Ideals for freezing potatoes

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
Ok, I got an 80 lb bag of NICE looking potatoes for $6 at a tent sale at Hy-Vee... I'm going to be storing them in a big rubbermaid tub in the basement (cool, dark) but I'd like some ideas for things to make with potatoes that can be frozen! Can you freeze mashed potatoes? Other ideas?

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
October 10th, 2007, 05:25 PM
CBMS
you can freeze mashed potatoes fine. You could also make pierogies (sp?) and freeze those... you can do different flavors of mashed potatoes, also. Try some garlic, some sour cream and chives, etc... they store in bags so they don't take tons of space, too.

You can also just braise some potatoes with onions and freeze those...

that's all I got...
October 10th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've frozen mashed potates before, but that's about the only kind we make/eat.
October 11th, 2007, 11:37 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
A Rubbermaid tub is probably a bad plan for potato storage in the long term. Something that is made of natural materal, and as such breathable, is probably better. Cardboard box, bushel baskets, etc will allow air in and out which prevents the ever scary mold problem that you'll get if you lock them up in a plastic box. Also, when putting them into the breathable container, layer them with newspaper ... like one layer of potatoes, one of newspaper, one of potatoes, one of newspaper. That helps keep the potatoes from cross germinating each other, absorbs some of the moisture in the short term until the paper dries out again, and keeps them nice and cozy. You can keep potatoes like that for a long, long, long time if they're in a cool (not cold) dark (not dank) place. HTH ...

Also, you can freeze just about any potato application, just don't cook the ones you're freezing all the way unless you want them to be mashed potatoes when they come out.
October 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You could also cut them into homemade french fries, make some potato chips, hash browns... Yeah, I'm not very creative in the kitchen. That's all I can think of.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
October 11th, 2007, 12:41 PM
dzine21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We slice potatoes thin and grill them all the time. You can add onions and seasonings. You could already have them ready for that. Just take them out and place in foil and grill or skillet.

Also get all the "dry" ingredients together for potato salad. Take it out and add the mayo/mustard.

Hash browns/small cubes are yummy too instead of store bought.

ETA: I just read on HWC that potatoes should be cooked before freezing them. They will turn black and brown if not slightly cooked.

</div>
October 11th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
A Rubbermaid tub is probably a bad plan for potato storage in the long term. Something that is made of natural materal, and as such breathable, is probably better. Cardboard box, bushel baskets, etc will allow air in and out which prevents the ever scary mold problem that you'll get if you lock them up in a plastic box. Also, when putting them into the breathable container, layer them with newspaper ... like one layer of potatoes, one of newspaper, one of potatoes, one of newspaper. That helps keep the potatoes from cross germinating each other, absorbs some of the moisture in the short term until the paper dries out again, and keeps them nice and cozy. You can keep potatoes like that for a long, long, long time if they're in a cool (not cold) dark (not dank) place. HTH ...

Also, you can freeze just about any potato application, just don't cook the ones you're freezing all the way unless you want them to be mashed potatoes when they come out.[/b]
For some reason I was thinking about this today. I agree about not using a rubbermaid container. I was thinking that the potatoes have some moisture in them and will probably mold/go rotten if kept in a sealed container. Ever notice that potato bags have small holes in them?
October 11th, 2007, 11:58 PM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
Good point .... I was thinking because our basement has dirt floors/walls ...that I'd be keeping moisture out ... but maybe I need to find a new place for them

Great ideas ladies (or ideals ....as I noticed I typed in the subject line ) .... many are foods we already eat and I hadn't thought of doing some of it and freezing them too! YAY

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search