Food weakness?

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Is there a certain food item that you buy that isn't always the most frugal?

For me it would be fruit for the kiddo. He would eat it and only it for every meal if I let him! I do buy what is on sale, but in the past 3 days I have bought 5 containers of blueberries! And even on sale blueberries are expensive! $1.88 for a 4.4 oz container! He LOVES them and tonight when I told him they were gone, he says: Momma, you go buy more please? Of course, then I had to! I also bought cantaloupe today for 2.99-which just stinks bc in the summer I can get it for a buck!
December 15th, 2007, 04:48 PM
lillermom99's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am with you on the fresh produce! I dont usually stay frugal in this area because I think it is super important to eat fruit and veggies. I do however make sure to buy what is on sale though. The other area that DH will not let me be frugal about is Bryers ice cream. He must have his half gallon a week. I go bonkers when it is on sale and stock the freezer!

December 15th, 2007, 04:55 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I have a really hard time not spending money going out to eat. I have cut down on this area, a LOT though, and also in January I am going to cut it out almost completely. I also tend to have a hard time not buying sweet products... gone in January. I tend to buy a fair amount of fresh fruits and veggies, and that is going to increase in January. I can always find them on sale though and buy frozen ones as well.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
December 15th, 2007, 06:04 PM
gctattoo
I have a major weakness for anything sweet. I will splurge on something I really don't need and I could make myself for a fifth of the price if I were so inclined. But I'm lazy and I buy it ready-made instead. Cookies, cake, pie, cheesecake, brownies-- it's all fair game to me. However, I am even frugal to a degree on that. Do you have any idea how bad I want to buy that big cheesecake sampler for $12? But $12?! I just can't do it and I want to soooo much.
December 15th, 2007, 09:01 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I'm a sucker for bakery bread or rolls ... like the artisan ones, french bread in particular. It's only like $1.89, but I *could* make it (though not well ... ha) for like a nickel.
December 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Super Mommy
Try the frozen blueberries. They're cheap and they thaw quickly. He'll like them in milk.

For me, it's sweets!
December 16th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh I have a lot. Sometimes I crave dishes from certain restaurants and it's like nothing else tastes good until I can have that, you know? A big weakness is pizza, I love that.
December 16th, 2007, 10:25 AM
CBMS
Well... my granola bars, I guess... I love them. I try to wait till a BOGO sale with coupons, but if I don't have a BOGO sale or coupons, I get them anyway.

And every now and then, I'll splurge on some fruits and veggies that I really can't afford... but I love them, so now and then the tastebuds win.
December 16th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd have to say it's sweets for me. I could make them, but I'm lazy. Wegmans has the tastiest cookies, which aren't even remotely frugal. I don't go there too often, but when I do it's an expensive trip.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search