What would you do??

Forum: Frugal Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Frugal Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Veteran
I have a little situation at work and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. Back in March I went from full-time to part time, only working Sat. and Sun. It was okayed with my managers. In August they scheduled me to work on a Tues, and a Wed night one week. I told them that I would work those days , but that from then on I couldn't be scheduled during the week because I wouldn't be able to work it. So this coming up week they have me scheduled for Friday night. I saw the "unofficial" schedule on Thurs night, so I left a note to my manager telling her I couldn't work it, DH is working over that night and I have no babysitter. So tonight I mention it to her and she tells me that another manager told her I had to work it because it was the holidays (he is not the store manager that I had approved the weekends only with). So she apologizes and pretty much tells me to fake being sick, get a doctors slip, and not work. Ummm......no?!?!? So then I find out that this manager is the one who was ranting and raving for two days about how I think I'm better than anyone else and I dont' have to work, and I should have to work because its the holidays, and blah blah blah. She just blamed it on the store manager so I wouldn't be upset with her!! Stupid "female dog"!!

So now I'm kinda stuck at what to do. DH says he can get out of working the overtime, but ummm.....he'll be making three times what I'll be making if I work!! Now how dumb is that?? Plus I don't want him to get in trouble with this being a new company he works for. Plus I just want to prove my point to my work. I feel like if there is a problem with me working just the weekends, I should be told about it before hand. What really really pisses me off is that I volunteered to work two differant nights in the past two weeks because they were short handed. And this is how I get repayed. I wish I could just tell them where to go, but I need this measly $90/week. (atleast DH thinks we do)

I could talk to the store manager that approved me to work weekends only. But he's a family friend and he'll tell me just get my mom to watch the kids . And she said she would. But again I kinda want to prove a point. Plus DS has therapy until 4:30 on Fridays and I'm scheduled at 5. EVEN if I find a babysitter, there is NO way I'll make it on time as therapy is 45 minutes away from my moms house, and then its another 15 minutes to get to work from my moms.

Why I have stuck around this place for 10 years, I don't know. They treat their employees like crap! I make $.50 less now than I did a year ago (cause I went from full time to part time), and I've not gotten a raise in over 5 years. I know that place inside and out, I've been there longer most everyone, and still get treated like crap.

Amanda - mommy to Madison 7, Anthony 4, Harrison 1 and step-mom to Nick 8.</div>
December 16th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to GinaOfAllTrades
Oh I feel your pain. I have been there before. Only I worked at this place for almost 2 years when I went from full to part time and then they started doing the same thing (not the same company as you but same situation). I on the other hand "stuck it to them." I called in that day and told them I couldn't work (i did NOT use the "I am sick" excuse because that was a lie), when they asked why, I told them because I could not get a sitter and that I told them that before hand. I wound up quitting that night but it was their own fault, they knew I couldn't work certain days and had they have asked and given me ample time I would have been able to help them.

I am sure you can find a new job if you need to. It really bothers me that you have been at your job for 10 years and now all of a sudden they are treating you like this. Just because the one manager doesn't seem to think it is fair. She obviously doesn't have any family obligations does she?

I hope you are able to work it out.
December 16th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Super Mommy
They only think about themselves, not you. I sort of see their point: it's the Christmas season and they need the extra help. However, as you stated, that's just too bad for them because you TOLD them that you'd only be available on the weekends.

No, don't let your dh give up 3x what you'd be making. That just wouldn't make sense. The problem is that they'll probably be pissy toward you after you refuse to work that lousy shift. Ugh, managers only care about themselves, they don't care about the needs of a person who has been a trusted employee for ten years.
December 16th, 2007, 09:29 AM
CBMS
I know how you feel.

Before I quit my job of seven years (it's been over two years now, but still...), I was the longest-running employee on the day shift. I was one of the original employees at that place. I loved my job because of my customers... I like most of the management--but not all. Everyone treated me like crap because I was (am!) admittedly, the owner's "pet." He was really a great boss, and we bs'ed all the time. Still do... as a result, most people I worked with didn't like me. I had scheduling conflicts, among other problems, and finally told them to get bent (in not such nice terms ). Honestly, I was losing money working there... so it was better in the long run (I had been there seven years with NO RAISES!)

I'm feisty, so I am pretty sure that I'd tell them to get bent. If you guys truly need this money, you should inform them that your son has therapy, and the scheduled time is absolutely impossible. Inform them that they WILL fix the schedule because you HAVE to take your son to therapy (even if they just change the time and you have your mom keep them for you)... do you have unions where you are? If so, then they certainly can't let you go for having to take your son therapy... it's different here--it's a right to work state, so they can fire you whenever and for whatever reason they want to here... not sure about where you're at though...
December 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I'd tell them to piss off, but I'm just that kind of girl. $90?! Come on. I can cut another $90 out of your budget, I promise, and you won't ever have to go there again.

Though I am partially confused ... did you tell them just Saturday/Sunday? or did you tell them 'weekends'? In my head 'weekends' includes Friday, so that may be what they're thinking.
December 16th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'd tell them to piss off, but I'm just that kind of girl. $90?! Come on. I can cut another $90 out of your budget, I promise, and you won't ever have to go there again.[/b]
I think she said 90/w so it's more like 360+/month, probably harder to cut out.
December 16th, 2007, 12:07 PM
*shrug* I'm of the mind that *most* people could probably cut much more than that from their average budget and barely notice. I'm a bare bones kind of girl, though.

How about finding another job? Or just telling them to piss off and see what happens? I don't know ... I'm kind of rambuncheous like that.
December 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Veteran
I told them Sat. and Sun. ONLY. Originally I was going to start a daycare Mon-Fri, and I was staying on just unitl I got that going. Then Anthony got diagnosed and started therapy so that blew the daycare. And I had to stay on there. I want to tell them to just screw off, I really really do. They have done this to me for wayyyy too long. But with DH's job, and the insurance just going up, I have no choice. We were on the right path for me to quit after March, but his insurance just doubled, so now we are right back where we started.
Mandi- our budget right now is awful. I'm pretty sure we make less than we spend. We've put alot on our credit cards just since Sept. I may get around to posting it for you, but I doubt there is much we can cut out. Dh wouldn't be willing to cut back on the things we could cut out.

I just told DH that I'm ready to just go on welfare. Every time we get things going good for us, we get screwed again somehow. Dh's insurance just went from $37/week to $73.50/week. Our deductible went from $150/person to $1250!! And the insurance will not cover one penny of ANYTHING until that deductible is met! They did start a health savings plan though to help them out!! So now we have to contribute to that too. Thankfully 3 out of 4 of our kids have Medicaid also. But I go back to the doctor in January to have another colposcopy done, so that is another $400 atleast, and knowing my luck I'll have to have another LEEP procedure done too.

Amanda - mommy to Madison 7, Anthony 4, Harrison 1 and step-mom to Nick 8.</div>
December 16th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Veteran
Ok Mandi I posted my budget for you over on financial planning. Please be nice

December 16th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Sweet. I'll take a look at it. Remember, I'm never mean to people that want to change. Only to people who think change is like magic, and that I'm an evil budget goon for disagreeing.
December 16th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Veteran
Oh I know you aren't really mean!! Unfortunatly I do live with someone who doesn't want to change, and thinks the bills get paid by magic!! Just keep that in mind LOL

December 17th, 2007, 09:40 AM
That husband of yours may end up on my shin kicking list for his stubborn and uninformed ways.
December 17th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Veteran
I do kinda see his point though. He HAS to work, he feels like I should to. Why should I get to sit home all day while he's at work?? And then on top of that cut out his cable/internet/toy car?? Not that all I do is sit on my butt all day long, but I think I spoiled him when I did everything I do now, plus worked 40+ hours/week.

December 17th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Tell him he should "sit around all day" and you'll go to work. I'd bet that he wouldn't last a week.
December 17th, 2007, 11:40 PM
It's not so much that he shouldn't be afforded luxuries. If you wanted to stay home, and spend $300 a month on internet gambling that you couldn't afford, he'd have something to complain about. However, your budget is in the hole every month and you're living on credit. It's not that you're stopping him from having his 'extras', it's that your paychecks should not be allowing your extras. The budget has to balance to zero, whether or not he feels entitled to more than that, he can't make magical money come from nowhere. If he wants more, he has to make more money. The end.
December 18th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Veteran
I understand that, really I do, but his theory is that when I was woking full time, we could afford all those luxories. I promised him when I tried to start the daycare that nothing would change financially. That I could bring in the same amount of money. Well now I"m not!!

"The budget has to balance to zero, whether or not he feels entitled to more than that, he can't make magical money come from nowhere. If he wants more, he has to make more money. The end"

His thinking is that I should make more.

December 18th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
But if working full time is not possible due to your son's therapy then that's a whole different situation. He sounds like a spoiled child. I want, I want. Is the son with autism his bio child? If not, perhaps he's thinking somewhere in his crazy head (which I do not agree with!) your kid, your problem. Fine, if he wants you to make more, then tell him the extra day care costs that you would have by not staying home and time taken off work to take your son to therapy has to be split-50/50. All the bills get paid first (him paying for his extracar/extra insurance) and such and then see what is left over.

It shouldn't have to be like this, he should WANT to provide for his family first and PLAY 2nd. But apparently that is not the situation!
December 18th, 2007, 06:31 AM
CBMS
Quote:
I do kinda see his point though. He HAS to work, he feels like I should to. Why should I get to sit home all day while he's at work?? And then on top of that cut out his cable/internet/toy car?? Not that all I do is sit on my butt all day long, but I think I spoiled him when I did everything I do now, plus worked 40+ hours/week.[/b]

Is he one of those that thinks that the children just magically take care of themselves? And clothes get washed and folded and put away by magic? And the floors get swept and mopped by the helpful little mice? I have one of those.

I will do those things staying home and not working outside the home, but you better believe that when I was working, I expected help. If we are both working, we are both cleaning and cooking. If he's working and the cooking and cleaning is my job, then that's different...

mine still thinks it's all magically done, though... *******... I'm lazy, don't you know? Despite the fact that I do ALL the cooking, shopping, cleaning, etc. I admittedly don't do his wash anymore. I don't fold it correctly, so he can do it hisowndarnself. Bite me. I do that other stuff WHILE caring for a busy toddler. I'm so lazy...
December 18th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Veteran
Well I TRY to do all the cleaning/laundry/shopping. But here lately it's near impossible! Once one room is clean, Harrison has the other room a mess! Plus sometimes Anthony goes on a rampage and totally destroys a room in minutes (he's the one with Autism, and sometimes he just gets really upset/frustrated) And yes by the way, Anthony is his bio child.

I think his problem is that he would rather be in debt than look poor. He has to keep up with everyone else to look good. Credit card debt does not bother him. He says we'll be in debt for the rest of our lives, why not start now??

And I could technically find a job that is second or third shift. Or I do have the option of working more nights at the job I have now. Which I have seriously been considering. But then again, if I do that and he has to work overtime, I would be in a situation KWIM??

He says he's going to look for a better job after the first of the year. I really doubt there are many out there though. Walmart Distirbution is about the only one and that worries me. But he say's he may only have his job now until next year anyways. During this conversation I told him maybe I could get a job, but he pretty much told me to quit being stupid.

He wants to support our family, but he wants everything else too. I don't know what to do.

December 18th, 2007, 09:11 AM
He really needs to stop talking out his arse. At this point, you cannot have both luxury and non-stressful lives where the electric bill doesn't get turned off, kwim? Can he add? I mean, seriously, credit cards will only get you so far since you have to send them money too each month, and they won't let you use a credit card to pay another one. Remind me, didn't I have issues the last time I ran your budget with your husband?

I'd work more hours if I were you. Make sure you work off hours of DH. If he claims to have 'overtime', do not spaz about who is going to watch the babies. His overtime, his problem. Let him figure it out. And cancel your cable.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search