AUUUUGH! Wisdom teeth!

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2007, 03:34 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went to the dentist today to get my teeth cleaned and have my wisdom teeth looked at. I'm 26, and I have one wisdom tooth totally in, one partially in and two that are not in. I told the dentist I'd be TTC in a month and what did he think about them. He's recommending that I go ahead and take out the two that are in, and wait on the other two until they actually come in (since it's more traumatic and painful to take them out when they are impacted).

I think a big part of the reason is because if I get pregnant and they start giving me trouble, it's going to be a heck of a lot harder to treat me. I HATE dental work with a passion. He said I could have them all out at one time with an oral surgeon but that makes me nervous because one of the impacted ones is against a bone.

I made an appointment for next Friday for him to pull the two that are in. He gave me a Valium to take beforehand. I think Dh doesn't want me to do it though. I think he wants me to wait and have them all out at once because it is such a pain to heal afterwards. But I'm thinking...he'll pull two on my left side. I'll still have the right side of my mouth function normally.

Which brings me to the part where I get on topic. I will be on a liquid day for a couple days if I have them out. I am trying to gain weight right now. I went from 112 lb to 106 lb in the past year and I want those 6 lb back.
I was thinking about buying some Boost and I noticed next week at CVS, they have buy $20, get $5 ECB. I think I have one $2 off Boost coupon, I'll have to look for more and see if I have any more. Is this is pretty good deal for Boost? Do you think the Boost will help me gain weight or at least not loose weight if I have to be on a liquid diet for a bit? Any other suggestions?

Should I bite the bullet and get the teeth out? I'm such a baby when it comes to dental work, but I'm trying to muster up my courage and tell myself that it would be one more thing I could do to prepare for a baby.

October 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM
asianmama
boost, pedisure drinks,ensure these should all help u game weight
i know 20 dollars for boast here is a 6 or 8 pack... they are really spendy here...
October 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM
gctattoo
I've used Boost in the past as a supplement when I was working and didn't have time to eat. It should help you maintain your weight. The average price for a 6 pack is around $8 here. Look in the aisle for a blinkie coupon thing; I've gotten many Boost coupons from those recently.

I think you might as well get the teeth out. I still have mine, some impacted and some partially in. They bother me from time to time but I have no insurance so there they stay. I think it'll be one more thing you're able to get done in anticipation of another pregnancy.
October 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM
jenj_az's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not sure about the boost, but I wanted to weigh in on your teeth.

I would go ahead and get the two out. I have my wisdom teeth and I passed on removing them a few years ago because I am a chicken. They started to hurt when I was preggo! And I just had to deal with the pain. They settled down for a while, but they are bothering me again now. I still can't get them removed because I am nursing and it would be a huge ordeal. Get them out while you still can!

Good luck!
<div align="center"><div align='center'> </div><div align="center"> </div><div align="center"></div><div align="center">♥ Jen ♥ Wife to my First Love 8.3.2005 ♥ Momma to Lyla 5.14.2007 ♥ and Baby Girl #2 EDD 9.9.2008 ♥</div></div>
October 5th, 2007, 06:10 PM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not sure about the boost either.

I had all of my wisdom teeth done at once a couple of months ago. I had problems off and on with them for several years. Then all of a sudden one started bothering me and it was one that was partially erupted. I am not going to go into detail with mine because it was a holy nightmare. But I can tell you that if I had done 2 at a time I would have never had the others done. Mine were extremely impacted and I had a lot of pain afterwards. I would not have gone through that twice. But don't let that scare you because I am the exception. The oral surgeon said that my teeth were some of the worst that he had ever seen.

October 5th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had my impacted ones remonved when I was 16 (there was absolutely no room for them!) I didn't have to be on liquid for days...I was eating soft things that same afternoon, playing my saxophone for band camp the next week! Even so, I would get them all done at once.
October 5th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Quote:
I had my impacted ones remonved when I was 16 (there was absolutely no room for them!) I didn't have to be on liquid for days...I was eating soft things that same afternoon, playing my saxophone for band camp the next week! Even so, I would get them all done at once.[/b]
Proof that the younger that you have them done, the better.

October 6th, 2007, 10:43 AM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Send a message via AIM to LindseyMarie
I SO know how you feel.

Mine are impacted, and I don't have any room at all for them. I have to have them removed by the oral surgeon. I am so scared. Never had a big surgery before! I have the referrals and my xrays on my counter, I've been ignoring them for about a month now.....

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and get it done too.... But getting 4 impacted teeth removed is going to be a pretty penny..... I don't think my insurance covers the whole thing. Blegh.

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

October 6th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I SO know how you feel.

Mine are impacted, and I don't have any room at all for them. I have to have them removed by the oral surgeon. I am so scared. Never had a big surgery before! I have the referrals and my xrays on my counter, I've been ignoring them for about a month now.....

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and get it done too.... But getting 4 impacted teeth removed is going to be a pretty penny..... I don't think my insurance covers the whole thing. Blegh.[/b]
Another good thing about having them done early...parents footed the bill!
October 6th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Maybe I'll bite the bullet and get it done too.... But getting 4 impacted teeth removed is going to be a pretty penny..... I don't think my insurance covers the whole thing. Blegh.[/b]

Check with your health insurance too. My health insurance covered mine 100% (well with copays) because mine were boney impacted. I only had to pay $100 in copays. Whereas my dental insurance only covered 60%.

October 6th, 2007, 09:03 PM
CBMS
Quote:
I am not sure about the boost, but I wanted to weigh in on your teeth.

I would go ahead and get the two out. I have my wisdom teeth and I passed on removing them a few years ago because I am a chicken. They started to hurt when I was preggo! And I just had to deal with the pain. They settled down for a while, but they are bothering me again now. I still can't get them removed because I am nursing and it would be a huge ordeal. Get them out while you still can!

Good luck![/b]
Why can't you get them because you're nursing? I had a tooth pulled when Maddie was six weeks. I am in need of having my last wisdom tooth taken out, too. I had two taken out at once a couple years back, and I was back to work the next day. No biggie really. If they hurt bad enough, it's a RELIEF to get them freakin' GONE!!! I really need this last one pulled, but we don't have the money for it. It throbs all day every day. Some things I eat make it worse... the midwife said it's fine for me to get it pulled, but unfortunately, she doesn't know the financial situation surrounding it.

booooo for not having enough money to get teeth out.

As for you, Shannon--wisdom teeth almost always end up being a problem, so I'd go ahead and have the ones that are through taken out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search