Homemade Laundry Detergent

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Candicemomof4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone made laundry detergent? Do you like it ? I read an article in a magazine about it....it says it can cost very little a load etc. So I was wondering if it was worth trying. I like my clothes to be clean...LOL and smell really good...not unscented. They did have alternatives for adding scent. Since winter is coming and the baby is due in February I am planning to hibernate from the store for the winter and I am starting to really stockpile...and I haven't been able to stockpile too much laundry det(not too many sales and coupons that match)...so this could help out.

Thanks!

Candice mom of 4

September 28th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Has anyone made laundry detergent? Do you like it ? I read an article in a magazine about it....it says it can cost very little a load etc. So I was wondering if it was worth trying. I like my clothes to be clean...LOL and smell really good...not unscented. They did have alternatives for adding scent. Since winter is coming and the baby is due in February I am planning to hibernate from the store for the winter and I am starting to really stockpile...and I haven't been able to stockpile too much laundry det(not too many sales and coupons that match)...so this could help out.

Thanks![/b]

Funny DH follow up....I just told him I am considering making this....he said "D@mn Can... we can afford real laundry detergent!" LOL he doesn't have a clue what anything costs anyway but I just thought that was funny.

Candice mom of 4

September 28th, 2007, 06:31 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
oooh I'd be interested in this!! Do you have a recipe?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 28th, 2007, 06:51 PM
donomama
I looked into it a couple of months ago, but DH drew the line at me making up my own laundry soap in the kitchen. I probably would have tried to talk him into it, but I found it impossible to find washing soda (which is different than baking soda). Here is a site that has a couple recipes. If you make it, let me know how they turn out.

http://www.thefrugalshopper.com/arti...etergent.shtml
September 28th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Quote:
oooh I'd be interested in this!! Do you have a recipe?[/b]

Here it is : Wondering what the difference between essential oil is and oil I use to make candles and air fresheners?

You will need 3 basic ingredients; a soap of some sort, washing soda and borax.

The Soap: The most typical type of soap to use is Fels Naptha. It is an old-fashioned type of soap usually found in the laundry aisle. The other options for soap are Ivory or another brand called, Zote. Any of these will work. If you use Ivory or your own homemade soap you will need to use the whole bar.

Washing Soda: This is not to be confused with baking soda. They are not the same thing. Washing soda is sodium carbonate or soda ash (baking soda is sodium bicarbonate). It is a white powder. Its purpose is to help remove dirt and orders. The brand to look for is Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. I find it in the laundry section of my grocery store. Many people have a hard time finding this locally. I know you can purchase it on-line, even through Amazon.com. I would also suggest asking your grocery store manager if it would be possible for the store to get it for you.

Borax: Borax is a naturally occurring mineral: Sodium Borate. It is a white powder. It’s purpose is as a laundry whitener and deodorizer. The brand to look for is 20 Mule Team. It comes in a 76 oz. box. You should be able to locate this in the laundry detergent aisle. Again as with the washing soda, if you cannot find it ask you store manager or look online.

The Recipe

Now that you have assembled all the needed ingredients here is the recipe:

Homemade Laundry Soap

1/3 bar Fels Naptha or other type of soap, as listed above

½ cup washing soda

½ cup borax powder

~You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size~

Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. You use ½ cup per load.

**A few things to note about the soap**

~The finished soap will not be a solid gel. It will be more of a watery gel that has been accurately described as an "egg noodle soup" look.

~The soap is a low sudsing soap. So if you don’t see suds, that is ok. Suds are not what does the cleaning, it is the ingredients in the soap.

Optional: If you want your soap to have some sort of scent you can scent this with ½ to 1 oz. of essential oil or fragrance oil of your choice. My favorite scent is orange essential oil.

Quote:
I looked into it a couple of months ago, but DH drew the line at me making up my own laundry soap in the kitchen. I probably would have tried to talk him into it, but I found it impossible to find washing soda (which is different than baking soda). Here is a site that has a couple recipes. If you make it, let me know how they turn out.

http://www.thefrugalshopper.com/arti...etergent.shtml[/b]

I was wondering how easy that would be to find and how much it would cost....I put it on my shopping list to look for it when I am out and about. I don't ever remember seeing washing soda but I don't think I have ever looked either.

Candice mom of 4

September 28th, 2007, 08:11 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I make my own laundry soap. I do not like heavily scented clothes, so I just make the basic recipe out of half a bar of Fels plus whatever slivers of our homemade soap I've saved. It costs me less than $2.00 to make a gallon of detergent, and it is very easy to do.

I never could find washing soda anywhere in Alabama, but up here they sell it at the grocery store. I've never found it at any walmart.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 28th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
hmmm... how interesting!! I told Chris and he told me no, but I'm going to do it anyway. I think I will wait until he deploys and get all the stuff for it. I am totally for cheap laundry soap. I wonder how much money it is per load, you know?

oooh that link has a recipe for powdered soap... I wonder which is better?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

September 28th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Quote:
hmmm... how interesting!! I told Chris and he told me no, but I'm going to do it anyway. I think I will wait until he deploys and get all the stuff for it. I am totally for cheap laundry soap. I wonder how much money it is per load, you know?

oooh that link has a recipe for powdered soap... I wonder which is better?[/b]

Ok here is what the rest of her article said......and why do the hubby's find making the det so ridiculous LOL My hubby thinks I am nuts....and keeps saying we can afford real det....that is not the point LOL! I am going to try it to....:

Here are my calculations:

The cost of making the above recipe of laundry soap was .71 cents. That was amazing to me! With this 2 gallon size recipe you will have enough to do 64 loads of laundry. That translates to about .01 cent a load.

How Did I Figure This Out?

Here is the breakdown of my costs and how I came up with those numbers (I am using the prices I paid for these items and you may find your price varies some based on what you pay):

Fels Naptha: $1.12 for a 5.5 oz bar. The recipes says use a 1/3 of a bar. I calculated 2 oz. just to make the math a little easier. The cost of the Fels Naptha per batch is: .40 cents

Washing Soda: $2.23 for a 55 oz. box. This came to .17 cents per batch. I calculated how much per oz (2.23 divided by 55) and then weighed a half cup of washing soda (4.2oz.) and multiplied my per oz. price by 4.2

Borax: $3.27 for a 76 oz. box. This came to .14 cents per batch. Did the same calculations as above, however a 1/2 cup of borax weighs 3.5 oz.

For the final numbers I have .40 + .17 + .14 = .71 for 2 gallons of laundry detergent.

Two gallons translates to 64- 1/2 cup portions and .71 divided by 64 = .01109, etc... or about .01 cent a load!

Quote:
I make my own laundry soap. I do not like heavily scented clothes, so I just make the basic recipe out of half a bar of Fels plus whatever slivers of our homemade soap I've saved. It costs me less than $2.00 to make a gallon of detergent, and it is very easy to do.

I never could find washing soda anywhere in Alabama, but up here they sell it at the grocery store. I've never found it at any walmart.[/b]

Congrats on the new baby she is beautiful! I am going to try to find the washing soda this weekend and try it..using the leftover soap is a great idea I'm saving my slivers from now on...thanks

Candice mom of 4

September 28th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Chris's grandma used to make her own handsoap, and he said he wouldn't MIND if I did that but he prefers Dove. He said making your own handsoap was way to much work.

I'm totally making my own laundry detergent though!

Do you find that the clothes are dingy or anything with your version- JHmomofmany?

September 28th, 2007, 11:59 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I have seen washing soda at Kroger.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search