing milk for my baby.
September 27th, 2007, 07:28 PM
But the pumping might make it stimulate it sooner, you know? I've heard amazing stories of women who began pumping (without herbs) and began producing... so if you could get to producing and then start the meds/herbs it could only be more beneficial, right?

September 27th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmm, I'm not sure. I'm only going off what the lactation consultants and other moms who have done it have told me. To tell you the truth I was planning on "cheating" and was going to start pumping at maybe 6 months. I've heard being on the meds for a long time before you start pumping really makes it easier though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search