Christmas Shopping

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2007, 01:55 PM
nuclearwife82's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to nuclearwife82
I know its early but does anyone try to get it done before the holiday season?

I try to. I hate the crowds around the holiday season. Last year I had all of our shopping for our extended families done before Thanksgiving but we bought each other's gifts at The King Of Prussia Mall outside of Philly when we took a weekend trip out that way. I seriously wandered around for 3 hours unable to figure out what to buy my husband thanks to the crowds and the fact that The King of Prussia Mall is huge.

My second question...do any of you stock up on things that were at a good price for when you unexpectedly need a gift? My mom mom used to do that a fill a big box in the attic with these extras. I would like to try to do this but (and this sounds wrong) theres always something around my house that needs cash thrown at it (like i need new dishes I'm down to like three plates) and I never get around to working on my gift stash.

September 30th, 2007, 02:08 PM
CBMS
I like to be done early, but it's not possible with Scott's bonus not coming to us until the last day they work before Christmas. I will pick up clearance stuff here and there, but then the real shopping happens on that last workday...which will be Christmas Eve this year. So I'll probably not get much... I'll either be 4 days overdue or have a brand new baby, and the kids will be out school... don't know when I'd go!

Oh... and I rarely buy stuff for future gifts for anyone but the kids...
September 30th, 2007, 02:16 PM
gctattoo
We do very little Christmas shopping. We generally spend $100 on each of the two older kids which is what takes up most of our shopping. But we're getting off easy this year-- there is a big professional wrestling event coming to Orlando (only just over an hour away from us) sometime next spring so both kids want to go to that. With the price of the tickets and a bit of spending money, that takes care of their Christmas. Then since they won't get any actual presents, I think I've convinced DH to not do a regular Christmas for Alisha either. We'll probably buy her one new toy for about $40 but that'll be it. She won't remember it and she doesn't understand yet anyway.

As for anyone else, we get something only for his dad & stepmom and my mom. My mom will find something she likes when she comes to visit next time and we'll buy it for her and call it a Christmas gift. And we spend about $20 each on his dad and stepmom so that doesn't take long to shop for.
September 30th, 2007, 04:24 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
We shop throughout the year when the prices are good, so we don't really do "Christmas shopping" persay.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
September 30th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I try to get things here and there, but most ges done in Nov/Dec.
September 30th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Nicole_M's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like to pick up things here and there. I am going to buy the things I want for Roger as I see them because I'm sure they will be popular presents this Christmas being that it's all Little Einsteins and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
But mostly it will be done in December.
September 30th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't have too many people to shop for (depending on if I just buy for the have to or if I go all out) but I'll pick stuff up if I see a great sale. This year, besides each other our Xmas list is:

DH's Dad
DH's Mom
My Dad
My Mom
My Sister
Nephew#1 - Age 16 (Will get a giftcard to buy a video game)
Nephew #2 - Age 8 (Done with my shopping for him)
Nephew #3 - Age 7 (Done with my shopping for him)
Niece #1 - Age 1 (1/2 done with shopping)
Niece #2 - Age 10 (1/2 done with shopping)
Cousin #1 - One of my many many cousins but the only one I exchange gifts with because we grew up more like sisters.
Baby Cousins - Some of the cousins I was close with when I was little have new babies so I think I will buy for them, but baby shopping is fun!! There's about 3 or 4 of these. I may go all out and buy for all the little ones though which would be about 13 or 14 kids (we have a BIG family, this is only a tiny little portion).

I think we decided that we wouldn't be exchanging with DH's brothers and their wifes but I don't know if that's 100%. April and I had suggested that we just do the boy's mom & dad and then any of the grandkids that are under 18. I don't know if our other SIL loved that idea though. I do feel a little bad about cutting out our other nephew who is 18, we'll see.

And this is the first year that my friends and I decided to just do a dinner so that cuts out some.
September 30th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm planning on keeping Christmas small this year. We have not done to much shopping yet.

I'm planning on getting Carly and Issac one or two smaller things from Santa. I am just planning on getting Carly an outfit and a toy from us. Issac is harder. I'm thinking about getting him a couple of games. At this age it is all about the size of the box.

We draw names on my side of the family for the kids. Since we have 2 kids we draw two names. That is 2 names on my mom's side and 2 names on my dad's side. Then there is my mom and step-dad--they are getting shampoo and other stuff I have gotten for free. My 11 year old sister is getting shampoo and some makeup that I have gotten for free. My brothers will probably each get a book--no more than $10 each. My in-laws are getting some of my free stuff as well. I'll get a gift card of some sorts for my nephew on DH side--maybe $10. My dad will probably get a gc for $20.

I'm going to put $20 in DH paypal account.

I'm going to try to keep it at $350

September 30th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was thinking I'd keep it at $350-$400 including DH and my presents to each other. That is unless I do the overboard with the kids which will add another $100. I'm thinking I should resist since I sent all the babies presents when they were born but I just LOVE to shop for little kids. Hmmm, maybe I should just go a little more overboard with my nieces and nephews, we're closer with them anyway.

Oh April, remind me to run by you what I got for Issac to see if you think he would like it or if I should get him something else. I couldn't pass up the deal it was and I got him and Thomas the same thing. Darren says any little boy would like it (I don't know if he already told you what it was?) but I'm nervous about whether Issac will like it or not since he's really just more into video games.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search