Stupid power outage

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2007, 03:33 PM
donomama
Last night our power went out, and was still out until about noon today. All the food in our refrigerator went bad. Luckily, our frozen stuff is ok, but I had to throw out tons of stuff. I am so mad!
October 10th, 2007, 03:35 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ACK! I've been scared of this happening since I really got our freezer well stocked. That has to suck!
Our fridge died a while back and we lost everything in it and the freezer above it. Fortunately that was before I started super stocking it.
October 10th, 2007, 03:37 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
yuck!! My friend has a generator on her freezer for power outages.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
October 10th, 2007, 03:40 PM
donomama
I read the guidelines for power outages, and apparently frozen food is good for up to 48 hours if you don't open the door. Refrigerated stuff can go bad in as little as 4 hours. The fuller your freezer is, the better because the frozen stuff will keep the rest of it cold too.
October 10th, 2007, 03:49 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well then I should be good to go for a couple days if the power goes out because my freezer is PACKED!
October 10th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Every time I put stuff in the freezer I fear an outage.

Sorry for the refrig. stuff!
October 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM
CBMS

Oh my goodness!!

I'd send the power company a bill.
October 10th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That stinks. Did we have a storm last night that I missed?
October 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM
gctattoo
That stinks. I'm sorry about you losing all that food.
October 10th, 2007, 08:13 PM
donomama
Quote:
That stinks. Did we have a storm last night that I missed?[/b]

No, it was the strangest thing. Last night, I was watching The Biggest Loser, and I heard this really loud BANG outside. It seriously sounded like someone shot a gun off right on my front porch. Then the power immediately went out. Dominion Power has been outside all day working on it. They even had a backhoe and were digging around, so I'm thinking it's something serious. It's been over 24 hours and they're still out there. At least I have my power back!
October 10th, 2007, 08:32 PM
CBMS
The transformer makes a boom if it goes...but it shouldn't take that long for a transformer!

We had some wonky power stuff going on for a couple days, but it didn't stay out longer than 45 minutes or so any of the times it went. Thank goodness. I was seriously getting ready to invoice all the stuff that was going to spoil and send them a bill. I pay for reliability, darn it. I bill if my food spoils because it's not reliable service!
October 10th, 2007, 08:37 PM
donomama
Well, I'm going to take a lesson from this lady next time I'm unhappy with a service:

http://www.insidenova.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1173353015622

Did you guys here about this lady?
October 10th, 2007, 08:42 PM
CBMS
That would have made me mad too!

I hate the cable company... don't get me started on the cable company.
October 11th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy

my cable company sucks

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
October 11th, 2007, 08:25 AM
soninole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry that you lost your refridgerated foods.

And don't get me going on comcast. I have to call them every 2 weeks to complain about something stupid that they have done or their stupid equipment acting up. Let me just say, I HATE COMCAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok, i feel better.

October 11th, 2007, 11:23 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
1. Losing fridge food sucks. I would totally invoice as well.

2. This is the one time when my DH's nerdiness is a lifesaver. If the power went out and stayed out for more than 30 minutes, we'd have a generator (they're stored at his mom's) here before anything went bad. We have a plan for outages. I have to wrap the freezers in jumbo blankets to keep the frozen in, etc etc. We wouldn't have any TV to watch, but the food would stay cold.

3. I also hate Comcast.

4. However, we no longer have them because there's a different service in the area the new house is in, and they're awful enough that I WISH I had Comcast back. That, is sad. We can't even get satelite because of the trees. So, I'm stuck with stupid Charter, the evil awful cable company.

5. And, finally ... whenever my cable goes out, we start a stop watch. Over the course of the month, we track when it's out, and for how long. Then, I include that invoice, and deduct the amount from my bill. I am NOT paying for service that was not avaiable, ya know?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search