Ground Turkey

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2007, 03:41 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know lots of you buy ground turkey in chubs. What do you use it for?
In general, I mainly like to use it for turkey burgers. We do more chicken than anything, and the times something does call for hamburger, I usually would rather have hamburger than turkey in it.
I made veggie soup today and decided that ground turkey would be fine in it. Boy was I wrong! The turkey would like practically disentigrate (sp?) in your mouth when you would take a bite. It was really weird. It just totally ruined it for me. Now I have to throw away the whole pot because it was so nasty. I maybe only had like 4 bucks or so in the whole thing, but it would have made at least three meals, so it's aggravating!
Has anyone else ever come across something like this.
October 10th, 2007, 03:42 PM
donomama
That's never happened to me. I usually use ground turkey for tacos. I really can't tell the difference because it's so heavily seasoned. DH swears he can, but I don't think he really can, he just likes to complain.
October 10th, 2007, 03:44 PM
CBMS
I use it instead of hamburger for virtually everything. I don't buy ground beef anymore. Ever.

I use it in chili, meatballs, hamburger soup, hamburger helper, etc, etc... everything that I'd normally put beef in, I use a turkey chub instead. It turns out great for me...
October 10th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I used it in tacos once (I knew I had used it in something and couldn't think of what it was!) and it was fine. Not sure what happened today.

Well, I am so disappointed!!! The turkey smelled and looked fine, so I know nothing was wrong with it. When I was browning it, I salted it and then put some hot sauce on it too because I like for my soup to have a little kick. Do you think that would have done something to it. It has finally turned off cool here and I really wanted soup today! Maybe I'll go make potato soup or chicken and dumplins for supper. I don't really feel like all that work though! Maybe I'll make white chili...it's pretty easy.
October 10th, 2007, 04:05 PM
lillermom99's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use mostly ground turkey for just about everything I would use ground beef for. I use it a lot in meatloaf and really like the flavor. I use it for tacos, meat sauce, meatballs, chili, and "beef" stroganoff!

Try it again in something other than soup and maybe it will work out better!

October 10th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've never used ground turkey before...I like regular turkey for Thanksgiving with all the other great stuff...stuffing...mashed potatoes...corn, etc!
October 10th, 2007, 05:53 PM
gctattoo
I tried using turkey in spaghetti and I didn't like it-- the texture was weird and it tasted funny. I love turkey deli meat and carved turkey but it didn't taste good to me at all in place of hamburger.
October 10th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I use turkey now for everything that I once used ground beef for. I have never tried it in soup though, so I can't give you any personal experiences there.

October 10th, 2007, 08:21 PM
donomama
I've actually used it in hamburger soup before and it turned out just fine.
October 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM
CBMS
Quote:
I've actually used it in hamburger soup before and it turned out just fine.[/b]

I make hamburger soup with it all the time, too.

I usually just brown it with onion, though--no seasonings or any sauces in it until after I've added broth...
October 10th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I wonder if the hot sauce in it would have done something to it. Maybe I'll try it again sometime. I was thinking and I've used it in Manwich before, and that turned out fine, too.
October 11th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We use turkey for everything too. Well most everything, we still use hamburger for something, that hubby isnt ready to switch yet

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
October 11th, 2007, 06:38 AM
CBMS
I switched without even telling my husband. The only times he even notices that it's turkey is when it's the turkey I ground myself, and that's because it's all white, no skin, and it cooks up pretty light. When he found out the other day that he hasn't had ground BEEF in over a year, I thought he was going to have a heart attack. I'd been buying those turkey chubs at SAL--I can't get ground beef for that price--so that's what I'd been using. He didn't have a stinkin' clue...
October 11th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
we do meatloaf alot, and he would notice then.

and i still put hamburger in our cincinnati chili.

other than that everything is still turkey. and he's the one that takes it out of the freezer so he has to know

My Blog
October 11th, 2007, 07:18 AM
CBMS
Quote:
we do meatloaf alot, and he would notice then.

and i still put hamburger in our cincinnati chili.

other than that everything is still turkey. and he's the one that takes it out of the freezer so he has to know[/b]

yeah... my husband doesn't mess with my kitchen. He comes in to get a drink, and then he has to get the heck out. lol
October 11th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I love that he helps in the kitchen. Its a bonding time that we enjoy

My Blog
October 11th, 2007, 08:40 AM
CBMS
Quote:
I love that he helps in the kitchen. Its a bonding time that we enjoy[/b]
The only time I love when Scott ventures into the kitchen is when I go to do something right after dinner and come home to find he's done the clean up. I think it's happened like half a dozen times since we've been together... It's nice when it does happen, though, rare as it is.
October 11th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I love that too.

B did that for me on sunday while i was shopping. I came home and the living room and bathroom were spotless

My Blog
October 11th, 2007, 11:28 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I'm with you, Kim. Nothing says I love you like a clean kitchen that got that way without me. Ben knows that, but it apparently doesn't encouarge him to do it more than once a year. He's vacuuming right now, for no good reason, even though we have people coming over tonight, and dishes in the sink.

My boys (Benji and Adam) would totally know if I swtiched to turkey. I used turkey bacon in a casserole the other day, and they claimed it tasted "too much like bacon, so it must be fake". It's a texture thing, I think. They miss the gristly red meat parts.
October 11th, 2007, 11:56 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
mmmm.... bacon.... *droool* that sounds so good right now.

I'm partial to my beef... I may try Turkey though.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search