Uh oh, may have found the perfect house before we meant too...

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Since April, posted about the possibility of getting her grandfather's house I did a little searching on the internet since I've been trying to get DH to move. Usually he's just "no, no, no" and finds something wrong with everyone I show him. But tonight I found one he LOVED. It's in a better location (April - It's in Floyds Knobs), it has a basement, it has a 2+ car detached garage and best of all it has 2 acres so still plenty of room for the dogs to run. With basement square footage it has 2500sq ft. This is a LOT bigger than our current one. And the price is ~$125,000 which is GREAT for that area and that size of house. Our monthly payment would probably double from what we have now (a 3 bedroom manufactured home on 3.5 acres, probably about 800-900 sq ft). It would save me about an hour drive every day since it would only be 30 min from work instead of an hour. EEEEE! I'm excited!

Watch it's probably already been sold and they just haven't taken it off their website yet. I have a call in to the agent's cell and told her to call me back ASAP. Keep your fingers crossed for us.
September 27th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh my goodness! A 2500 sq foot house for 125K-that's insane! How would your finances handle a double payment?
September 27th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We could swing it, we are putting more than that in savings each month anyway, saving up to have 20% to put down but I think it's going to be worth it to go ahead and get it since it's a great deal and would save me so much drive time. If it's still available.
September 27th, 2007, 06:54 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
ooooh my fingers are crossed for you!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 27th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
WOW! In Flyods Knobs? I hope that house is as good as it sounds!

September 27th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Me too!! We've already agreed that as long as it's still available and passes an inspection we are getting it. It's just too good to pass up!
September 27th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That sounds like a great deal! I hope it works out for you.
September 27th, 2007, 08:02 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I actually know people that live in Floyds Knobs. How bizarre ...
September 27th, 2007, 10:04 PM
donomama
I just can't believe you can find a house for $125,000 anymore. I'm moving to southern Indiana tomorrow!

I hope it all works out for you!
September 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, too good to be true! Just talked to the agent and apparently this house is also a manufactured home, it's just that they put it on a basement and then bricked over it? I'm not sure why someone would brick over one, that's a little odd. Anyway, we don't want to get into another manufactured home so we're passing.
September 28th, 2007, 06:40 AM
BoxerMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to BoxerMom
Awww...I'm sorry! But as the saying goes, it was not meant to be! I am sure that you will find something soon!!

September 28th, 2007, 07:55 AM
CBMS
Let's all move to Kentucky where you can still pick up 100 acres for 100K. We can split the property and all build our own houses...

and a huge warehouse with separate areas for everyone's stockpiles.
September 28th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^
September 28th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Actually, my Dad has 200+ acres that he said I could have if I moved down there.....
September 28th, 2007, 09:28 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
wow... thats a lot of land! I love this area and it's pretty affordable. We have a few million dollar homes, and they are mansions sitting on 30 acres of land with private lakes and stuff.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 28th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's been in our family for YEARS. I know it was my Great-Aunt's/Grandmother's land and then they gave it to my Dad, I want to say that it was THEIR Dad's land before that. I'm not sure how far back. Then my Dad bought a small house that is on the edge of it and that was the house he meant for my sister's family to live in. Of course what happened? My sister's husband lives there, she lives there occasionally although she has more of a "dating" relationship with her husband and her kids live with my Mom and Dad at their house on the smaller farm (30 or so acres with 3 houses, they rent out 2 of them). It's a long story but boils down to my Dad's kind of sick of her taking advantage and thinking everything's hers so he wants to give the whole farm to me instead of splitting it like he had always planned.
September 28th, 2007, 05:46 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry the house didn't work out.

I have land envy. I grew up on about 20-30 acres and now I live on...maybe a 6th of an acre?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search