Thanksgiving

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2007, 06:30 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year. Any good tips to keep it as frugal as possible?

October 10th, 2007, 06:35 AM
CBMS
Buy your turkey after it goes on a MAD sale! If you have a store that gives one away, wait for that. Generally, it's a buy $____ groceries, get a free turkey. Well, that amount is PRE COUPONS, so you can use crazy coupons and reduce the price by a LOT, and then have your free bird to boot! woot!!

Aside from that, just use coupons, coupons, coupons for everything you buy to serve. I hosted Thanksgiving only once... I waited until the bird was on sale for .58/lb. and got cheapie produce at SAL and used my cheapie frozen veggies, etc.

OH! do you make bread? The skillet bread works out as as a nice dinner roll if you put them on a cookie sheet and let them rise, and then bake them instead of fry them. That'd be a cheaper way to go (esp. if made with water instead of milk, sugar instead of honey).
October 10th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't really have any tips as I am lucky enough to have a mom, MIL and grandma who still like to have the holiday meals! Good luck though!
October 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
1. Let people help. When you call to tell them when to be there, they will ask what they can bring. Don't say, "Oh, nothing, thanks." like you want to. Let them bring a dish ... just give them direction so they don't all bring dessert.

2. Make dishes that go a long, long way ... green bean casserole, scalloped corn (cream corn and crackers ... plus an oven), potatoes from scratch once the potatoes go on sale, etc.

3. Don't worry too much about things being perfect. Use a ton of coupons, make whatever works between sales and coupies, and for sure try to get freebies when you can. I know our grocery store does the reverse of Kim's ... buy a turkey, get this list of items free, which is just as cool in my book. And, invest a couple dollars in paper plates ... it's easier for everyone.
October 10th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
amen to all of those things, especially the paper goods. It makes things much more enjoyable

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
October 10th, 2007, 08:38 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Oh I'm totally doing paper plates. I'll get nice ones that are for Thanksgiving or fall. We don't have a dishwasher and I DON'T do dishes! LOL! DH does the dishes but I don't want to add all of that to the amount that will already be dirty from cooking.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search