Christmas is annoying!

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Mom2Riley's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Mom2Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Mom2Riley
I might as well give up the fight with dh's family. For four years now I have been trying to get them to draw names for gift giving to save us all some money but they will not have it. I have no idea why, it's so frustrating. We've got to buy for 6 kids that range in age from 4 to 20 (and I think the 20 yo should be knocked off the list!! So now I have to rack my brain thinking of what to get everyone! Got any frugal ideas?
October 7th, 2007, 05:32 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Nothing. You don't *have* to go along with something you cannot afford to simply because the rest of the people are apparently too cashed up to be rational.

Or, a card ... some baked goods ... a lotto ticket ...
October 7th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Candicemomof4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I might as well give up the fight with dh's family. For four years now I have been trying to get them to draw names for gift giving to save us all some money but they will not have it. I have no idea why, it's so frustrating. We've got to buy for 6 kids that range in age from 4 to 20 (and I think the 20 yo should be knocked off the list!! So now I have to rack my brain thinking of what to get everyone! Got any frugal ideas?[/b]

I agree 18 or older gets knocked off the list...at least in my family....I have 13 nieces and nephews plus 3 soon to be 4 of my own and I can't afford to buy for them all individually.....5 of them..all boys...are all from the same family and since they have everything material you can imagine I usually use my coupons and fill a huge basket(wicker laundry basket 1.99 at AC moore) with Soda, chips, cookies, candy, gum etc....It looks like I spent 150.00 retail but really it only costs me a few dollars...and the kiddos are thrilled because their Mom and Dad don't buy those kinds of things(they don't keep the house full of groceries but the kids have the latest video game ) The others I shop for on clearance...I get tons that way for almost nothing I start now and then I am ready in December...Or McD's gift cards go along way.....We don't draw names either I don't know why....but no one will agree to it.

Candice mom of 4

October 7th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If they don't want to draw then don't feel obligated to spend more than you can. Clearance is a great way to go, so are gift baskets! What are their ages/genders? I'm sure you could put together some nice gift baskets for them that look a lot more expensive than they actually are.
October 7th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Mom2Riley's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Mom2Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Mom2Riley
Quote:
If they don't want to draw then don't feel obligated to spend more than you can. Clearance is a great way to go, so are gift baskets! What are their ages/genders? I'm sure you could put together some nice gift baskets for them that look a lot more expensive than they actually are.[/b]
Boys- 2,8,13,20
Girls-6,15

I was thinking maybe some sort of winter survival dealy. Fill a basket or something with chapstick, gloves, packets of hot cocoa...I was really wanting to use those paint cans and decorate them but I have no idea where to get craft paint cans!? Would this be a good idea? If so, got any other ideas what else I could put in there?
October 7th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's really a bummer about feeling obligated to buy.

We are lucky and only buy for our parents and siblings (there are no other kids though). From the get go with our son I told my sisters they didn't need to buy anything/spend a lot for him since he's the only nephew. My mom has several siblings (and the age range is 23 years) so they never bught for nieces and nephewsa and that always worked out fine, so that's what I tried telling my sisters, but they love to buy him things! Not necesarily expensive things, but still something. We talked about drawing names between my sisters, but decided against it. We don't do any other gifts (birthday) during the year, so it's not that bad.

Are any of the kids in the same family? You could do a board games basket with some goodies in it or a movie basket with goodies. Are there any museums, zoos, etc in your area? You could get them a family pass depending on the price? or make your own certificate for a day trip there at a later time.

I def think 20 is way too old! We had a problem with getting my grandma to stop with the gifts (again, nothing much by that age, but still!) We told her to stop at 18 (with such a large age span for her kids, the grandkids are really spread too!). Wetold her the others may not get gifts to age 18, so she doesn't need to keep getting them for us. Well, she kept going. Then we told her 20, she kept going. I think she finally quit at 22 (out of college!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search