Frugal Landscaping

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to GinaOfAllTrades
I started to landscape my yard finally. Here are the before and after photos (below will be the savings )

Before

After

OOP: $0

Thanks to MyPoints I was able to buy $48.52 worth of mulch.
It is not groceries but I am excited that I finally was able to do it and my yard looks 10X better.
October 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I need to try and do something with the tiny front yard we have. Good job.
October 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM
gctattoo
Oh, yeah! I DO see the difference it makes. I think it makes the yard look cozy and more homey. And you gotta love free mulch.
October 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Cool! I bet it was a good workout too!
October 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
Score on the freebies!

My one and only frugal landscaping idea is to shop for flowers right now. I know it sounds crazy, but you can get them on super clearance, don't worry about them looking pretty now. Just look for hardy bulb based plants that will survive well through the winter. Then, they'll come up in the spring like magic for nearly nothing. B)

The yard looks fantastic, btw!
October 9th, 2007, 07:47 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Yay!!!!! Can't beat free!!!

October 10th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Cool! I bet it was a good workout too![/b]
That it was, I am feeling it this morning

Quote:
Score on the freebies!

My one and only frugal landscaping idea is to shop for flowers right now. I know it sounds crazy, but you can get them on super clearance, don't worry about them looking pretty now. Just look for hardy bulb based plants that will survive well through the winter. Then, they'll come up in the spring like magic for nearly nothing. B)

The yard looks fantastic, btw![/b]
I never thought of that. Thanks that is a great idea.
October 10th, 2007, 05:55 AM
CBMS
Nice yard!

My husband does all the yard stuff... I kill plants. My peppers are the only thing I've ever grown successfully, and I'm sure they would not have survived if he hadn't been out watering his plants and watered those as well. LOL
October 10th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Nice yard!

My husband does all the yard stuff... I kill plants. My peppers are the only thing I've ever grown successfully, and I'm sure they would not have survived if he hadn't been out watering his plants and watered those as well. LOL[/b]
I am going to try the whole garden thing. I have a greenhouse that was here when we bought the house that I have never used. So that is my next project. I just need to clean it up first.

What kind of peppers do you grow? I want to do both bell peppers and jalapeno.
October 10th, 2007, 06:25 AM
CBMS
I was too <strike>cheap</strike>... er... frugal to buy a bell pepper to grow. I got a cheap red frying pepper, dried the seeds, and then germinated them in a moist paper towel. We planted the sprouts, and they've done great ever since. I think the pepper cost me like .20, and it's produced lots of offspring! The top soil was the cheap 1.00 stuff, so that didn't cost much. I think I'll splurge for the bell next time--even though they're a lot more money... getting this many peppers out of the one make up for getting a more costly pepper to start with.

The only thing that you need to be aware of (I wasn't--my grandmother told me!!) is that you have to buy a red pepper. Green peppers are red peppers that aren't fully matured! I had no idea... but because of that, they don't have mature seeds that can produce.
October 10th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I did not know that either. Thanks again for the info. I am going to see if MyPoints will pay for my garden stuff too I love that site.
October 10th, 2007, 07:06 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
What about yellow bells? I love those. I want to grow bell peppers when we move. I think I might buy a packet of seeds though, since i'm a novice.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
October 10th, 2007, 11:27 AM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Send a message via AIM to LindseyMarie
My frugal landscaping? don't have a yard. hah. We rent an appt so we're kinda stuck. I do have a few dead potted plants outside though. Maybe I should get a big ppot and put some pretty flowers in it....something!

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search