article about coupons

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2007, 09:30 AM
gctattoo
Here's a link to an article about coupons. I especially love this quote:

Quote:
Coupon clipping is "inconvenient and it's hard to do," said Robert R. Higgins, executive director of the Center for Food Marketing, at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia. "I really see that diminishing."[/b]
Has anyone told him that he should use scissors instead of trying to chew the coupons out of the paper? Men are so funny with their "hard" tasks.
October 5th, 2007, 09:34 AM
CBMS
I can't see it "diminishing" in my family unless that guy is gonna start footing the full-price bill for my groceries.

Dork.
October 5th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy

goofy marketing men

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
October 5th, 2007, 10:02 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I want some of those billions of coupons not being used every year!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
October 5th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
me too beth

My Blog
October 5th, 2007, 10:09 AM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I really don't see coupon use diminishing. Esp not with this group!

October 5th, 2007, 10:18 AM
CBMS
Me three!

I know, Sonja... we'll be the ones that keep the coupons coming every Sunday.
October 5th, 2007, 12:31 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, my name's Kathryn and I'm addicted to coupons...

Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
October 5th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Stupid man!
October 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM
jenj_az's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good article! I am def. one of the millions not bothering to cash in.
<div align="center"><div align='center'> </div><div align="center"> </div><div align="center"></div><div align="center">♥ Jen ♥ Wife to my First Love 8.3.2005 ♥ Momma to Lyla 5.14.2007 ♥ and Baby Girl #2 EDD 9.9.2008 ♥</div></div>
October 5th, 2007, 09:19 PM
gctattoo
Quote:
Good article! I am def. one of the millions not bothering to cash in. [/b]
Then you need to start right away! I can send you an emergency start-up envelope o' coupons if you like. Just tell me what kinds of things you buy and I'll see what I have.
October 5th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy

I have tons of extra that need to go out soon, and then I got 2 trains today

My Blog
October 6th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Wow! Thanks! I am not even sure what I need right now. I am so bad about meal planning. I would hate for any of the coupons to go to waste. I just read the sample sticky and I think I need to re-read it again! We are used to eating a lot of convenience foods rather than cooking from scratch. It was hard for me as a first time mom when DD was tiny, but now she can entertain herself for longer periods of time. Do I start by overhauling what we eat, or do I start by looking for coupons/sales on the things we already eat?
<div align="center"><div align='center'> </div><div align="center"> </div><div align="center"></div><div align="center">♥ Jen ♥ Wife to my First Love 8.3.2005 ♥ Momma to Lyla 5.14.2007 ♥ and Baby Girl #2 EDD 9.9.2008 ♥</div></div>
October 6th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Wow! Thanks! I am not even sure what I need right now. I am so bad about meal planning. I would hate for any of the coupons to go to waste. I just read the sample sticky and I think I need to re-read it again! We are used to eating a lot of convenience foods rather than cooking from scratch. It was hard for me as a first time mom when DD was tiny, but now she can entertain herself for longer periods of time. Do I start by overhauling what we eat, or do I start by looking for coupons/sales on the things we already eat?[/b]
What are some of the things you typically buy? Are you brand loyal to things? If not, you can get a lot of cheap/free toiletries for sure(depending on your stores).
October 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I think you need to do a bit of both. Overhaul a bit what you eat, and use coupons for the rest (and the new things you'll eat!)
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
October 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Wow! Thanks! I am not even sure what I need right now. I am so bad about meal planning. I would hate for any of the coupons to go to waste. I just read the sample sticky and I think I need to re-read it again! We are used to eating a lot of convenience foods rather than cooking from scratch. It was hard for me as a first time mom when DD was tiny, but now she can entertain herself for longer periods of time. Do I start by overhauling what we eat, or do I start by looking for coupons/sales on the things we already eat?[/b]
What are some of the things you typically buy? Are you brand loyal to things? If not, you can get a lot of cheap/free toiletries for sure(depending on your stores).
[/b]
I guess I am not really brand loyal about much at all. I do use an organic version of things when I find them on sale. The embarrassing truth is that I don't really pay attention to what I buy, so I am not sure about the brands. Isn't that sad!!! I need to do a ton of stocking up on everything from toiletries to meat. The stores I can/do shop at are Safeway, Fry's, Basha's, Albertson's, Walmart, Sprouts, Walgreens, Target, CVS, and Costco. I don't think I am leaving anything out. They are all within about 5 minutes from the house!

Oh, one thing I gotta have is hidden valley ranch! lol no other ranch will do!

I am getting really excited about this! I was telling DH all about how I am going to slash our grocery bill!
October 6th, 2007, 03:05 PM
tonyarn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is really interesting, it seems to me like coupon usage is increasing...although it may be just that I tend to talk to coupon using people (on this board and HCW) and I am more aware of it.

Benjamin 2/2/09

***site contains pictures***
I have 3 angels waiting for me in heaven.
October 6th, 2007, 03:05 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
I guess I am not really brand loyal about much at all. I do use an organic version of things when I find them on sale. The embarrassing truth is that I don't really pay attention to what I buy, so I am not sure about the brands. Isn't that sad!!! I need to do a ton of stocking up on everything from toiletries to meat. The stores I can/do shop at are Safeway, Fry's, Basha's, Albertson's, Walmart, Sprouts, Walgreens, Target, CVS, and Costco. I don't think I am leaving anything out. They are all within about 5 minutes from the house!

Oh, one thing I gotta have is hidden valley ranch! lol no other ranch will do!

I am getting really excited about this! I was telling DH all about how I am going to slash our grocery bill!
[/b]
You have a great bunch of stores!!! You'll be saving money in no time. Are ads delivered to your home each week? Since all the stores are so close to your home, it won't really cost any money in gas to go from store to store buying up each weeks sales items.

Oh, and shhh....don't tell dh, stash the money away in your own personal savings account, lol. Imagine surprising him at the end of the year with a vacation or something!

October 6th, 2007, 08:42 PM
CBMS
Quote:
I think you need to do a bit of both. Overhaul a bit what you eat, and use coupons for the rest (and the new things you'll eat!)[/b]

Particularly since you aren't brand loyal to a lot.

Scour the ads and compare coupons and start with that. Then join the train, look up printables, find the good comparison (we'll match up coupies and ads a lot on here), and you'll be saving a ton in no time!!
October 7th, 2007, 07:09 AM
donomama
Before I started couponing, I was a little naive about just how much you could save. I didn't really know how to work the system, KWIM? I thought it was a big waste of time to spend $1.50 on a Sunday paper and then save maybe a dollar or so with various coupons. I was so wrong! I just didn't get it. Last month, I saved just shy of $1,000 in coupons and specials at the store. Coupons are soooo worth the extra time and effort, and anyone who says otherwise doesn't know how to do it right!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search