And this is why the menu never works

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2007, 02:01 PM
Mom2Riley's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Mom2Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Mom2Riley
I have tried over and over to do the whole menu thing and shop accordingly but dh ALWAYS ruins it. Tonight was supposed to be my tuna casserole that he loves but he just told me that he doesn't want that. (btw he's crabby and said "at this point it doesn't matter", apparently it's a bad day at work) So I will have to make something else. This happens everytime I do the stinking menu...he never wants what is on there even if it's what he's pre-approved or something from another day. UGH...and men call us WOMEN complicated! I am tempted to just make the darned tuna casserole anyways and he can either eat it, make himself something else or starve! LOL!!
October 1st, 2007, 02:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I never tell DH what I'm making. I make it and he eats it (he knows better then to not eat it after I've spent time making it). If he ends up not wanting it he will eat a little bit of it and claim to be full, then make himself something else a few hours later.

He gets the leftovers until it's gone though.
October 1st, 2007, 02:12 PM
CBMS
Quote:
I never tell DH what I'm making. I make it and he eats it (he knows better then to not eat it after I've spent time making it). If he ends up not wanting it he will eat a little bit of it and claim to be full, then make himself something else a few hours later.[/b]
October 1st, 2007, 02:46 PM
Mom2Riley's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Mom2Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Mom2Riley
Okay, how in the world do you get away with NOT telling him what's for dinner? My dh will ask me all day long till he gets an answer then I tell him and it's not what he wants. Grr Dinner is a no-win situation over here at my place and Riley isn't even ol enough to eat table food just yet!
October 1st, 2007, 02:50 PM
cinfy's Avatar Cool Chick
I always hate when I work hard on dinner, and DH comes home and just kind of sighs when he hears what is for dinner. youknow, I worked hard on that dinner - so eat it and be quiet!

October 1st, 2007, 02:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
He isn't really picky and when he's hungry he'll eat just about anything. As long as he doesn't have to help make it he's ok with not getting a say.
October 1st, 2007, 03:05 PM
CBMS
When I get asked what's for dinner, I say "food."

what kind of food is often the next question. To that, I reply, "The kind you eat."

sometimes that's followed by, "what kind of food that we eat?" To which I say, "the good kind."

They know not to ask beyond that...

October 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH "hates tuna and won't eat it, never, uh-uh". So last night I made "casserole" a.k.a. "Tuna Helper". Guess who ate 2 servings AND said it was really good. Yep, DH.

DH and Ben bugged me the whole time I was cooking "what are we having". I just kept saying "casserole". They both groused a bit until it was served, then ate it up.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
October 1st, 2007, 03:25 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I just make something, and sometimes I tell him in advance, and sometimes I don't. He eats it and likes it, but he isn't a picky eater.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
October 1st, 2007, 03:35 PM
BoxerMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to BoxerMom
I used to ask Danny what he wanted for dinner and my response was always, "I don't know, why do you bother me at work with this stuff"...blah blah blah. So I stopped asking him. Sometimes he'll call when he's on his way home and say what's for dinner, and if it something he is not interested in, he'll say, "don't we have anything else". Nope, too bad, I gave you the opportunity to make suggestions, you could not be bothered, so, eat it or starve.

October 1st, 2007, 04:14 PM
asianmama
Quote:
When I get asked what's for dinner, I say "food."

what kind of food is often the next question. To that, I reply, "The kind you eat."

sometimes that's followed by, "what kind of food that we eat?" To which I say, "the good kind."

They know not to ask beyond that...

[/b]
thats hat stirling says alll the FREAKING time its annoying--- but he says the edible kind...
October 1st, 2007, 07:28 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I don't put up with that crap. I will cook dinner. You will eat it. If you choose not to eat it, you are more than welcome to any leftovers currently in the fridge, or a sandwich. You will NOT, and I do repeat NOT waste more of my food making something else simply because you feel like being a whiner. Any questions? I didn't think so. The end.

And that's how we roll around here.
October 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I can only make a few things that DH and Issac will eat. All I hear is whine, whine, whine... They change what they like all the time My DH will flat out say that he hates it, it's nasty...at times he will not even take a bite (jerk). DH snacks and I can't get him to stop. If he did not like what I cooked he will snack (gerr). I still have some control over Issac. I can make him eat, but it is a fight.

My menu is: hamburger helper, chicken helper, tuna helper, spaghetti, tacos, and pizza .

October 1st, 2007, 07:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's it? Oh yeah, I definately got the less picky one. Darren has never turned down anything I've made. Of course he knows it would be a long time before I made him anything else if he did.

You don't really have the option of doing that when you HAVE to make something for Issac though.
October 1st, 2007, 08:25 PM
CBMS
Quote:
I can only make a few things that DH and Issac will eat. All I hear is whine, whine, whine... They change what they like all the time My DH will flat out say that he hates it, it's nasty...at times he will not even take a bite (jerk). DH snacks and I can't get him to stop. If he did not like what I cooked he will snack (gerr). I still have some control over Issac. I can make him eat, but it is a fight.

My menu is: hamburger helper, chicken helper, tuna helper, spaghetti, tacos, and pizza .[/b]

Oh no no no. That's not how it works here. my husband has been told that he needs to just be thankful for what we do have (even when it's the cheap TVP--textured vegetable protein--instead of the juicy meat he likes) and eat, since he makes the kids eat. There was only one time he wouldn't eat--and the kids weren't here. He went hungry instead. Dork. We have a rule that I don't cook for everyone to turn their noses up at it. They learned their lesson when they did that once. I stopped cooking for like a week, and when they asked what was for dinner, I said, "I'm not cooking. I don't like having my food snubbed. Make a peanut butter sandwich if you want something." They learned quick that mommy doesn't fly that way. They WILL eat what mommy cooks, or they will not have food cooked for them. Period. And because it's my husband's rule that they have to have some of everything that I make, I make him live by the same rule. I look him square in the eye and say, "you have to eat some, or the kids don't, and that's all there is to that. You won't make a rule that you won't follow..."
October 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm actually the more picky one and I've been making myself eat more stuff that I would have snubbed before because I don't want to tell the baby when it gets a little bigger that he/she needs to eat their veggies when mommy isn't eating hers.
October 1st, 2007, 08:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have refused to cook before. I may just make Issac something. I will make something because I saw him eating it at someone else's house. Then I'll find out that he was only eating it to be polite, wish he could do that for me *sigh*. This is apart of the reason we go out to eat so much. I can't stand eating the same thing day after day.

He has no problem making Issac eat something, then refusing to eat it himself.

October 1st, 2007, 08:35 PM
gctattoo
DH never has a problem with what I cook. He's just happy to eat. If DH's kids don't want to eat what I cook (which hasn't happened yet), they can have cereal instead. I'm not about to cook something else just for them.
October 1st, 2007, 08:36 PM
CBMS
Quote:
He has no problem making Issac eat something, then refusing to eat it himself.[/b]

Oh no. The double standard will not fly with me. He's more of a child than the kids are. No way would I let him get away with that... no way. I would probably be a Mandi-like-girl for a while and kick his shins.

(I mean mine is more of a child than my kids are, btw).
October 1st, 2007, 08:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Aren't they ALL more of a child then the kids are?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search