WOOHOO for Albertsons and WIC!!

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM
CBMS
After my little disappointment at Publix, I headed over to Albertsons to cash my WIC check... since they have the cheese blocks on sale BOGO, I get FOUR pounds of cheese instead of just TWO! woot!!

So for my WIC today, I got double cheese and I saved WIC 3.25 in coupons (three .75/2 of the krafts and a 1.00 cream of wheat coupon).

yay! I got double cheese. Too bad I'd already cashed Madeline's other check for 2# of cheese... I'd love another 2# free. I don't buy cheese because it's too expensive, and she eats so much cheese that even with my three pounds, it's gone before we have new WIC checks to use. I'd have loved more. I will use my check in a couple days and get a free pound on that too. woohoo. Maybe I can find more coupons, too, before then... since their everyday prices are a little higher than the other stores. I kind of feel bad not using coupons there.

I also got 21.86 pounds of split chicken breasts for 19.24. woot. Savings of: 46.10! That split up into 8 packs of chicken (to somehow sqeeze into the freezer), so that and the beef from Publix together make 2 weeks worth of meals for 40 bucks.

That should definitely get me started on the right track for a necessities-only spending month next month.
September 26th, 2007, 01:13 PM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
(to somehow sqeeze into the freezer), so that and the beef from Publix together make 2 weeks worth of meals for 40 bucks.[/b]

Kim, have you already filled up that brand new freezer?

September 26th, 2007, 01:35 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, great score on the chicken! I can't find a good deal on chicken OR beef around here right now.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
September 26th, 2007, 01:38 PM
CBMS
Quote:
Quote:
(to somehow sqeeze into the freezer), so that and the beef from Publix together make 2 weeks worth of meals for 40 bucks.[/b]

Kim, have you already filled up that brand new freezer?
[/b]

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

pretty much. That's why I'm so far over... I kinda went a little trying to get it all filled up.

Here she is!!

yep--there's eggo's behind the eggo's:

and lots of my strudels behind the chicken fingers:

and lots of meat...

and bread/bagels/hoagie rolls:

September 26th, 2007, 02:01 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Good Grief Kim!

I didn't know you could take advantage of the BOGO with WIC checks! Thats awesome! We were just getting WIC for Anastasia (mine ran out when she turned 1) and we finally put Anthony back on it (he hasn't been on since he was 8 months) because we were flying through the cereal and cheese. So now we get 4 lbs of cheese a month! Woohoo!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 26th, 2007, 02:10 PM
CBMS
Quote:
Good Grief Kim!

I didn't know you could take advantage of the BOGO with WIC checks! Thats awesome! We were just getting WIC for Anastasia (mine ran out when she turned 1) and we finally put Anthony back on it (he hasn't been on since he was 8 months) because we were flying through the cereal and cheese. So now we get 4 lbs of cheese a month! Woohoo![/b]

Yep. You are entitled to all the sales as "regular" customers. I get free cereals too, when they're BOGO. If it's a BOGO, then the only ones they count are the ones that WIC pays for. The others are the bonus from the store in compliance with you being just like any other customer!! It's awesome, for sure!! Maddie gets double cheese because she's lactose intolerant, so she has two checks a month: one that has 36 oz cereal, 1 doz. eggs, 2# cheese, and 3 juice; the other has 2#cheese, 1 doz. eggs, and 3 juice. Hers are the most awesome when they have cheese BOGO's.
September 26th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
That is nice! When I was getting the nursing checks (that run out after a year) I was getting extra juice, milk, cheese, peanut butter, and carrots. Now the kids EACH get

36 oz of cereal
4 units of juice
1 jar of peanut butter/ 1 lb of beans (alternating months)
5 gallons of milk
2 lbs of cheese
2 dozen eggs
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

September 26th, 2007, 03:38 PM
CBMS
That's pretty close to what I get...

5.5 gal milk
6 bottles of juice (or frozen concentrate)
2 # cheese
2 doz eggs
36 oz cereal
and 1 jar of peanut butter

Maddie will get peanut butter after she turns 2.
September 26th, 2007, 03:43 PM
CBMS
(it's such a HUGE help with a tight budget)
September 26th, 2007, 06:01 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Kim, have I mentioned lately that you're flippin' amazing?

'cuz you are.

September 27th, 2007, 02:26 PM
WIC is a lifesaver for our budget. We COULD do without if we had to, but it helps. And I figure Chris putting his life on the line for the country should be enough for the naysayers out there who think we are evil for TTC while on WIC.

September 27th, 2007, 02:38 PM
gctattoo
Beth, don't worry about TTC while on WIC. It's absolutely not just for "poor" people. The income guidelines are pretty lax. I think DH makes a pretty good living and we were well within the guidelines. If everyone on WIC never had any more children, the population would die out in a couple years.

We just didn't bother to do it because for us, it would've cost us way more than what it saved us. Since I don't drive, DH would've had to take time off work each time I would have to go there. Hmmmm....$20 per overtime hour or $20-$30 of food? I'd rather have the cash. He took so much time off just for my doc's appointments that it'd be pure craziness to keep doing it just for WIC. Plus I don't buy all the things they would've given me for free. I was saving that money already!

WIC is a great program and we decided that we'd rather have someone who really really needs it take our place. And with Kim using coupons with hers, she's helping others get what they need as well by saving the govt. some money. Most people don't care enough to do that.
September 27th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry anyone would try to make you feel bad about it Beth. You're absolutely right, soldiers do NOT get paid near enough and you should just consider it another form of his compensation from the federal government. I think it's a great program and I used to love to cash those checks for people when I was a cashier. It was so fun, to see them get it for "free", even though yes it's not really free, the gov't was paying the store back for it. I hate it when people make blatant statements about people on financial assistance like WIC or foodstamps. I'm tired of hearing people complain about it who have never either needed it themselves or known someone who did.

And Kim, can I just say that it's AWESOME that you combine it with coupons and BOGO sales? I can't say I ever saw anyone do that when I was a cashier.

You know the people who REALLY take advantage of the financial assitance programs? The people who have more than enough money to support themselves and yet figure out some loophole to allow them to get on a program. I knew a DOCTOR'S kid in college who drove a freaking BMW who got $20 a week in foodstamps because he qualified for it in KY since he was a full-time college student and had a part-time job at the mall where he worked 20-30 hours a week. I was like "Don't you feel BAD for taking it, though? It was meant for people who really needed it." His response "I qualify. They must think I need it." Umm, no. Not when Daddy's paying your way through college and for your apartment and your job money just goes for weekend keggers. No you don't need it.
September 27th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Thats how I feel. Chris doesn't get paid much, at all. The benefits are great so I can't say we're "poor" but we are broke. It's nice to never have to worry about health care or where we'll live, but sometimes looking at our bank account is depressing. I never knew you could use coupons with it though, so I'll definitely start doing that. I never fill a check if I won't use it. Like if I know I don't need milk and the check is going to expire I won't fill it just because. I never filled the cereal checks for Anastasia because she doesn't like cereal (infants that is). I mean it took us 3 years to put Anthony on it, we could have been getting double food but we weren't because we didn't need it. Most people are understanding but we have gotten a few comments about how dare we TTC when we are getting WIC. I think what Chris does more than makes up for a few gallons of milk a month, you know?

September 27th, 2007, 07:02 PM
CBMS
Quote:
Most people are understanding but we have gotten a few comments about how dare we TTC when we are getting WIC. I think what Chris does more than makes up for a few gallons of milk a month, you know?[/b]

Bah. Aside from him serving the country, you do pay taxes. So do we. Thousands a year, in fact... And I *always* use coupons with WIC. I get multiple coupons for the juice and cheese, and I always use them for WIC first, and if I have some coupons left and run out of something, then I'll use them for me. I figure that I'm careful with my own money, why not with theirs??
September 27th, 2007, 07:19 PM
This is true. We pay into it, so we are just utilizes our tax money Kim, you totally amaze me. I would have never thought to use coupons with WIC, but I will now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search