Question about WIC

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Jennifer707's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Jennifer707
If I have a voucher for 2 boxes of cereal and a store has them on sale BOGO....how would that work????

December 12th, 2007, 08:27 AM
gctattoo
You should get two for the WIC voucher and then two for free. The store is giving you a bonus box when you buy one. As long as you are fulfilling your WIC obligation of two boxes, the other two boxes are a store bonus. Kim does it with WIC cheese all the time.

Did you know that you can also use coupons with WIC? It doesn't affect your OOP since you're not paying anything for WIC anyway. But it does kick back a little money into the WIC program to lighten the load a bit. That could make a difference with the amount of products those on WIC are able to get on their vouchers.
December 12th, 2007, 10:38 AM
CBMS

WIC will only PAY for a certain amount, but you are entitled to all the same sales as "regular" customers. Therefore, you get a bonus on BOGO sales! Just yesterday I got 4 lbs. of cheese on my Maddie's 2 lbs. check. woot! Gotta love BOGOs.

Quote:
Can WIC customers get an item free if they are using a buy one get one free coupon?
Yes they can. If the offer relates to a product a WIC customer can purchase with his or her voucher, then you must allow the WIC participant to use the coupon too. Please note that the “free” item will be given in addition to the other products on the voucher. For instance, if a WIC customer has a coupon for “Buy one 18 ounce box of Cheerios, get a second 18 ounce box of Cheerios free”, and a voucher listing 36 ounces, he or she could purchase a total of 54 ounces of cereal (36 ounces, which includes an 18 ounce box of Cheerios) and then the free 18 ounce box of Cheerios.[/b]
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/fh/wic/.../faqs.html#free

Quote:
• Cashiers must honor all store or manufacturer
promotions such as buy one, get one free; buy one,
get one at a reduced price; free ounces added by the
manufacturer; manufacturer cents-off coupons; and
store savings card or customer reward card presented
by the WIC customer. If a cents-off coupon makes a
product the least expensive brand of milk, eggs, or
frozen juice, the WIC customer may choose that brand.[/b]
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/family/wic/Docu...oods_eng_07.pdf

Quote:
(1) A WIC customer presents a manufacturer’s coupon for $.50 cents off a jar of ABC peanut butter. If peanut butter is listed on his/her voucher, and she is purchasing ABC brand peanut butter, the cost of the voucher will be reduced by $.50.
(2) A WIC customer presents a buy-one-get-one-free coupon for a box of KIX cereal with her/his voucher. He/she may receive the second box of cereal free. The free box would not count against the 36 ounce maximum quantity of cereal listed on the voucher.
(3) A WIC customer presents a buy-one-gallon-of-milk-get-a-dozen-eggs-free store coupon with his/her voucher, which lists milk. The customer should receive a dozen eggs. The eggs will not count against any eggs listed on the voucher.[/b]
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/fh/wic/...ers/03_2007.pdf

There's just a few examples of the law... and they are "as per federal regulations" since WIC is a federal program. The federal government says it's a bonus!

I always use coupons that I have available for my WIC. Like juice--I never buy my own juice. I get so much on WIC that I don't need it (except the occastional fruit/veggies ones that are not covered on WIC). I use all my juice coupons with WIC. Same for cereal. When I *buy* cereal, it's always the kid cereals that my kids want, so if I get special K, cream of wheat, stuff like that... then I use it for WIC purchases. Same for cheese. I don't buy cheese. When the kraft coupons come out, I use them for my WIC. That makes it so they can help more moms and kids. I'm careful with my own money--why not theirs?

And I intentionally hold onto my bigger checks (cereal, cheese) waiting for a good BOGO on my WIC items. Usually works out for me.

December 12th, 2007, 11:12 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Thanks for those links Kim. I intend to print those out and bring them with me next time I go cash my checks. I tried doing it with the cheese before and was told that I could only get the 16oz of cheese even though it was b1g1.

December 12th, 2007, 01:03 PM
CBMS
Quote:
Thanks for those links Kim. I intend to print those out and bring them with me next time I go cash my checks. I tried doing it with the cheese before and was told that I could only get the 16oz of cheese even though it was b1g1.[/b]

If I were you, I'd report them!! I report people for WIC violations all the time. This one lady handed me the check to sign before she even started ringing things, and I was like, "um... I can't sign that until you put the purchase price in at the very end." She got snotty and said, "I can't ring it UP until you sign it." I was like, "well, I want a manager, because right here on the envelope, it tells us the procedure that must be followed, and you aren't following it." She changed her tune. Surprise, surprise. I also report them if they hassle me on using coupons for WIC. Some lady got pissed and said it was a double waste of her time--first WIC and then coupons! I was like, "I'm careful with my dollars AND my tax dollars. Thanks." Stupid hookers...
December 12th, 2007, 01:10 PM
CBMS
Quote:
WIC customers must be allowed to participate in manufacturer and store promotions and specials.
However, stores are not allowed to offer incentives or promotional items or services specifically
for WIC customers or to encourage WIC participants to shop in a particular store. Prohibited
incentives include raffles, free food or non-food items, grocery delivery, or customer transportation.
The following are examples of promotions and specials WIC customers are allowed to
participate in:
• Buy one, get one free
• Buy one, get one at a reduced price
• Free ounces added by the manufacturer
• Manufacturer or store cents-off coupons
• Store “savings” card or “customer reward” card
The extra food items and product amounts obtained from promotions and specials do not count
toward the number of food items or the ounce limits specified on a WIC check.[/b]
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Family/wic/Docu...th_addendum.pdf

this one is even more specific. It clearly states that the extras are NOT counted toward the totals.
December 12th, 2007, 01:24 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Thanks!!! I should have reported them but that was awhile ago. I will use coupons for WIC too and the cashiers give me crazy looks. I don't usually use them on the cereals because I save my cereal ones to buy the cereals that WIC doesn't cover but that Alexis likes. Cereal is another thing we go trough TONS of...especially now that I am babysitting.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search